Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 666 of 714 FirstFirst ... 166 566 616 656 664 665 666 667 668 676 ... LastLast
Results 16,626 to 16,650 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'd say Doctor Sleep was a sequel to The Shining in the same way that Black House was a sequel to The Talisman: sure they were sequels, but much time had passed, the setting was different, and the main character had grown and changed much (don't go into the sequels expecting the same reading experience).

FWIW:
    Revival was pretty good
    Doctor Sleep and Lisey's Story were very very good.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I'd say Doctor Sleep was a sequel to The Shining in the same way that Black House was a sequel to The Talisman: sure they were sequels, but much time had passed, the setting was different, and the main character had grown and changed much (don't go into the sequels expecting the same reading experience).

FWIW:
    Revival was pretty good
    Doctor Sleep and Lisey's Story were very very good.
    Great points but isn't it fair to have some pretty strong expectations for a sequel since it is a sequel? If John Wick 3 was similar to Lord of the Rings it would be a good movie but not appropriate as a sequel. Is that possibly the worst fucking example ever?? Ha! Get the point I suspect.

seeking: anything DT related #246
    Night Shift Anniversary Ed. (blue skull cover)
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    ...isn't it fair to have some pretty strong expectations for a sequel since it is a sequel?
    It's fair, but as we know, expectations aren't always met.

I'd think there would be two kinds of expectations: for quality (shitty follow-ups serve no purpose) and type of content (me wanna ride the roller coaster again! wheeeee!).

As for quality, opinions vary, but I think both sequels I mentioned lived up to the first book (I wasn't a fan of BH, but likewise have no love for The Talisman). As for content, I think the dustjacket blurbs tried to prepare readers for the departure each represented (people wanting to read another Shining wouldn't get anything like that from Doctor Sleep and should know that going in).

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great points again, good Sir. I'm 8 books into a complete King Re-Read so very excited to read it again. Not going in order so may do The Shining and Doctor Sleep next. Pumped!

ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I just want to say...page 666. Dun dun duuun.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    And for me... Doctor Sleep is not. In fact it is the worst King book for me in a LONG time.
    That's Revival
    Revival the worst? Lol not even close. My fav since 11/22/63. Loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am guessing we three can agree on Lisey's Story?
    haha
    So let's say Doctor Sleep was good (I need to read a second time) did it feel like a Shining sequel? I'm thinking not?

NO. I did not.. a poor attempt for me if so.
    My second read will solve it for me. Next question I would love to hear thoughts on . . . If it WAS NOT a sequel to one of the greatest horror novels (I am being very dramatic!) ever would it have been good?

I'll be really curious to hear your thoughts after a second read. The first time I read Dr. Sleep I thought it was just ok. I didn't enjoy the sequel aspect of it, but I thought if you took that away it was an alright story. Well then I read it a second time, and absolutely hated it. I can go into more detail about why after you read it again. And funny thing is that I hated Lisey's Story the first time I read it. I really struggled to even finish it, and whenever asked picked that as my worst King book. Well then I re-read that one, and while I wasn't in love with it as a whole I really did love some portions of the book.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm just finishing up the new Thomas Harris book Cari Mora. It is a very disappointing read to be kind. One of the worst novels from a bestselling author that I've had the misfortune to read in a long while. I wonder if he has effectively given up writing and this was some type of unpublished trunk novel that someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse to publish. The plot is laughable, the writing awful. There were points where I felt embarrassed on his behalf. It was like watching some great boxer long past his prime getting the daylights beaten out of him.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    I'm just finishing up the new Thomas Harris book Cari Mora. It is a very disappointing read to be kind. One of the worst novels from a bestselling author that I've had the misfortune to read in a long while. I wonder if he has effectively given up writing and this was some type of unpublished trunk novel that someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse to publish. The plot is laughable, the writing awful. There were points where I felt embarrassed on his behalf. It was like watching some great boxer long past his prime getting the daylights beaten out of him.
    I read it last weekend, and while I wasn’t as disappointed as you, I definitely thought it to be an odd choice for a story after such a long break. You could tell he was picturing the movie while writing it instead of focusing on story beats. So many inconsequential characters. And I think he hoped some sort of clarice/lecter dynamic would magically appear and that def did not happen. I dug the premise - I’m a sucker for a lost treasure hunt, and I like the idea of an eco friendly murderer. But yeah - I was absolutely expecting more

Much like we sometimes jab at King by stating that he only writes about walking dogs and getting worked up over the news bc that’s the majority of his experience now, it definitely seems clear that Mr Harris has spent all of his time since Hannibal Rising hanging out in Miami either being awed by the tropical birds or staring at the litter in the river

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am guessing we three can agree on Lisey's Story?
    At least you and I can if you liked it.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I just finished The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, which (as previously mentioned) is a children's book (8+) that I read years ago. Overall, I didn't enjoy it as much as before, but the ending (which previously had irritated me) actually seemed pretty good this time around, so it was a wash, I guess.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

1/3 way through NOS4A2 and loving it still.....
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

1/3 way through NOS4A2 and loving it still.....
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My favorite Hill novel!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    My favorite Hill novel!
    It is my favorite by far at this point. I enjoyed Heart Shaped and Horns but this one is very fun. Definitely has a feel of his fathers’ writing in it.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I thought the same thing. And it's so propulsive and suspenseful. Plus great characters. It all comes together nicely in that one. Enjoy it!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Finally I finished Ararat! This was supposed to be my last winter horror read. I started it back in the middle of March, and now the weather is far from winter-like here I hit a bit of a reading slump and really struggled to finish it. The book itself was ok. It started off good, but then about 2/3 of the way in I started to not care for it.
    minor spoilers

I just started My Best Friends Exorcism. And I realized as I was typing this that this is now the third physical book in a row that I'm reading that pertains to demonic possession... I might need to read something vastly different next
    You can always ask me for a PDF of The Limousine :p
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Yeehaw

When discussing the last book I read (The Westing Game), I mentioned that I was about to finally read A Game Of Thrones, which I'd been looking forward to for quite some time. However, when I finished TWG, I thought about it and realized I had become ravenous for some nonfiction. I considered Influence by Robert Cialdini (which I'd read before but is worth re-reading) and Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov (I can't remember if I've read this, but I've had it forever) before settling on Mathematics: From The Birth Of Numbers by Jan Gullberg (which I've owned for around 20 years but never got around to reading). I started that last week and am enjoying it so far. It is simpler to supply the publisher's blurb than to try to explain what this is:

This extraordinary work takes the reader on a long and fascinating journey--from the dual invention of numbers and language, through the major realms of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus, to the final destination of differential equations, with excursions into mathematical logic, set theory, topology, fractals, probability, and assorted other mathematical byways. The book is unique among popular books on mathematics in combining an engaging, easy-to-read history of the subject with a comprehensive mathematical survey text. Intended, in the author's words, "for the benefit of those who never studied the subject, those who think they have forgotten what they once learned, or those with a sincere desire for more knowledge," it links mathematics to the humanities, linguistics, the natural sciences, and technology.

Contains more than 1000 original technical illustrations, a multitude of reproductions from mathematical classics and other relevant works, and a generous sprinkling of humorous asides, ranging from limericks and tall stories to cartoons and decorative drawings.

Over 1000 technical illustrations and cartoons and drawings.
    Over 1,000 pages, but since it has lots of white space and since I certainly won't be attempting to solve the problems, I don't expect it to take forever (Asimov's physics book, on the other hand, looks like a 2-monther).

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Now that my kids are kids and not babies, I'm starting to have some time to pick reading back up and not fall asleep immediately. Finished The Walking by Bentley Little. I like his stuff. Easy to digest. I've also read The Consultant and The Mailman and I think I liked The Walking the best so far. It went in a direction I wasn't expecting.
    Right now I'm a third of the way through Swan Song by McCammon. It's big and I didn't want to start it till I thought I would actually be able to put my attention to it. I guess I was expecting a large cast of characters since I was thinking it was similar to The Stand. But, it's McCammon, and he focuses on a small cast in different locations. I've liked everything I've read by him so far.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

well since the tv show N0S4A2 is on now though so far i've only watched the Pilot i think this weekend i will watch the last 2 episodes as the show does look promising. anyways, while i was out last week on the way back from the dentist we went to drug mart so i can get some pills for my Allergies and i saw they had the book of NOS4A2 and i thought 1stly holy fuck is that a huge book. it's the paperback version of it, anyways i've never read Joe Hill Before though i do have Heart Shaped box which i still need to get around to actually read. and his Ghost stories book yes i know i have the title wrong but the book isn't in front of me and i don't know his books really at all.

how is the book anyways? some love it/hate it? i'm only like 30 pages into it so i'm curious what people think of the book and the show too actually

Country
    Country Flag

@Ghost stories book. NOS4A2 is my new favorite Hill novel since I finished it recently. I'll probably continue to watch the show but I'm not really caring for it. It departs too much from the source material for my taste.

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ya know when it comes to certain shit/ stories i can easily shut my brain off, like though i haven't read under the dome i enjoyed the show but that last season was fucking awful. my brother though loves The Mister Mercedes tv show though and he loves the books too. honestly it took me by surprise when he said he enjoys the show cause he's i think picky on how stuff is put to the smaller screen hence tv or the bigger screen. i am too to a certain degree but it depends on the film/story and cast and so forth. like i did enjoy the remake of IT but i really hated that ending

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Neon Prey by John Sandford. Good as always.
    The Reign Of The Kingfisher by T. J. Martinson. Very well written and entertaining debut novel.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Elevator Pitch by Linwood Barclay

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

THE STORY OF THE STONE,
    second of the Master Li and Number Ten Ox books, by Barry Hughart.

I re-read BRIDGE OF BIRDS every couple of years, but haven't read this one or the third (EIGHT SKILLED GENTLEMEN) in awhile.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

House of Lies, Ian Rankin

I love Rebus.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 666 of 714 FirstFirst ... 166 566 616 656 664 665 666 667 668 676 ... LastLast