Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 507 of 714 FirstFirst ... 7 407 457 497 505 506 507 508 509 517 557 607 ... LastLast
Results 12,651 to 12,675 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

A Dance with Dragons. Having read only two Reek chapters, I can tell you book Ramsay is more terrifying and capable than show Ramsay. He's less a joker and more a sadist, what with lady Waynwood (or was it Hornwood?) and all.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    A Dance with Dragons. Having read only two Reek chapters, I can tell you book Ramsay is more terrifying and capable than show Ramsay. He's less a joker and more a sadist, what with lady Waynwood (or was it Hornwood?) and all.
    I've only watched one episode of GOT, but I get the impression that George R.R. Martin took a lot of liberties adapting his work to television. Right now I'm about three hundred pages into the fourth book of ASOIAF, which I've been assured is awful. So far, I disagree with that assessment.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

finally managed to find a copy of Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Right now I'm about three hundred pages into the fourth book of ASOIAF, which I've been assured is awful. So far, I disagree with that assessment.
    It's not awful, it just catches a lot of flak because it doesn't feature any of the three central characters.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What Feev said. I had to read it twice because the first time I was so ticked Tyrion wasn't in it. But the second time around I got really attached to some of the new characters. At this point I kind of think ADWD is the weak point... but that may be because it's a transition point between the set up of 1-4 and the conclusion of 6-7.

I love Eyes of the Dragon, I feel like people don't pay enough attention to it.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i've never read Eyes or Cycle of The Werewolf before and about books 4&5 of ASoIAF they're set during the same period, book 4 is set in kings landing and dance is set in the north and across the narrow sea

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Recently completed, in order:

NOS4A2, by Joe Hill
    WHILE MORTALS SLEEP, by Kurt Vonnegut
    THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE, by Neil Gaiman.
    SMOKE AND MIRRORS, by Neil Gaiman.
    GONE GIRL, by Gillian Flynn. Fantastic book.
    CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, by Roald Dahl (re-read from my childhood to my kids)L
    DOUBLE FEATURE, by Own King. Really enjoyed it.

Current reading: EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE, by Jonathan Safran Foer.
    You should start keeping a list in the 2013 Read Book List (if you want), I find it very convenient.
    Thanks. I often start keeping a list, then flake out on updating it. I kept a full one in 2012 for the first time. I need to go back and figure out what I have read in 2013 (prior to those above) before I forget completely.

Thanks again for prodding me!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fearless-freak View Post
    ... about books 4&5 of ASoIAF they're set during the same period, book 4 is set in kings landing and dance is set in the north and across the narrow sea
    Quoting this as it is good to know going in. I learned this concurrent timeline concept about Books 4 & 5 just before I launched into Book 4. It helped me a lot as I didn't spend the whole story going, "Yeah, but what about everyone else?!"
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon. I devoured it. The ending killed me. Not many books get to me that way (Simmons and King almost always do) but the ending to this one left me with a heavy heart. It's easily in my top 10 reads this year.

I felt I needed more McCammon after Speaks so I picked up The Nightboat, read a single (yes, one) page and put it down. It's very rough. And, come on... "Nazi ghost ship?" Life's too short for that.

Reading: Last Call by Tim Powers.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

WELL, for some reason it tells me I cannot post in the thread about the Vanity Fair interview in the new issue. So I'll put it here and maybe someone can explain that little glich to me.
    I subscribe to VF and just got my issue and there is an interview with Stephen King at the back. It's the "Proust Interview" they have every month. Maybe someone can move this to there...

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

On A Feast for Crows: I enjoyed Aeron, Euron, Victarion, and Asha's chapters the most. Marwyn was cool, despite the fact that he was in it for a very short while. Brienne's last chapter got more of an emotional reaction from me than the Red Wedding (book version, that is).

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dust & Decay the second book in the Rot & Ruin series. man do I love a good zombie novel
    If you love me then love me..

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    On A Feast for Crows: I enjoyed Aeron, Euron, Victarion, and Asha's chapters the most. Marwyn was cool, despite the fact that he was in it for a very short while. Brienne's last chapter got more of an emotional reaction from me than the Red Wedding (book version, that is).
    Victarion and Asha are my favorites. Aeron and Euron, while not exactly endearing, are interesting characters as well. I feel like he could write an entire series on the Iron Islands. As for Marwyn... I feel interesting things are in store for both Daenerys and Sam. I can't wait to see where that goes.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

sk

Country
    Country Flag

Elves War-Fighting Manual by Den Patrick

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't make out the title.

John

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Awesome book! One of Straub's best! (pretty poor movie adaptation, though!)

sk
    yes, so far it's the only Straub book I really love
    Jean (and others), you should try Koko - phenominal read (American bias again since it's about how Vietnam haunts a group of soldiers). Brilliant! Floating Dragon is pretty good too.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the only other Straub I have at the moment is Dark Matter; reading it now.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

the only other Straub I have at the moment is Dark Matter; reading it now.
    I'd be interested in your take on Dark Matter - it didn't work for me.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

no Straub I've read so far really worked for me. I'll try to elaborate on it when I'm back

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For Straub, I've read Ghost Story, Koko, Floating Dragon, and the two books he did with King. The only one I really cared for was Black House, which I loved. The others...meh. Not a big Straub fan, obviously.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really liked Dark Matter.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just got my John Updike: The Collected Stories two-volume set:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 507 of 714 FirstFirst ... 7 407 457 497 505 506 507 508 509 517 557 607 ... LastLast