Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 269 of 714 FirstFirst ... 169 219 259 267 268 269 270 271 279 319 369 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,725 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

because with the postal service in Russia, he probably wouldn't get it anyway.

yeah, it sucks. usually if we send him anything, we have to send it to London for his sporadic visits there, and he picks it up. However, if I buy the ebook I will send it to him.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I hate you all...

::jealous::

Jean, why didn't you order the book from Amazon for nine bucks when it was still at that price? Even with shipping to Russia, it's gotta be about the same as a new book in Russia, most likely?
    No, it is going to be a lot more expensive - I remember last time you gave me a link to where I could calculate it (it was about JAS), it came out about a quarter what I earn a month - there were some specific conditions for some countries and sure enough, Russia was one of them. Anyway, I'll never be able to buy it new, even here it's way too expensive; so either a student (I have some rich ones - rich here means they make more than $500 a month) makes me such a present on my next birthday, or a miracle happens and I find it in Paris at Gibert or Fnac at "prix special", or - well, will have to wait for a paperback.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That truly sucks, no other word for it. I just hate seeing you miss out on a new book like this.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't feel too bad Jean, I always wait for the paperback. ;D

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Jean - Doesn't Fedex or UPS deliver to your area?!?
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I hate you all...

::jealous::

Jean, why didn't you order the book from Amazon for nine bucks when it was still at that price? Even with shipping to Russia, it's gotta be about the same as a new book in Russia, most likely?
    No, it is going to be a lot more expensive - I remember last time you gave me a link to where I could calculate it (it was about JAS), it came out about a quarter what I earn a month - there were some specific conditions for some countries and sure enough, Russia was one of them. Anyway, I'll never be able to buy it new, even here it's way too expensive; so either a student (I have some rich ones - rich here means they make more than $500 a month) makes me such a present on my next birthday, or a miracle happens and I find it in Paris at Gibert or Fnac at "prix special", or - well, will have to wait for a paperback.
    Are there any little used bookstores out there where you can find books cheaper? I know it probably wouldn't work for Under the Dome since it's so recent, but you could maybe find some other good ones there. That's where I get a lot of my books from.
    Or what about a library?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I just woke up from a nap, into a dream because in the stack of mail on the table was
    Under The Dome!!! I got to go get started! OH JOY , and The Stephen King Library!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Heather love , we are a Russian-speaking country... chances of finding a recent King, in English, in a used book store are so low I don't think I am able to calculate them. The same goes for libraries.

I always get my English books in used book stores, too, but not here - in England or France. That's where I hope to find my Under the Dome, but, since I don't think there'll be a paperback as early as next spring (hopefully, I'll go to Paris in April), I hope Alexander can get one for me as soon as it comes out; then I'll get it by Xmas 2010; all that, I repeat, if a student doesn't think of something before that time.

Pam : I am not sure what Fedex or UPS are, but I am afraid if they were available, Alexander or Helen would know by now...

Pablo and Irish Dawn:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, here's hoping when you go to Paris in April, you'll be able to score the hardcover. It's a beautiful book.

Country
    Country Flag

psst

Spoiler:
    even before I have the book, I may have an electronic version...

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Good luck Jean.
    I'd send you my copy if I knew it would safely make it out to you.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

But Jean, as a book lover, surely you know it's not that same...

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure Jean will agree that that is true, but as a russian book lover I'm sure he'll say it's also much more readily available.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Yes to both.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Road

Wanted to read it before the movie comes out. What an interesting way of writing Mr. McCarthy has.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How do I want to read Under the Dome.
    Instead, I'm reading Alastair Reynolds' Pushing Ice and trying to forget about all the magnificent NEW books around.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I gotta go and buy Under the Dome sometime soon. I don't want to have people spoil me the fun in all those threads out there...

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    The Road

Wanted to read it before the movie comes out. What an interesting way of writing Mr. McCarthy has.
    I am also reading The Road. I am about halfway through it. He has a very poetic style. Yet, it is quite choppy and disconnected. Beautifully frustrating. Also the lack of punctuation and grammer is distracting. I found "No Country for Old Men" both easier to read and less entertaining.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    The Road

I am also reading The Road. I am about halfway through it. He has a very poetic style. Yet, it is quite choppy and disconnected. Beautifully frustrating. Also the lack of punctuation and grammer is distracting. I found "No Country for Old Men" both easier to read and less entertaining.
    Yes, I think I can see how you find see the grammar and punctuation distracting. It hasn't really bothered me much, but I'm only about 60 pages in. I do have to say though, the book is very easy to visualize. It's almost so real in my head. This being my first McCarthy, I'm quite interested in his other books now.

I regret leaving my soul
    maybe when I die

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

No Country For Old Men is good, though excedingly violent. However, I think the needless violence is kinda the point. It is written in a much more fluid manner than The Road, but I think that some of the poetic discription found in The Road is missing from this book.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I've only seen the movie so I cannot comment on the book, the violence is very much the point. I think I might give All the Pretty Horses a shot sometime.

I regret leaving my soul
    maybe when I die

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

My next McCarthy book will be Blood Meridian. Though, I have several in "the stack" atop that one.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    My next McCarthy book will be Blood Meridian. Though, I have several in "the stack" atop that one.
    I'm reading Blood Meridian right now. It's frustratingly beautiful (to steal a phrase ) in the sense that some pages will require more than one reading due to McCarthy's style and the amount of information and references that can be found in any given page can be a bit overwhelming at times. Despite that however, I'm still thoroughly enjoying it.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

All the Pretty Horses is such a normal, romantic story compared to other books by him. It started way slow for me..put it away a couple times..but I ended up really enjoying it. Frank Muller reads the audiobook too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 269 of 714 FirstFirst ... 169 219 259 267 268 269 270 271 279 319 369 ... LastLast