Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 593 of 714 FirstFirst ... 93 493 543 583 591 592 593 594 595 603 643 693 ... LastLast
Results 14,801 to 14,825 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I think a combination of the two was good. I love all the science and technical aspects of the book, which understandably they left out of the movie, so it was nice to have that in my head while I was watching the film. I do wish they had included it a bit more because everything just seemed too simple and easy in the film.
    Now the you mentioned the technical aspects of The Martian, it just goes to show how a technical subject matter can be successfully adapted for a general audience, unlike The Big Short.
    Wrong thread for this tangent of mine but I saw The Big Short at the discount theater a few weeks back and I thought it was successful mainly because I feel like I understand the housing crisis much more than before I watched it. I am certainly not at 100% comprehension but TBS did elucidate the subject for me.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terrier91 View Post
    Finally settling in to read The Fireman.
    I've only read NOS4A2 but I am excited for this one!

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just picked up 11/22/63 this morning. I am excited to read this one.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finished Heart-Shaped Box last night. Wow! Joe Hill really knows how to write! I was definitely able to tell how he matured as a writer between this book and NOS4A2. NOS4A2 had a better crafted, more intricate plot and better character development. It was more "epic". That being said, Heart-Shaped Box was a fast paced, super creepy read. While it didn't have as detailed of a plot as NOS4A2, I did enjoy the story a lot. It was hard to put down and I really felt myself pulling for the characters. I'm having a hard time deciding which I liked more.
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    Finished Heart-Shaped Box last night. Wow! Joe Hill really knows how to write! I was definitely able to tell how he matured as a writer between this book and NOS4A2. NOS4A2 had a better crafted, more intricate plot and better character development. It was more "epic". That being said, Heart-Shaped Box was a fast paced, super creepy read. While it didn't have as detailed of a plot as NOS4A2, I did enjoy the story a lot. It was hard to put down and I really felt myself pulling for the characters. I'm having a hard time deciding which I liked more.
    Have you read Horns? If not wait till you read that to make a decision.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Have you read Horns? If not wait till you read that to make a decision.
    I have not read Horns yet. I think it's up next though. I'll wait until I'm done with that one to make a decision
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the film of THE MARTIAN, but I loved the book so much more.

For me, HORNS > HEART-SHAPED BOX.

Currently reading REPLAY, by Ken Grimwood.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I enjoyed the film of THE MARTIAN, but I loved the book so much more.

For me, HORNS > HEART-SHAPED BOX.
    Agreed and agreed!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've been reading The Uninvited by Cat Winters. It was moving a little slowly and I almost put it down. But finally about 75% of the way in Bam! Something is finally happening. Has anyone read any of her other books? The premises all sound really good.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Gene Wolfe - Free Live Free

And still working my way through Ilium. I am enjoying it, but because it's such a dense book I haven't been able to give it full attention. Been busy working (at least) 65-hour work weeks and when I'm not working, I'm pounding the pavement and getting ready for race season.
    Finished Ilium last night. 5 out of 5. The set up took a little longer than I expected but once he started tying the storylines together...it's gold, Jerry.

Giving up on this particular Wolfe. I just don't care anymore.

I'm reading Unseaming by Mike Allen. Great collection.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gene Wolfe - Free Live Free

And still working my way through Ilium. I am enjoying it, but because it's such a dense book I haven't been able to give it full attention. Been busy working (at least) 65-hour work weeks and when I'm not working, I'm pounding the pavement and getting ready for race season.
    Finished Ilium last night. 5 out of 5. The set up took a little longer than I expected but once he started tying the storylines together...it's gold, Jerry.

Giving up on this particular Wolfe. I just don't care anymore.

I'm reading Unseaming by Mike Allen. Great collection.
    I got to page 150 and quit.... should I have kept going??? 5/5 really?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, absolutely. To be honest though, my favourite Simmons is Hyperion and its sequels and generally, I like science fiction more than horror. I also didn't think much about Children of the Night, Song of Kali, and the Abominable. I did love Flashback, The Crook Factory and The Fifth Heart. Go figure.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finished Complete Books of Blood by Clive Barker, really enjoyed all the stories. Started Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt after reading a good review in paper.
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I finished Hard as Nails (Simmons), which I liked a lot! On to an early Tess Gerritsen now before digging into some more Simmons - I have The Fifth Heart and This Year's Class Picture on top of my reading pile. By the time I finish those, End of Watch and The Fireman should be available. Good times!

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i finished on Monday i think? or Sunday i forget which day the book 'The Thin Man' and yes they did change a couple things but not enough to really piss me off to be honest. in short it really didn't hurt the story. i also downloaded all the original Goosebumps books i loved as a teen by R.L. Stine. why did i go back to that series? i loved that series and i was curious if any of them still held up for someone my age and i just finished the 1st book Welcome to the Dead House from July of (1992)

and it i think still holds up. those books in my youth were fun as hell to read and sure there were some shitty ones but that's not anything that isn't bound to happen. the funny thing is these books when i was younger anyways did give me nightmares the ones i can think of off the top of my head was the one i just finished tonight and it still is a good one after all these years. and than there's one that takes place at an amusement park that one i can't remember the title of the book. both of them were quite good in fact. has anyone here ever gone back to books they loved as a kid just to see if they hold up? not R.L. Stine since no doubt a lot of you here didn't grow up on his books like i did. but authors like Judy Blume who i still love.

and Beverly Clearly who i looked up recently and is now 100 years old! and still alive! my favorite author though growing up was Bruce Coville. i got tired of reading mysteries so i went back to my past and choose ones i haven't read in years!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Loved Heart-Shaped Box - it was so visceral. It reminded me of early King. NOS4A2 is superbly epic, but there really is something about a first novel that gets the juices going. Horns is also quite good.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I know I am late to this one, but I just started Finders Keepers over vacation last week. Nearly done. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, and I look forward to reading the final book in the trilogy soon.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    i finished on Monday i think? or Sunday i forget which day the book 'The Thin Man' and yes they did change a couple things but not enough to really piss me off to be honest. in short it really didn't hurt the story. i also downloaded all the original Goosebumps books i loved as a teen by R.L. Stine. why did i go back to that series? i loved that series and i was curious if any of them still held up for someone my age and i just finished the 1st book Welcome to the Dead House from July of (1992)

and it i think still holds up. those books in my youth were fun as hell to read and sure there were some shitty ones but that's not anything that isn't bound to happen. the funny thing is these books when i was younger anyways did give me nightmares the ones i can think of off the top of my head was the one i just finished tonight and it still is a good one after all these years. and than there's one that takes place at an amusement park that one i can't remember the title of the book. both of them were quite good in fact. has anyone here ever gone back to books they loved as a kid just to see if they hold up? not R.L. Stine since no doubt a lot of you here didn't grow up on his books like i did. but authors like Judy Blume who i still love.

and Beverly Clearly who i looked up recently and is now 100 years old! and still alive! my favorite author though growing up was Bruce Coville. i got tired of reading mysteries so i went back to my past and choose ones i haven't read in years!
    I grew up with his Fear Street books. The Goosebumps series didn't come out till I was a little older so I never read those. I did go back and read a few of the Fear Street ones, they were ok, I'd like to go back and read some of the better ones though. I've got them all boxed up in the basement, I should bring them out. I was an avid reader of all those teen horror books back then.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you guys liked the Fear Street and Goosebumps books, I'd recommend Red Rain. It came out a few years ago. It's like a Goosebumps story for adults (Stine even said he wanted to write a book specifically for those who grew up reading the Goosebumps series). I really, really liked it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Thanks Ricky, I'll check it out.

Have you read Superstitious? It was his first adult novel. I was all excited when it came out but I was less than impressed with it. Are those the only two adult novels he's written or have there been more?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read that one. And I think he's written a few adult novels but they haven't been too well reviewed. Just don't go into Red Rain expecting too much or I think you'll be disappointed. It's a light, fun summer read.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Picked up Rendezvous with Rama over the weekend.

My first Arthur C. Clarke!

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

I still have both CHILDHOOD'S END and THE FOUNTAINS OF PARADISE on the paperback shelf... I re-read FOUNTAINS not that long ago; time for RAMA and CHILDHOOD again soon. Good stuff.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Great book! Don't forget the sequels. Not as impressive, but still worth reading for sure.

sk

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

well i am currently reading a couple of different books. in no order one of them is a autobiography i downloaded about Myrna Loy i just love her as an actress and reading the thin man recently i am currently Re-Watching those wonderful films again. i've watched 3 of them so far. they did 6 of them in case you are wondering. the other one i am currently reading a favorite kids book of growing up called The Plant that Ate Dirty socks i don't even remember what grade i picked that book up in originally the title of it i remember is what caught my interest. it's by Nancy McArthur and i'm curious if it still holds up. plus i got 2 more Goosebumps on my kindle to read. i do have Stine's (1995) adult novel Superstious which i killed in the spelling sorry about that folks.
    i got that sucker in hardback i just haven't gotten around to read that one just yet. another one i started to read and i'm only like a page or two in it, is Agatha Christie's (1920) novel 'The Mysterious Affair at Styles it's actually her 1st novel and i've never read her to be honest.

i can't seem to make up my mind which book i want to pay more attention to the most. the one i'm the farthest in is the plant that ate dirty socks cause i'm on chapter 3. as for the fear street series i remember those coming out i used to get them from the libary but for some strange reason i never did finish one. i dunno why but i think i just could not get into them or something or my interest in them waned the longer i had them after i took them home or something. i used to get a shit load of books from the libary at a time so that didn't help either. these days now i got a shit load of books on my kindle i plan on reading. some of them are comic books actually. there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day for me to read more. cause i've been doing puzzles a lot recently too. well Summer is almost here and my tv shows season is nearly over i will no doubt do what i did last year and not watch too much tv i'm guessing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 593 of 714 FirstFirst ... 93 493 543 583 591 592 593 594 595 603 643 693 ... LastLast