Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 434 of 714 FirstFirst ... 334 384 424 432 433 434 435 436 444 484 534 ... LastLast
Results 10,826 to 10,850 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Thinking of trying something very different. Anyone read Koji Suzuki's Ring books? Yes, the novels the Japanese and the American Ring movies were based on. There are three novels, Ring, Spiral, and Loop, and a collection called Birthday. I vaguely remember seeing the first Ring in theaters and being scared shitless, but that's all I've experienced of the franchise. I wonder what the source books are like.
    Have you read any Alex Garland? I quite enjoy his writting style...read everything except The Tesseract.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I've been breaking up the longer novels with the short story collections or shorter books in general and have been happy with it. Of course, to each their own. You should really get a copy of IT, also. It's a spectacular book.
    Thanks Dan but I have got IT and, as you say, thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember the t.v. film and loved that as well.

I just went mad on e-bay one day and brought loads of King books I didn't have (may have been drunk as well), hence the backlog. I suppose it just took me a while to get to King's 'other' books ( as opposed to the big titles).
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Thinking of trying something very different. Anyone read Koji Suzuki's Ring books? Yes, the novels the Japanese and the American Ring movies were based on. There are three novels, Ring, Spiral, and Loop, and a collection called Birthday. I vaguely remember seeing the first Ring in theaters and being scared shitless, but that's all I've experienced of the franchise. I wonder what the source books are like.
    Have you read any Alex Garland? I quite enjoy his writting style...read everything except The Tesseract.
    Oh, he's written novels, has he? I'll have to check those out. I only really know him as the guy who wrote the script for 28 Days Later and a certain upcoming film based on a British comic, but I enjoyed 28DL for the story as much as for the directing.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Will check him out, thanks.

Always like finding out about new stuff.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Grabbed two books from the library today...this is what they are...

and

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia - King. 60 pages in, so far, so good.
    Koontz - What The Night Knows. Half done. Very good so far.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    The Ring (movies) franchise did absolutely nothing for me. I wish I was scared once during it, but I was only bored. To me there was no horror to it. I know nothing of the books though.
    I didn't find the movie very good, but definitely creepy. And didn't know they were all based on books. Found a couple of reviews on YouTube and it really sounds enticing:

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, close to finishing A Game of Thrones, just about 80 pages left to read, and I've just reached MAJOR SPOILER:

Spoiler:
    the death of Ned Stark. My reaction can best be summarised with this:

Spoiler:

"YOU ****ING IDIOT, MAN!"

Seriously, the number of dumb, naive mistakes that guy made...I mean he was noble, and that was ok, but man, did he have shit for brains at times! Still, it was a sad moment, seeing it through Arya's eyes.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    Grabbed two books from the library today...this is what they are...

and

Cthulhu will wait to eat your soul until you finish it.

....if you don't take too long.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Finally!!

sk
    I'm about halfways (yes, I'm a pretty slow reader) and after a very promising opening I must say the story has lost (some of) its momentum. Hope things will pick up!

sk

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm currently in the middle of Jules Verne's books. I've read 26, 58 to go! They're pretty good stories and not only for kids.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally!!

sk
    I'm about halfways (yes, I'm a pretty slow reader) and after a very promising opening I must say the story has lost (some of) its momentum. Hope things will pick up!

sk
    It's all downhill from there, sadly.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post
    I'm currently in the middle of Jules Verne's books. I've read 26, 58 to go! They're pretty good stories and not only for kids.
    I agree! I've read many of them. I don't know exactly how many though.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I forgot to mention I'm also reading Neuromancer by Gibson. I'm 2/3 done. It's a very demanding read that needs full immersion and concentration. I like it a lot.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I finished Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie last night and started Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John Scalzi. Both are really great books. Redshirts has a very unique twist on the scifi Redshirt concept.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Ok, close to finishing A Game of Thrones, just about 80 pages left to read, and I've just reached MAJOR SPOILER:

Spoiler:
    the death of Ned Stark. My reaction can best be summarised with this:

Spoiler:

"YOU ****ING IDIOT, MAN!"

Seriously, the number of dumb, naive mistakes that guy made...I mean he was noble, and that was ok, but man, did he have shit for brains at times! Still, it was a sad moment, seeing it through Arya's eyes.

*hands DD a cookie and his Welcome to the GRRM Club badge*

Starting my re-read of Winds of War and War and Rememberance.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I'll start it tomorrow, B. I got distracted with A War of Gifts, and I'm still halfway through Homecoming book 5.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

Has anyone ever read The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley? I started it a little while ago and find myself - still - only about half way through. It's an interesting read (for a literature fan) but for some reason it's taking me an awfully long time! I can usually finish a book of this size in just a few hours and can't figure out why this one is slowing my reading pace.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I read that a long time ago. I don't remember much about it, but I don't recall having any problem getting into it.

John

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    I'll start it tomorrow, B. I got distracted with A War of Gifts, and I'm still halfway through Homecoming book 5.
    Pittering around until you say go.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I finished Floating Dragon and Locke & Key Vol. 1. Now I'm starting Duma Key. It gets a lot of love here, so I am looking forward to it.

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I finally finished the Haunted Bookshop. I figured out why I took so long to read it, too. The author is following a mysterious plot with a bit of romance thrown in, but takes tangents to discuss war and humanity and reading etc. In these tangents, I would note the other works referenced and I think that my own mind would wander farther down the digression and away from the story, which is why I kept putting the book down so often. It is a very good book!

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm 180ish pages into Duma Key and loving it. I like this style of King where he introduces bits of the horror slowly.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The Road.

I'm loving this book so much!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 434 of 714 FirstFirst ... 334 384 424 432 433 434 435 436 444 484 534 ... LastLast