Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 625 of 714 FirstFirst ... 125 525 575 615 623 624 625 626 627 635 675 ... LastLast
Results 15,601 to 15,625 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished up Tuesdays with Morrie.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    How'd you like it? Albom takes heat for his works being lightweight fluff, but I think they do a nice job simply illustrating the things most people, deep down, find important.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

I do the same thing. Plus our library just had a huge sale and I walked away with 8 books. Not sure if or when I'll ever get to them I joined a local Stephen King bookclub so I've been re-reading a ton of King lately, but I've been trying to squeeze in another book in between those.
    So many books, so little time!

Look, one of my genuine fears in life is missing out on reading some great book. I imagine I'm on my deathbed and I realize that there's some wonderful book that I never got around to reading and I'm full of regret and sadness right before I die.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed it for what it was. It wasn't technically a deep read but hit on subjects, like you said, most people are curious about and think about. It wasn't great literature but didn't need to be. It provided a story of life after death in it's own way.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    How'd you like it? Albom takes heat for his works being lightweight fluff, but I think they do a nice job simply illustrating the things most people, deep down, find important.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Currently reading The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.
    I read that one a few years back for my dystopian lit. class. It's an interesting idea to have each chapter about different people (all revolving around Mars), but I remember being disappointed that we wouldn't be following the same group for the whole book. It didn't give me that "gotta read the next chapter now!" feeling.
    I can see why you'd say that. There's no real urgency to the story. I just feel like I'm reading it to have a book in my hands. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I was angry at that book the first time I read it. I loved it the second time.

Reading: The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi.

If a book made me angry the first time around, there's no way I'd even give it a second chance. Books get one shot with me.
    Heck, I'm bad about dropping a book halfway through if I'm not feeling it. I hate that I do that, but if I keep going even though I'm not enjoying it, it just drags on forever and I start to resent the story and the characters.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I do the same thing. Although sometimes I only give it a few pages
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

I've gotten really bad about giving up on books lately. I recently got more than 3/4 of the way into a book before saying forget it. I even flipped to the last page to "accidentally" spoil the story for my self so there would be no way for me to keep reading it.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've gotten really bad about giving up on books lately. I recently got more than 3/4 of the way into a book before saying forget it. I even flipped to the last page to "accidentally" spoil the story for my self so there would be no way for me to keep reading it.
    My worst was when I only had 30 pages left to read, but I still put the book down. Wish I thought to jump ahead and read the last page or two
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My worst was when I only had 30 pages left to read, but I still put the book down. Wish I thought to jump ahead and read the last page or two

Yeah, I was all [turns to the last page and reads the ending] "Whoops, it got spoiled for me. Guess I have to put the book down and start something else. What a shame."

We should have a thread devoted to spoiling books for each other when we don't want to finish them.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I too, for a very long time, didn't like abandoning a book mid story. However, like many of you have said, there are just too many books to read to waste time forcing yourself to press on.

A couple of years ago I started a new internal process of elimination. If it's a novel, if I'm not captured by the end of the second chapter I'm done. If a novella, first 10 pages. If short story, first 5. I feel that if the story just hasn't sucked me in by then, I can justifiably move on to the next. This is not to say the author is/was bad, it just wasn't my cup-o-tea.

I do, however, try to be selective about what goes to the reading list to minimize this.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post
    I too, for a very long time, didn't like abandoning a book mid story. However, like many of you have said, there are just too many books to read to waste time forcing yourself to press on.

A couple of years ago I started a new internal process of elimination. If it's a novel, if I'm not captured by the end of the second chapter I'm done. If a novella, first 10 pages. If short story, first 5. I feel that if the story just hasn't sucked me in by then, I can justifiably move on to the next. This is not to say the author is/was bad, it just wasn't my cup-o-tea.

I do, however, try to be selective about what goes to the reading list to minimize this.
    Wow, I like how you have your process of elimination down to a science.

And I also try to be picky about what I add to my list. I'm always browsing Goodreads to find new books, but I always try to preview a book before even adding it because I have to know if I'm going to like the writing style.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I like how you have your process of elimination down to a science.

And I also try to be picky about what I add to my list. I'm always browsing Goodreads to find new books, but I always try to preview a book before even adding it because I have to know if I'm going to like the writing style.
    I reference goodreads a lot too. I try to stay away from written reviews as I like to go into stories knowing as little as possible. I don't even fully read story summaries anymore, just the first couple of sentences or the tag line. That and if it has a 3.8 or above on goodreads I will give it a shot. I usually don't go below that on authors I'm not familiar with. I feel with this my odds of reading a total junker are slimmer. Sounds snobby I know. I do gamble from time to time based on recommendations and am pleasantly surprised. If not, the process from my previous post usually comes into play.

Just here recently, my wife was reading a random book from an Amazon sale. An author we've never heard of (Kendra Eliot), the book is called 'Vanished.' My wife says to me, "You may want to check this out, it's like what you're writing." Not something you want to hear. Quick back story, I'm writing a novel about a child abduction (presently is sitting at roughly 54k words - approx 200 pages). 'Vanished' by Kendra Eliot is about a child abduction. My protagonist's name is Mason. The protagonist in 'Vanished' is also named Mason. I couldn't believe it. So I looked it up in goodreads, over 4.0, so I read it. I didn't read more into it outside of those two tid-bits from my wife. Thankfully, although same general premise, the stories are very much different. With that said, I really enjoyed 'Vanished' and couldn't put it down. If you're ever up for a chance of pace in a fairly quick read, check it out.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished The Routledge Atlas Of The Second World War by Martin Gilbert; I quite enjoyed it.

I don't know where one would decide to draw the line on what events/processes get their own map, but there's lots of "off the beaten path" type things here such as Japanese balloon bombs (of course, if you're a well-read WWII buff, you've probably beaten many paths). One fun fact: a group of German and Italian POWs escaped a Canadian camp...only to flee back to the camp after encountering a grizzly bear.

I'll repeat some of my previously offered background info in case it should prove useful to anyone reading:

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Yes, it is an atlas, but one you can just pick up and read (if you are so inclined) as the maps contain explanatory text, and there are an introduction and epilogue. For those who are read up on WWII, this makes a fine reference companion to have on hand.

A few words about who is behind this:

Routledge is a publisher of many reference works (some visible at [url]www.routledgehandbooks.com).

Martin Gilbert was a respected historian, among whose most notable works were the last 6 volumes of an 8-volume biography of Winston Churchill that had been begun by Randolph Churchill (the Prime Minister's son); details and info at http://www.martingilbert.com.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Recently started The Second World War, Volume I: The Gathering Storm by Winston Churchill (the man himself).

Churchill's writing is dense (you need to be locked in and paying attention), but engaging (not fatiguing) - he whisks the reader through recent history and ongoing events, easily weaving causes, effects, and his own opinions (of course) into a seamless whole. Compelling and rich reading.

I picked this up yesterday at the bookstore:
    Sure the interviews and conversations are more than 20 years old, but I feel pretty lucky to come across anythink Stephen King that I've yet to read.

I'm also about 3/4 through Robert McCammon's Baal. Man, compared to Boy's Life, this book is pretty cringeworthy.
    But good.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Started reading The Sleepwalker by Chris Bohjalian, based on a glowing review in the Washington Post. Not too far along, but pretty good so far.

I'm also about 3/4 through Robert McCammon's Baal. Man, compared to Boy's Life, this book is pretty cringeworthy.
    But good.
    I should have a McCammon recommendation in the not-too-distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post

And what would that be?

I'm really torn over which McCammon book to read next. Swan Song, Gone South, and Speaks the Nightbird all sound incredible. Can anyone steer me toward the best choice?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post

And what would that be?

I'm really torn over which McCammon book to read next. Swan Song, Gone South, and Speaks the Nightbird all sound incredible. Can anyone steer me toward the best choice?
    Depends on how long of a journey you want to hop on?

WTB:

Country
    Country Flag

If you enjoyed The Stand and want another tome to read, I'd say Swan Song is an interesting adventure. There are many debates on the two as the premise is similar and the writing style are also much alike. Of course there are key differences between the two authors and the two stories. I wish I could find the article, but McCammon stated that King was an inspiration to him and that he wanted to write an epic post apocalyptic novel like The Stand. The same with a vampire story (They Thirst) There is also a lot of discussion on which one is better. I enjoyed them both. If you enjoyed the writing style of McCammon it's an interesting journey. Much like any book of this size, it has its slow parts. Many lovable characters too.

WTB:

Country
    Country Flag

There are also fun short stories in Blue World.

WTB:

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There are also fun short stories in Blue World.
    Love Blue World - a very underrated collection of short stories.
    But then, McCammon is an underrated author.
    Unfortunately.
    He's not as good as King (no one is), but when he's good, he's awesome (Boy's Life, Swan Song, Speaks the Nightbird...)
    He did write a couple of clunkers though, like The Border...

sk

sk

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I got lucky with the last three books:

Dennis Lehane - Prayers for Rain
    Jonathan Lethem - Bathing the Lion
    Ken Grimwood - Replay

All incredible stories. I finally started reading Boy's Life and ten pages in, I'm already hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post

All incredible stories. I finally started reading Boy's Life and ten pages in, I'm already hooked.
    Yes!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 625 of 714 FirstFirst ... 125 525 575 615 623 624 625 626 627 635 675 ... LastLast