Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 356 of 714 FirstFirst ... 256 306 346 354 355 356 357 358 366 406 456 ... LastLast
Results 8,876 to 8,900 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kluker View Post
    harry potter and the philosopher's stone

John

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished The Talisman.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I just read
    Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeline Roux (AMAZING: best zombie book ever)
    and am reading Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth (the kind of book about vampires that even people who don't like vampire books will like!!!)
    I've starting reading Brain Box Blues (a Eureka! novel) but haven't gotten very far yet.
    And I'm re-reading for probably the 500th time the only Uncle John's Bathroom Reader I have, the absolutely absorbing one.
    Oh and I just read Sarah's Key, and that was very good.
    I'm trying to read Suite Francaise but it's just not plugging along the way I need a book to in my busy life right now. I need more time to really absorb it.
    And I read Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah, which I quite enjoyed.

Now I'm reading "The Final Nexus" a Star Trek book; "Brain Box Blues", a Eureka book; and looking for new good stuff along the way...

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm reading Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz.

This is my first time reading a Koontz novel. I've read negative things about him (mainly on SK sites I think. Possibly here, but I forget, certainly on the main SK site). I saw this book in the library and out of curiosity decided to pick it up.

I actually really like his style and I'm enjoying the story so far. It does rely quite a bit on coincidence (or apparent coincidence maybe), but, since I suspect a paranormal side to the story (that's not 100% certain yet, that the supernatural) maybe what seems to be coincidence is actually destiny. (I actually don't mind a bit of that in a fantasy story).

I wonder if this is a common device with Koontz, and if that's what his naysayers dislike. King often uses the same device though, particularly in a certain series of books we all like...

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Now reading Speaks the Nightbird, by Robert McCammon. Very different so far!

John

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post

This is my first time reading a Koontz novel. I've read negative things about him (mainly on SK sites I think. Possibly here, but I forget, certainly on the main SK site). I saw this book in the library and out of curiosity decided to pick it up.

I actually really like his style and I'm enjoying the story so far. It does rely quite a bit on coincidence (or apparent coincidence maybe), but, since I suspect a paranormal side to the story (that's not 100% certain yet, that the supernatural) maybe what seems to be coincidence is actually destiny. (I actually don't mind a bit of that in a fantasy story).

I wonder if this is a common device with Koontz, and if that's what his naysayers dislike. King often uses the same device though, particularly in a certain series of books we all like...
    Sure he does. That's not exactly a good description of what's disliked about Koontz. He's just a bit too conventional. Doesn't quite have the depth or deft hand of SK, and I don't think that he's hit equal peaks of creativity. But his stuff's ok for fun sometimes.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I was in love with that book when I was a kid. I read it many times. I reread it not a long time ago to find out if it could make an impression on me. Well I must have changed a lot because it couldn't touch me much this time BUT still I love it because of the good memories.

Roland would have understood.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post

Sure he does. That's not exactly a good description of what's disliked about Koontz. He's just a bit too conventional. Doesn't quite have the depth or deft hand of SK, and I don't think that he's hit equal peaks of creativity. But his stuff's ok for fun sometimes.
    I agree with everything stated here.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

My friend Roy says that Koontz is like the Tab (kind of pop) of the horror world. Diet Stephen King, and never really that good for you.. but it fools you by tasting good.

I wouldn't know seeing as I've never had Tab, but I've read some of him and I'm annoyed that every book that I read by him ends up being first person. That's my LEAST favorite POV in stories! But he's entertaining and he kept me going.. which is actually a success. I read the books about the guy who can't go out in the light.. can't remember the titles of all of them...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Not so much the Diet Coke Stephen King, but, the regular coke that you leave outside of the fridge for three weeks during the summer and then drink and realize it's gone horribly, horribly bad.

I'm joking though, I have nothing against Koontz. I actually loved Phantoms, still do, it's just that his penchant for playing it safe becomes irritable at times.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    I read the books about the guy who can't go out in the light.. can't remember the titles of all of them...
    Chris Snow! He's the main character in the book I'm reading. So he appears in others...

I'm still slowly reading through. I've noticed I'm not gobbling it up like I would a King book, but, I'm still enjoying it when I read it. It's partly the writing style, not that I'm knocking the plot itself. It's kept a decent snappy pace and there's a good mystery and
    Spoiler:
    killer monkeys, hee hee!

The stuff that happened in
    Spoiler:
    the poor nurse's house actually pretty creepy. Not just the death, but that stuff with the dolls...

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post

Wow, I must be undereducated, after all -- I can't even think of a single halfway good reason to do that.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Dolphins always be talking shit. I thought everyone knew that.

Plus, if you watch King Of The Hill, you might learn dolphins are sex offenders.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice KindredAutmn is on a distinguished road KindredAutmn's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

The Hobbit J.R.R Tolkien

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

"The Egg Said Nothing" by Caris O'Malley

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Sorcerer's House by Gene Wolfe

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Just about to start "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss....Book II of the Kingkiller Chronicles. Uh-mazing fantasy series. Highly, highly recommended.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

has anyone here read any of the Ranger's Apprentice books? One of my coworkers raves about them and compares them to the ASOIAF books, but from what I've read they're teen books? Not that I have a problem with teen books, Tamora Pierce is one of my favorite reads.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

About 200 pages into Black House. Really liking it so far!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Going to the bookstore sometime this weekend
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Most people didn't like the beginning of Black House. I found the style a bit off-putting myself, but on rereads, I liked it more and more.

John

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

people maybe, but bears love it

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Most people didn't like the beginning of Black House. I found the style a bit off-putting myself, but on rereads, I liked it more and more.

John
    It's definitely a different style than The Talisman, especially since there's no mention of
    Spoiler:
    Jack and the events in The Talisman for a little bit.
    But I really like how they've set everything up so far. Jack is becoming one of my favorite SK characters.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 356 of 714 FirstFirst ... 256 306 346 354 355 356 357 358 366 406 456 ... LastLast