Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 167 of 714 FirstFirst ... 67 117 157 165 166 167 168 169 177 217 267 667 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Fuck Adumbros is on a distinguished road Adumbros's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Rodman was underrated for sure. Glad to see you mention Robertson. I don't think anyone will ever be quite as good as the Big O. When someone else puts up career numbers that average a triple-double, only then should the conversation of greatest player ever be revisited. There have been better pure shooters, better pure defensive players, better pure rebounders, but there has never been anyone who could come close to putting the total game together night after night, year after year the way Robertson did.
    indeed. Oscar is truly my favorite player, even though he never played a minute for my fave team (Boston). I would have a hard time with best pure shooter...maybe Reggie Miller comes to mind. That motherfucker was a beast with the ball in his hands, and the more it mattered, the deadlier he was. yes, I would take Miller over Larry Legend, as astounding as that may sound.

Best pure defensive player: Wilt Chamberlain. No one else has ever come close to leading the league in both steals and blocks.

Best pure rebounder: even more than Rodman, Bill Russell. Ol' B-Russ went toe-to-toe with Wilt, who was at least 5 inches taller, and constantly dominated him, usually outrebounding him by 20 caroms or more.

I like the way you debate. Most "fans" have little if any education beyond the first game they ever witnessed, and also want to base their arguments on who did the most (i.e., the argument for Jordan or Kobe as best scorer) or the most often (i.e. Stockton for best point guard...but let's be realistic, when situations are tailor-made specifically for a player, then his stock plummets in my books).

You would make an interesting co-anchor on a sports-talk show, altho i highly doubt ESPN would ever take notice of either of us.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

guys... did you get Daghain's subtle hint? this is a What are you currently reading? thread.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm re-reading Dracula because I just got a copy of it that has a bunch of critical essays included. Even when I'm not in school I geek out over critical essays. lol.
    ♪♪No secret, no matter how nasty can poison your voice or keep you from joy ♪♪ -- Perfume Genius

My Mood
    Brooding

also reading Thinner, which is the book that most proves my affection for Brice and my ability to put others before self. I found a paperback 1st edition of the book in a mom-and-pop store for !!!!89cents!!!! several years back, and immediately thought of him, and sent it to him for his b-day.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbros View Post
    also reading Thinner, which is the book that most proves my affection for Brice and my ability to put others before self. I found a paperback 1st edition of the book in a mom-and-pop store for !!!!89cents!!!! several years back, and immediately thought of him, and sent it to him for his b-day.
    Wasn't it you the First of The Running Man came from?

I am reading Venus Plus X by Theodore Sturgeon... among several others I've already listed.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Brooding

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Wasn't it you the First of The Running Man came from?

I am reading Venus Plus X by Theodore Sturgeon... among several others I've already listed.
    could be. i know i got you the first of Thinner. altho admittedly i haven't had much time for treasure-hunting these last few years. however, i plan to renew my packratting habits very soon. in fact, i found something that i intend to get two copies of if at all possible: 1st edition signed hardcover of Carrie.

next project after It and Thinner will probably be to find a copy of Rage. been a good long while since i read that.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I myself am 700 pages into It, having just witnessed The Apocalyptic Rockfight.
    My favorite. I get excited whenever I hear someone's reading it. Is this your first time, or have you previously read it?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished The Listeners and Other Poems by Walter de la Mare and am starting Collected Poems by Philip Larkin. I only get a 1/2 hour lunch, so I find it easier to keep a poetry book around to kill time - I have more time at home to read books. This explains my weird parallel reading habits - poetry at work and brain candy at home.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Brooding

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I myself am 700 pages into It, having just witnessed The Apocalyptic Rockfight.
    My favorite. I get excited whenever I hear someone's reading it. Is this your first time, or have you previously read it?
    No verily...In fact, every time I read it, I keep expecting Stan to haul off and pop Richie in the fuckin mouth for some of his rather tasteless (even by Trashmouth standards) Jewish cracks.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Too many books to enumerate here, but here are a few of them,

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex, by Mary Roach

The Case Against Immigration, by Michael Krikorian

Yours, Jack, which is basically a condensed version of a collection of letters penned by C.S. Lewis.

Lust, Caution, by Eileen Chang

I'm also rereading The Bell Jar.

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

Re-reading Everything's Eventual.

I read LSofE when I first got it about a month ago and felt sort of soothed at being reunited with Roland (even if only for a short time).

I forgot how creepy "The Man in the Black Suit" was. I'm now in the middle of "Everything's Eventual."

Prior to this, I finished The Coma by Alex Garland. I picked it up because I really enjoyed The Beach. Wish I could say the same for the other.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

My Mood
    Brooding

ready to start on Thinner, finally, having completed the near-Biblical tome that is It.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Dark Tower V: Do i even need to say the title of this book?...
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-tet View Post
    The Dark Tower V: Do i even need to say the title of this book?...
    say it! say it! it's my favorite of them all, I love to see it mentioned no matter how often!

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

WOLVES OF THE CALLA!!!!

177 pages in two days, and thats just at breaks in college >.<
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

My Mood
    Brooding

Even though i can't call it my fave, i did think that it was overall the best. yes, granted, song of susannah was nonstop action. but the story in WOTC was INCREDIBLE. for once in the set, King had actually introduced characters outside the ka-tet that were more than just subtle, wet paper imitations of a cast, and the work he did with those characters was outstanding.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-tet View Post
    WOLVES OF THE CALLA!!!!

177 pages in two days, and thats just at breaks in college >.<

Traveler frankybeans is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default amazons new product

check out the amazon kindle. digital book. its cool stuff. you can download entire books for 1 dollar

My Mood
    Brooding

i'm actually on the shelf for His Dark Materials trilogy once i finish Thinner. (for those not in the know, the movie The Golden Compass was based off of HDM Volume I: Northern Lights.)

Gunslinger Apprentice leaveittobeezer is on a distinguished road leaveittobeezer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

just got done reading Watchmen & all i can say is...wow

btw frankybeans i bought the kindle in June & i gotta say i love it. most books are more than a dollar but they're a helluva lot cheaper than if you would buy' em at borders
    "The Man in Black fled across the desert, and June Carter followed"

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by leaveittobeezer View Post
    just got done reading Watchmen & all i can say is...wow
    Excellent!

Are you a comics/GN fan in general, or did you pick it up after watching the movie trailer?

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Yay, another Watchmen fan.
    I need to read it again (a couple times) before the film.

Currently Reading: Man Gone Down by Michael Thomas

Hail, Odin Sol is on a distinguished road Sol's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Currently re-reading/buying Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis and Darrick Robertson.

I love this comic series! ^_^

Gunslinger Apprentice leaveittobeezer is on a distinguished road leaveittobeezer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I used to collect comics ages ago, & just recently began collecting again.
    Started with the DT adaptations, then i picked up Watchmen after seeing the trailer. One book that I never got around to reading years ago was the Sandman. Picked up the first 3 series (Preludes & Nocturnes, The Doll's House, & Dream Country) & devoured them. I've always loved Neil Gaiman but never bothered to read Sandman before now. Soooooooo good!
    "The Man in Black fled across the desert, and June Carter followed"

My Mood
    Brooding

i used to collect comics myself; i never re-started because the modern shit just isn't anywhere near as good. the last comic i remember buying was X-Men:Omega, and though i reveled highly in the Age of Apocalypse series, even then the quality of comic books was in serious decline. I haven't been able to pick anything up since, and it's sad, because when i did collect, i had shit you wouldn't believe; i.e. Uncanny X-Men #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, Incredible Hulk #180, Amazing Spiderman #345, Secret Wars #8/Web of Spiderman #18/Amazing Spiderman #300, etc. etc. but once the concept fell from grace, i couldn't even bring myself to keep any of those; alas, the only comics i currently own at all are the Age of Apocalype set and its four-book predecessor, Legion Quest.

shame.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 167 of 714 FirstFirst ... 67 117 157 165 166 167 168 169 177 217 267 667 ... LastLast