Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 669 of 714 FirstFirst ... 169 569 619 659 667 668 669 670 671 679 ... LastLast
Results 16,701 to 16,725 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Snow Falling on Cedars was an excellent book. It wrapped up nicely, but not in a way that was particularly satisfying. The story about Ishmael and Hatsue was the heart of the story for me, and when that had it's great ending, everything that came after was just kind of empty...well-written, tragic, but empty. There was also a tiny chunk in the last 30 pages with The Jury talking at the end of the trial and I really could've done without that. We'd never known these characters, the conversation wasn't too interesting, and It just delayed the ending....I think it reminded me a little too much of 12 Angry Men but condensed down to like 6 pages...it was just redundant. Guterson really makes the island of San Piedro feel alive, and like a small town. It both works to his benefit and his detriment. It's interesting to get little takes on these characters who might only feature in a single page or a handful of pages...it makes everyone on the island feel like real people, but it was a little cumbersome at times, especially near the end of the book. But the cast of character itself that play significant roles is probably about 25 large and they're all handled with just the right amount of care and development to flesh them out in ways that are both interesting and contribute to the narrative...one of my favourites was on the coroner. There is an obscene amount of detail and research when it comes to boats and fishing and all the minutiae of island life, and the vivid descriptions of the land itself, really grounds it all in reality. That said it was a little much for me at times...I can only process so much description at once before I have trouble adding new elements to the picture.

All in all, it was a very good book. Great characters. Very true to life. The style in which it was written, with the trial being the linear thread, but constant digressing to past events, of the time of the murder and the weeks leading up to it, of a decade before when the Japanese were shipped off the island and put in an internment camp, the characters experiences in WW2, Ishmael and Hatsue as kids, their parents lives before they were born, delving into the lives/experiences of Witnesses while they are on the stand...it's all very well laid out provided you enjoy good digressions. At one point there was so much digression I began to forget what was happening in the trial, because there was like 150 pages of backstory of a dozen characters and it was all really, really good. In many ways it's a collection of short stories: the story of Kabuo on trial for murder, and the stories of those connected to the case, and their families and their hsitories, all interconnected, but distinct. Even the side characters at times get their little tales told, some interest, some banal, but all serving the greater purpose of bringing live to San Piedro island.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes a good, well-written story with good characters, who doesn't need a gripping narrative to keep them engaged. The narrative is good, but it comes in pieces and chunks. The trial narrative is the glue, but I found the history of Ishmael and Hatsue, and the history of the central families and the decades of story before the trial to be the heart of the story.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Finished Revival and really enjoyed it. Not a ton of story buy really enjoyed the character development in it.
    Started Cari Mora by Thomas Harris, enjoying it so far..
    Was hoping to find some lonely souls that like Cari Mora. I will read it soon but the feedback definitely made me less excited. Hannibal Rising was not good so we know Harris is fallible but hoping for the best.

Finishing up Revival on Audiobook. David Morse does a great job on the read. Excited for Brian's release.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm still going with A Game Of Thrones, which had troubled me initially:

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I'd been warned that Martin goes bananas with the number of characters...now on page 24, I've already taken note of 24 freaking characters. I like the writing and the story is intriguing, but this is starting to seem like the literary equivalent of watching a young guitarist who thinks playing 3 minutes of 1/64th notes is the point of music - wow, you can shred, cool, we get it.

...I rarely drop out of books, but if this is going to take me 4 months to read, then...I struggle to see how this might be worth it.
    I stuck with it, now on page 120. Around page 70, I realized that the story was progressing nicely and the character load had somewhat stabilized, and then when

Spoiler:
    Jaime Lannister pushed Bran out of a window to die

...I was like holy shit I need to find out what happens. Still enjoying it now.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Apprentice NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Erikson - Reaper's Gale
    Looking for SubPress Lettered:Farseer Trilogy; Shadow of the Wind, Angel's Game, Prisoner of Heaven
    Looking for Centipede Press S/L: Dracula

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've got about 80 pages left in The Nest by April D'Aprix Sweeney. It's a fairly good read with some good humour throughout, but I can tell this is one of those books where it's really going to hinge on how it wraps up.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been looking forward to reading this since I heard about it sometime ago.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Heinlein - The past through tomorrow vol. 1
    This was great. Space adventure and exploration but with actual science. Science is actually interesting and you pick up interesting tidbits of knowledge to impress your friends with when the opportunity presents itself. It's neither "hard" SF nor the condescending info dump *cough* Dan Simmons *cough*. Stories are set in the same Future History world of The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress. I'm about to start Vol. 2.

Destination Moon is on YouTube, check it out.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to a used bookstore metropolis tomorrow. What have you been reading that you have enjoyed? Let me hear it.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Any Ian Rankin Inspector Rebus novel. Great murder mysteries.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wise Mans Fear.... man this guy can write. Is there any other goodness from him you all would recommend?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Lucius Shepard - Five Autobiographies and a Fiction

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I about a quarter through We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas. It's pretty great so far.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished Cari Mora, Not aweful but not his best by far. Choppy story with little meat to it.
    A third through The Cabin At The End of The World by Paul Trembley. Good so far but the first chapter was boring. After that, it seems to have taking off.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

A third through The Cabin At The End of The World by Paul Trembley. Good so far but the first chapter was boring. After that, it seems to have taking off.
    Just wait until the end

I re-read all 3 Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark before I go see the movie. Loved those books growing up as a kid. And the artwork was just as creepy as I remembered it being.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't wait for the all the people who read brother to pop by with thier love for this book....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Just wait until the end

Haha. How Tremblay went from a fresh new voice (to me, at least) to Koontz on a bad day is something I can't explain.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Really, I loved the end.

And Brother has been on my list for awhile now. I just have too many books I want to read and not enough time.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I about a quarter through We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas. It's pretty great so far.

I'm two thirds in an it's no longer pretty great so far, it's just pretty damn great.

Along the Path of the Beam Jerrika has a spectacular aura about Jerrika has a spectacular aura about Jerrika's Avatar

I read Looking for Alaska by John Green. That man is rather pretentious and his books are formulaic. He always seems to recycle his plotlines and characters. It's like he keeps writing the same book over and over again.
    "Sometimes dead is better." ~ Jud Crandall

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas isn't just a great book, it's one of the greatest books I've ever read. It's rare to encapsulate a lifetime on paper, but that is what Thomas did with his character of Eileen Tumulty, the only child of a pair of Irish immigrants in New York in the 1950s. It's really hard to describe the happenings in the book or even the main characters since some of the main characters don't appear until later in Eileen's life, but GO OUT AND GET THIS BOOK. There are many understated and poignant moments throughout the book that contain within in them the sorts of moments in life that stick with each of us, moments that aren't necessarily large or impactful, but cause as much pain or joy anyways. The way Thomas depicts the change in people, in neighbourhoods, in society itself, is so true to life. The characters are depicted with flaws, with strengths, as people in the way that people exist, with the sort of qualities we don't admit we possess, but we do, that lends them great authenticity. It's not often a novel really gets under my skin in that good way, but this one did. It's simply a modern day masterpiece.

Country
    Country Flag

We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas isn't just a great book, it's one of the greatest books I've ever read. It's rare to encapsulate a lifetime on paper, but that is what Thomas did with his character of Eileen Tumulty, the only child of a pair of Irish immigrants in New York in the 1950s. It's really hard to describe the happenings in the book or even the main characters since some of the main characters don't appear until later in Eileen's life, but GO OUT AND GET THIS BOOK. There are many understated and poignant moments throughout the book that contain within in them the sorts of moments in life that stick with each of us, moments that aren't necessarily large or impactful, but cause as much pain or joy anyways. The way Thomas depicts the change in people, in neighbourhoods, in society itself, is so true to life. The characters are depicted with flaws, with strengths, as people in the way that people exist, with the sort of qualities we don't admit we possess, but we do, that lends them great authenticity. It's not often a novel really gets under my skin in that good way, but this one did. It's simply a modern day masterpiece.
    It only has 3.7/5 on Goodreads... that is quite low no? I mean I am all about a new book but tend to try and read higher rated ones. You saying break my rule?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrika View Post
    I read Looking for Alaska by John Green. That man is rather pretentious and his books are formulaic. He always seems to recycle his plotlines and characters. It's like he keeps writing the same book over and over again.
    I haven't read John Green, but I find that with others as well.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    It only has 3.7/5 on Goodreads... that is quite low no? I mean I am all about a new book but tend to try and read higher rated ones. You saying break my rule?
    In general, I'll check out a book if the premise seems interesting or someone whose judgement I trust recommended it. A lot of King falls in the 3.5-4 bracket. Cujo and Christine are rated lower than this book. Don't get me started on Tommyknockers, Rose Madder, Gerald's Game, Sleeping Beauties etc.

I'm giving up on Shepard. I just don't have much interest left for a single paragraph that goes for a page and a half and buddy is just ranting about what's real vs what's in his head. I enjoyed that technique in his other book called Viator but enough is enough. I think I'll tackle an anthology next, maybe some Best Of.

I don't ever consider a books rating when deciding whether or not to read it. Maybe if it was 1 star I might think otherwise, but a 3.7 sounds good to me, no? Maybe it's just because I'm a strict rater. A 3 isn't bad to me. I only give out 4s and 5s to books I love. A 3 to me would be an average book. Enjoyable, but nothing mind blowing, and it certainly doesn't mean I disliked it.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Currently reading Walking Alone by Bentley Little. A career spanning collection of his short stories. These are easy-to-read stories before bed.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 669 of 714 FirstFirst ... 169 569 619 659 667 668 669 670 671 679 ... LastLast