Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 714 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 148 198 598 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Have you read The Talisman? Because if not you might want to read that before Black House. Not that its needed but it does help to get a background to part of whats going on and the characters.
    Heh--I wish I'd seen this before I replied to your other post....

Yes, I have, but I didn't particularly care for it....

Hopefully I'll still enjoy Black House, though....

Black House is REALLY connected to the Dark Tower series, as much as Insomnia. I've known quite a few folk, Jayson "R_of_G" is one of them, that like Black House more than The Talisman, as I do.
    Some parts of Black House are just downright scary. Great stuff.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I am currently reading "Twinkie, Deconstructed" which basically goes through the list of ingredients on a Twinkie and says how these things are generated... it's pretty grim, in a lot of cases.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Black House is REALLY connected to the Dark Tower series, as much as Insomnia. I've known quite a few folk, Jayson "R_of_G" is one of them, that like Black House more than The Talisman, as I do.
    Neat! I should enjoy it, then!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Neat! I should enjoy it, then!
    hope you enjoy it Jonh_and_Yoko [great name btw]. i enjoyed Talisman a lot, but i like BH even more, not the least of reasons the many tie-ins to the DT series. some of my favorite King characters are in that book. obviously Jack, but also Beezer St. Pierre and Henry Leyden are two of my fav King characters. as matthew mentioned, many of the parts that are supposed to be scary parts are actually scary, something that i rarely find to be the case in other than a "creepy scary" way. this one has both the creepy and the terrifying kinds. great for re-reads too i have found.

My Mood
    Angelic

Can you define the difference between "terrifying" scary and "creepy" scary?

creepy is stuff that is just creepy. if it were happening to you it wouldn't necessarily scare you so much as it would just creep you out [like a shitload of bugs that couldn't harm you for example]. extremely unpleasant but not particularly threatenning. the other kind of scary i meant would be that which if it were happening to you would literally scare you because it could do you serious harm.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Good analogy.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I'm on my way to the bookstore. You guys have convinced me to pick up another copy of Black House, its been a while since I read it and I didn't bring my copy with me when I moved.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Duma Key and it was great !!!!!!!

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am reading Pet Sematary by SK for the secong time. I love that book.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

My Mood
    Angelic

Just started Black House. I've only read one chapter, but I really hope it picks up soon, because so far it's boring--even worse than The Talisman was....

Just started Black House. I've only read one chapter, but I really hope it picks up soon, because so far it's boring--even worse than The Talisman was....
    just keep going. it takes a long time to set up bc there's a lot coming together in one place, but it does get going.

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    just keep going. it takes a long time to set up bc there's a lot coming together in one place, but it does get going.
    I'll take your word for it--and I definitely will finish the book. But for awhile there I wondered whether I'd accidentally taken the wrong text....

You've only read one chapter and you expect mind-blowing stuff to happen?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post

Super Heroes have super powers......Action Heroes use skills

Wow, you just said beautifully what I've always argued about Batman and why he isn't as cool as Superman.

Batman is just a guy...not a super hero. Which is why, to me, Superman is better.

See now, I've always wondered why Batman was classified as a superhero, just cause he has gadgets and a butler.

Currently reading: Nothing except Volume 2 of Fables. I just finished "1001 Nights Of Snowfall" which I enjoyed very much.

My Mood
    Angelic

You've only read one chapter and you expect mind-blowing stuff to happen?
    Of course not. But a boring first chapter isn't exactly the way to hook me in.

Having read Chapter 2, though, I will say it's already starting to pick up, and I'm starting to get some suspicions....

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm almost finished with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. You all have convinced me to reread Black House. I DO enjoy that book.

John

Interplay Fan HanzouNorak is on a distinguished road HanzouNorak's Avatar

i have now moved on to It

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I'm almost finished with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. You all have convinced me to reread Black House. I DO enjoy that book.

John
    Fellow demon of the Prim

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I'm reading Manchu, Lonesome Dove, and Cujo right now.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished reading The Plant. By just finished, I mean 12 minutes ago.

Now I am going to move on to The Dark Tower series. I'm pretty excited to get into them.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

I just started a re-read of the Dark Tower series. I liken it to going back home after being away for years, only difference is with this home there are nooks I discover each time I go back to it.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Amen, brother.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Currently reading ALL THE PRETTY HORSES by Cormac McCarthy.

McCarthy rocks.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I couldn't finish Blood Meridian. I have a serious aversion to Cormac McCarthy.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 714 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 148 198 598 ... LastLast