Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 253 of 714 FirstFirst ... 153 203 243 251 252 253 254 255 263 303 353 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,325 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Yep, John -- the review linked above was the Matthew Pearl "Poe" novel under discussion. My review of UtD will be in the Halloween issue of Cemetery Dance, though I'll probably do one for Onyx Reviews as well closer to publication date. I've queried the Houston Chronicle as well, but I've never had much luck getting a response from them.

John F. Kennedy Nedmonds is on a distinguished road

over the last 3 days i have started and finished reading. James paterson "sail" Very good book!. Also finished Simon Kernicks "good day to die" Which is also a good book . If your into crime and that sort of thing. Just started to read dream catcher today and so far it looks pretty good .

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just began a re-read of The Tommyknockers

Gets worse every time I read it.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ka-mai View Post
    Reading Lolita...

I'm a little bored, honestly. It was interesting for a while, but it kind of died. I want it to hurry up already.

Also, I had NO IDEA what this book was about, so it was kind of a shock.
    and i'm shocked that it's even possible to not know what that book is about given how the word "lolita" has entered into the language.
    I kind of knew it was about an older man and younger girl, but I thought the girl was like... 18. 16 minimum.

I'm kind of getting more into it again, but I wish it would hurry up already.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by William50 View Post

Why would you even want to read that book more than once?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post

Why would you even want to read that book more than once?

I honestly don't know. It isnt even that great of a read... and yet I find myself opening it up month after month...
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. It gets better and better every time bears read it. Maybe it depends on what you read directly before it.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Duma Key - this one is going fast. I've got the giant hardcover version so I've been hauling that around in my bag everywhere.

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gave up totally on Pride and Prejudice and Zombies... I just cant get excited about the story ... So I started American Gods finally!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm reading Doctor No by Ian Fleming. This is the first Fleming - James Bond novel that I read, and I have to say I love his style.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Boomers: The Cold War Generation Grows Up, Victor D. Brooks

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by what View Post
    Gave up totally on Pride and Prejudice and Zombies... I just cant get excited about the story ... So I started American Gods finally!
    I've been having a hard time with it as well. I think I'm still only about 30 pages in. Which is strange, because I love zombies, and I love Jane Austen, so I thought I'd really enjoy it. I will say that I've never really been a huge fan of Pride & Prejudice, it's my least favorite of her stories, so that might have something to do with it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have 8 pages left in Lolita and I can't bring myself to sit down and read them, that's how bored I am.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn

Country
    Country Flag

Screw The Tommyknockers!!!! ........... i'm going to read some Poe stories for a while.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Fortunately or unfortunately I'm re-reading The Iliad (aka the trojan war, or for you Brad Pit fans...Troy)

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

WHY, MORD, WHY??????

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Is the Iliad connected to the Odyssey? Both by Homer... but do they form a mini series?

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Iliad comes before Odyssey, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah. The Iliad is the Trojan War and features Achilles, and The Odyssey is about Odysseus trying to get home and failing pretty miserably. Yay Homer!

(I haven't actually read either all the way through, but I sure loved my Wishbone versions as a kid. )

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

With a good translation? they are a good read... required for us in Honors Lit and Humanities... I will say, I'll never read them again... twice is enough!

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Is the Iliad connected to the Odyssey? Both by Homer... but do they form a mini series?
    The Iliad is first, it is the Trojan war, the Odyssey is after, which is the story of Odysseus trying to get back to his home country after fighting in the Trojan War. Odysseus was spurned by the Gods for his involvement in the Trojan War. When he finally made it home he was an old man, and his wife had re-married thinking that Odysseus and died. Not really a mini series....I guess...by todays standards it could be, kind of like the Star Wars movies. But each Greek story has it's moral teaching. For instance, The Iliad isn't really the story of the Trojan War, but the story of Achilles' rage. For it was believed if Achilles would not have gotten mad at Agamemnon and sat out for many years of the war, the Greeks would have defeated the Trojans early on.

And Dag, I'm bored and I love Greek mytho.

Unfound, just being technical, Homer wasn't alive during any of it, he was the first person to put the oral history into writing.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Traveler twinsmom is on a distinguished road

I just finished reading The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon. I think it's book 5 in the Outlander series... what a great series! Has anyone else read them? I thought the first book- OUtlander- was awesome & the 2nd was ok, but the 3 after that just keep getting better...
    I'm reading that series & the Dark Tower series as well this summer (Last summer it was the Harry Potter series- awesome! the summer before was the Left Behind series). So I finished Wizard & Glass recently too, so I'm waiting to get the next books in both series.

Btw, I've never read the Iliad or the Odyssey (even in college!)... and someone mentoined Lolita- I got that one from the library, always wanted to read it, but my hubby is reading it... and he's a slooooooow reader!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (yeah sarajean, I FINISHED it!) and am now reading Diary by Chuck Palahniuk.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Woot for finishing HP!

And a def. thumbs-up for Chuck P.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (yeah sarajean, I FINISHED it!) and am now reading Diary by Chuck Palahniuk.
    Please let me know what you think of Diary. I loved it, but for some reason it seems to get a bit of hate around here.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 253 of 714 FirstFirst ... 153 203 243 251 252 253 254 255 263 303 353 ... LastLast