Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 598 of 713 FirstFirst ... 98 498 548 588 596 597 598 599 600 608 648 698 ... LastLast
Results 14,926 to 14,950 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Eyes of the Dragon, Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia are all related to The Dark Tower. They are must reads for Dark Tower fans.
    EotD, while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I wouldn't say it's that DT related; I mean that Flagg could be Walter from a different universe.
    It has Flagg being his usual charming self. Delain is Flagg's hometown. It's the same world as Roland's.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

INSOMNIA is the polar opposite case; regardless of DT ties, I would tell my friends and loved ones to steer clear of this book. Hated it. It's one of if not thee only King book I wouldn't recommend

Spoiler:
    I never cared for Insomnia either. After I read DT, I thought "Maybe I should give Insomnia another shot now, since it's got ties to the tower that I might appreciate this go around".
    I got about halfway through my reread before I was like "Mm, no." And the book goes on and on and on. Am I right?!

*I used spoiler tags since Ricky said he hasn't read it yet.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Eyes of the Dragon, Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia are all related to The Dark Tower. They are must reads for Dark Tower fans.
    I am so glad I read Hearts in Atlantis before The Dark Tower because that made meeting up with Ted Brautigan in DT that much more exciting. Like seeing an old friend.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post

INSOMNIA is the polar opposite case; regardless of DT ties, I would tell my friends and loved ones to steer clear of this book. Hated it. It's one of if not thee only King book I wouldn't recommend

Spoiler:
    I never cared for Insomnia either. After I read DT, I thought "Maybe I should give Insomnia another shot now, since it's got ties to the tower that I might appreciate this go around".
    I got about halfway through my reread before I was like "Mm, no." And the book goes on and on and on. Am I right?!

*I used spoiler tags since Ricky said he hasn't read it yet.
    I agree. I thought about rereading it to see if I might in some very slight way be able to appreciate it at least a little bit, but I can't seem to make myself pick it back up. Probably my least favorite King book. I hated it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I LOVED Insomnia...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's why I always try and finish a book, no matter how painful it is. You never know when it's going to get better. I really struggled with the first 50 pages of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but ended up loving it and devouring the other two. Then again, there's always times where I finish a book that never gets better and I think, why the heck did I stick with that?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Treasure Island ~ RL Stevenson

Just because Black Sails...

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Half way through The Bazaar of Bad Dreams .....

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Treasure Island ~ RL Stevenson

Just because Black Sails...
    It's on my to-read list for that same reason. Any good?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    That's why I always try and finish a book, no matter how painful it is. You never know when it's going to get better. I really struggled with the first 50 pages of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but ended up loving it and devouring the other two. Then again, there's always times where I finish a book that never gets better and I think, why the heck did I stick with that?
    Always times like The Dark Half.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It's on my to-read list for that same reason. Any good?
    Hey Ricky Actually, yes! It's not an overly involved read but it's a well written narrative and very entertaining. Not the Silver you know from Black Sails at all though...

Country
    Country Flag

I think it was originally meant for children, right? I could be wrong, though. I need the summer to be about 4 months longer so I can fit in all the reading I want to do!

Has the Pirate's House in Savannah been mentioned yet? I ate there when I was in Savannah a few weeks ago and it supposedly is a relevant location to a certain character in the book. Not sure if you know the ending, so I won't spoil it just in case.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

I am really really really enjoying Christine.
    Really.

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Reading robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson - very good IMO

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sharki69 View Post
    Reading robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson - very good IMO
    Agreed. Very entertaining. I found it to be like World War Z but with robots.

Country
    Country Flag

Really.
    Christine is one of the few "classic" King books that I didn't really care for. I remember thinking it was too slow moving, but it's been years since I read it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Really.
    Christine is one of the few "classic" King books that I didn't really care for. I remember thinking it was too slow moving, but it's been years since I read it.
    It is pretty slow right now, but I'm really enjoying the character development that King is so good at. To be honest, when I decided to start it, I wasn't necessarily looking for a scary read, but just that comfortable feeling of a King book where I get to peek into the minds and lives of all these characters.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default What are you currently reading?

Really.
    It is pretty slow right now, but I'm really enjoying the character development that King is so good at. To be honest, when I decided to start it, I wasn't necessarily looking for a scary read, but just that comfortable feeling of a King book where I get to peek into the minds and lives of all these characters.
    I also really liked Christine. Not one of my absolute favorites of the classics, but still I enjoyed it. The book had some of my favorite King quotes. I'm always amazed when authors are able to write about the human condition with such dexterity, if that's the right word. King can be so poetic when it comes to this, which is why I feel some of the movies fall short, because it's difficult to translate passages like this to film.

Here's a couple of my favorite lines from the book. It's just beautiful writing that gets me every time I read it.

Spoiler:
    She stiffened for a moment and then let me draw her against my shoulder. She was trembling. We just sat that way, both of us afraid of even the slightest movement, I think. Afraid we might explode. Or something. Across the room, the clock ticked importantly on the mantelpiece. Bright winterlight fell through the bow windows that give a three-way view of the street. The storm had blown itself out by noon on Christmas Day, and now the hard and cloudless blue sky seemed to deny that there even was such a thing as snow—but the dunelike drifts rolling across lawns all up and down the street like the backs of great buried beasts confirmed it.

Spoiler:
    By the time I had the mounted tire back in my trunk and had paid the guy two bucks for the job, the early evening light had become the fading purple of late evening. The shadow of each bush was long and velvety, and as I cruised slowly back up the street I saw the day's last light streaming almost horizontally through the trash-littered space between the Arby's and the bowling alley. That light, so much flooding gold, was nearly terrible in its strange, unexpected beauty.

I was surprised by a choking panic that climbed up in my throat like dry fire. It was the first time a feeling like that came over me that year—that long, strange year—but not the last. Yet it's hard for me to explain, or even define. It had something to do with realizing that it was August 11, 1978, that I was going to be a senior in high school next month, and that when school started again it meant the end of a long, quiet phase of my life. I was getting ready to be a grown-up, and I saw that somehow—saw it for sure, for the first time in that lovely but somehow ancient spill of golden light flooding down the alleyway between a bowling alley and a roast beef joint. And I think I understood then that what really scares people about growing up is that you stop trying on the life-mask and start trying on another one. If being a kid is about learning how to live, then being a grown-up is about learning how to die.

The feeling passed, but in its wake I felt shaken and melancholy. Neither state was much like my usual self.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of re-reads, I've really been thinking about jumping into Rose Madder someday in the near future.
    Rose Madder is one of my favorite King novels. So underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I'm always amazed when authors are able to write about the human condition with such dexterity, if that's the right word. King can be so poetic when it comes to this, which is why I feel some of the movies fall short
    Exactly. With Kings books, I know that, even if it doesn't end up being one of my favorite stories, I'm still guaranteed to meet these characters whose stories will always stick with me.

Also, I didn't click on the spoilers yet since I may not have reached the parts of the book you've quoted.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Ha, yeah that's why I put them in spoilers. But check them out when you're done. I absolutely love those lines.

I will! It took much will power and restraint to avoid clicking on them.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I also really liked Christine. Not one of my absolute favorites of the classics, but still I enjoyed it. The book had some of my favorite King quotes. I'm always amazed when authors are able to write about the human condition with such dexterity, if that's the right word. King can be so poetic when it comes to this, which is why I feel some of the movies fall short, because it's difficult to translate passages like this to film.

Here's a couple of my favorite lines from the book. It's just beautiful writing that gets me every time I read it.

Spoiler:
    She stiffened for a moment and then let me draw her against my shoulder. She was trembling. We just sat that way, both of us afraid of even the slightest movement, I think. Afraid we might explode. Or something. Across the room, the clock ticked importantly on the mantelpiece. Bright winterlight fell through the bow windows that give a three-way view of the street. The storm had blown itself out by noon on Christmas Day, and now the hard and cloudless blue sky seemed to deny that there even was such a thing as snow—but the dunelike drifts rolling across lawns all up and down the street like the backs of great buried beasts confirmed it.

Spoiler:
    By the time I had the mounted tire back in my boot and had paid the guy two bucks for the job, the early evening light had become the fading purple of late evening. The shadow of each bush was long and velvety, and as I cruised slowly back up the street I saw the day's last light streaming almost horizontally through the trash-littered space between the Arby's and the bowling alley. That light, so much flooding gold, was nearly terrible in its strange, unexpected beauty.

I was surprised by a choking panic that climbed up in my throat like dry fire. It was the first time a feeling like that came over me that year—that long, strange year—but not the last. Yet it's hard for me to explain, or even define. It had something to do with realizing that it was August 11, 1978, that I was going to be a senior in high school next month, and that when school started again it meant the end of a long, quiet phase of my life. I was getting ready to be a grown-up, and I saw that somehow—saw it for sure, for the first time in that lovely but somehow ancient spill of golden light flooding down the alleyway between a bowling alley and a roast beef joint. And I think I understood then that what really scares people about growing up is that you stop trying on the life-mask and start trying on another one. If being a kid is about learning how to live, then being a grown-up is about learning how to die.

The feeling passed, but in its wake I felt shaken and melancholy. Neither state was much like my usual self.
    Couldn't agree more, Paul on the passages. One of my all time favorites. Back in the day when it seemed King was hitting everything out of the park.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm currently reading the first Dave Robicheaux book (The Neon Rain) by James Lee Burke (1987). Really enjoying it so far. He is a most excellent writer.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

70 pages from finishing The City of Mirrors. I've liked this one much better than The Twelve.

The King novels I haven't read are Firestarter, Christine, The Dead Zone and End of Watch.

I saw those movies a lot when I was a kid (except for EOW obviously) and I think that's why I haven't read those three yet. Of those, which is the best?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 598 of 713 FirstFirst ... 98 498 548 588 596 597 598 599 600 608 648 698 ... LastLast