Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 175 of 714 FirstFirst ... 75 125 165 173 174 175 176 177 185 225 275 675 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,375 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've tried once, but didn't advance too far

Though I have to admit, I am not a big fan of the movie, either - those gangsta passions bore me like hell

I have to say find the Hitchcock's Rebecca far better than the Dumaurier's.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I read Mario Puzo's Godfather. I thought it was quite good. Different strokes I suppose.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it's not bad, no; it's quite decent. I think I would have made it through if not for the topic - there are things I can read about only if they are very well (not just decently) written: love, Far West, gangsters, vampires... On the other hand, there are things I can read even if they are terribly (well, within reason) written - schoolkids, Middle Ages, classical Japan, any non-vampire horror...

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IWasSentWest View Post
    wow i bet yall hate reading my typing..
    how did you guess?????

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain
    I'll take the overuse of italics over a lack of quotation marks any day!
    Absolutely. Because the latter isn't only confusing, it's annoying like hell. Instead of reading, you are in a constant inner dialogue with the writer, which goes like that:

why can't you use them, motherfucker? is it that difficult? is it that you're not sure whether you should put the period mark inside or outside the closing quotation mark? use Yahoo Answers, for God's sake, or wikipedia, if they didn't teach you that at school. Or do you think it will distinguish you from other writers? Is it that deep inside you suspect that your story or your writing isn't worth shit, so you have to use those tricks to make the reader remember at least something about you? (etc, etc, etc)
    This, exactly. That, and I HATE having to go back and reread a passage because I've just discovered it's dialogue and don't know WTF is going on.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

I am about 50 pages away from the end of Blaze.

I have to put it down.

I do so wish Mr.King had published it when it was written, and I had read it when I was younger and could have taken it.

Now I am old and soft, and I only recently read Roadwork, and I just can't, no, not again. Blaze is even worse, because Roadwork was all about me, and I cried for myself; and Blaze is all about what I am not, it's all about others, and somehow it makes it worse (maybe because I know that I am at least alive, after all).

I will read something that I won't take close to heart now - luckily, I have a Mary Higgins Clark yet unread, and that's just what I need (John Saul would be fine, but I have exhausted my Saul supply). I think I will put Blaze in my bag, and read it in public transport... one doesn't cry in public transport, does he? not especially if he is a fully grown bear? or a man who looks like he belongs in Thunder Five?

I hate Bachman. I know King would offer at least some consolation, and I know Bachman won't.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I sympathise with you Jean, Blaze is on my reread pile because I only skimmed it last time I read it as it was hard going.

I'm currently plodding through "Fool's Errand" which is book one in Robin Hobb's Tawny Man Trilogy. It's ok, but I'm not gripped by it yet...I'll persevere because my sister said the trilogy were some of the best books she'd ever read.

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anybody read "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss? The next book of the series is coming out soon and I want it bad!
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Jean what are some good John Saul books that you'd recommend. I've picked up quite a few from yard sales and used bookstores around here, but I've only read The Blackstone Chronicles (which I really enjoyed). I've got Creature, Midnight Voices, The Unloved, and Sleepwalk.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I decided that I am going to switch off between stories from Nightmares & Dreamscapes and 20th Century Ghosts. I'm already about 200 pages into N&D but Joe Hill keeps calling out to me. This will be an interesting way to compare writing styles.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh cool! I'm reading 20th Century Ghosts right now! We can compare notes!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

I'm about to start it...going over to the bookshelf now. I'm pretty excited!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm only about 20 pages in but it rocks so far. I think you'll really like the first story!

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved 20th Century Ghosts, for the most part. It inspired me to go out and buy his novel, although that could completely suck; who knows?

Traveler jessamine is on a distinguished road jessamine's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by IWasSentWest View Post
    Anybody read "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss? The next book of the series is coming out soon and I want it bad!
    Read this several months ago and am looking forward to the next one.

Citizen of Gilead tamez is on a distinguished road tamez's Avatar

:rose:

I had meant to start a re-read of DT5
    but i avoided it in favor of reading Everything's Eventual
    again.
    i just really didn't like DT5 and it upset me
    that I didn't like it.
    i KNOW i have to go through it again
    and hopefully feel better about it
    i'm just dreading it because maybe i'll
    hate it even MORE this time..
    There are other worlds than these.
    "You brought your bitch to the Waffle Hut?"

"(859): You were wearing a sombrero. And a crown. And told me to use the nerf gun to protect your room from the cat. You don't have a cat."
    ~ texts from last night

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    I loved 20th Century Ghosts, for the most part. It inspired me to go out and buy his novel, although that could completely suck; who knows?
    Ruthful, though I originally thought the plot of his novel sounded a bit questionable, I really, really liked it. I hope you do too! It actually scared me in parts.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah, I thought Heart Shaped Box was excellent!

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

20 pages of The Shining left. Then hopefully im reading For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemmingway

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tamez View Post
    I had meant to start a re-read of DT5
    but i avoided it in favor of reading Everything's Eventual
    again.
    i just really didn't like DT5 and it upset me
    that I didn't like it.
    i KNOW i have to go through it again
    and hopefully feel better about it
    i'm just dreading it because maybe i'll
    hate it even MORE this time..
    I find it kinda wierd, but I think DT is the only book series on the planet that it's readers dislike atleast one book, or hate the ending, but yet still salavate over the books. Even join book clubs for it. Wierd shit man

and yeh dude, The Name of the Wind was fuckn awesome!
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Jean what are some good John Saul books that you'd recommend. I've picked up quite a few from yard sales and used bookstores around here, but I've only read The Blackstone Chronicles (which I really enjoyed). I've got Creature, Midnight Voices, The Unloved, and Sleepwalk.
    there's no good Saul among what I've read. There's lousy, boring Saul (I would definitely put Creature and The Unloved in that category; there are more), and mediocre Saul. The latter I find oddly relaxing; I can read tons of him when in trouble or when my emotional sphere is engaged elsewhere (a trip abroad is my other usual Saul-reading situation), but I still need to follow printed text with my eyes because the process is akin to breathing. Those Sauls include:

Punish the Sinners
    Comes the Blind Fury
    Nathaniel
    Hellfire
    The God Project
    Second Child

There also are books I haven't read yet; I always buy one or two second-hand Sauls when in Europe, so soon I'll have a whole collection (will definitely look for The Blackstone Chronicles now)... although I had to part with Guardian, which I bought in Norwich last June, because I became positive I would never reread it (way too boring); while I reread those on the list above regularly.

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I decided to read Mason & Dixon by Pynchon. I hope to finish it by the end of 30 days and move on to a simultaneous read of Blaze and that Eco book.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I'm only about 20 pages in but it rocks so far. I think you'll really like the first story!
    I've read the first four stories! Good stuff!
    I'm actually liking his more than his dad's older ones...though I did just enjoy You Know They Got a Hell of a Band.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Read I Am Legend, and loved it. I'm trying to finish reading the rest of the stories in the book, but to be honest, I'm not really enjoying any of them.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

::swoon::

wasn't i am legend just amazing? what an incredible story.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 175 of 714 FirstFirst ... 75 125 165 173 174 175 176 177 185 225 275 675 ... LastLast