Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 241 of 714 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 239 240 241 242 243 251 291 341 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,025 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I know! I'm so excited!
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

With their sensibilities, it will make an excellent movie. The story is good. The characters are good (and perfect for the Coen's to adapt). I am really looking forward to it.

I read it via audiobook, which was read by Peter Reigert (Boone from Animal House) and he did a remarkable job with it.

Glad someone else is reading it now.

And thanks for the rec on The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I will add it to my list today.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished a reread of The Green Mile and am now reading Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health by Gary Taubes.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I just purchased The Lightning Thief at Target

If you're reading this - Thanks Blake!

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

I'm trying to make DT last
    Yes, I know the feeling.

I really need some new books to read now that I'm finally done with the DT books myself. I want to try this series:

http://store.tor.com/book/9780765321275

But I don't think I'm ready for another book like that yet...too soon!

SO I'm awaiting this from my library instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Dark

It should be creepy and Western enough to satisfy me for now.

I started reading "Insomnia" too, but it just made me sad that I wasn't reading the DT series, so I'll take that one slow and see how it goes.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm now reading Reign Of Fear: The Fiction And Films Of Stephen King
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finally starting to read Infinite Jest. (though I know a lot of you may not have liked it)
    Hopefully I can get through it! I'm doing the summer plan:
    www.infinitesummer.org
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

Infinite Jest is a book that made me feel a little sick sometimes, but I couldn't stop reading it.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

[quote=AcidBumbler;406814]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Shume View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Shume View Post
    Rereading Eragon by Christopher Paolini for the 7th time right now. Gonna reread Eldest and Brisingr after as well. Fantastic books.
    Hold on - fantastic books?? If by fantastic you mean derivative, devoid of any real literary merit, and general pabulum, then I agree. Paolini has managed to parlay a history of plagiarism into a career. Tolkein, Lucas, and a couple other guys all rub elbows in the horrific pages of what he calls a "book." Quotes are needed since they only make great kindling for camping in my mind.

Haha. I can understand people being pissed off at the 'plagarism' but I love the Inheritance Cycle. True, it's ridiculously similar to LOTR and such but it's still one of my favourite series.
    I think they're entertaining, and let's leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    I'm trying to make DT last

It should be creepy and Western enough to satisfy me for now.
    awesome choice.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Infinite Jest is a book that made me feel a little sick sometimes, but I couldn't stop reading it.
    I felt that way until I finished the first quarter of a page.

I can understand why it's polarizing - I don't think I would recommend it to a friend out of the blue. It's not an enjoyable book.

Thinking about it reminds me of a graphic novel by Dan Clowes called "Like a Velvet Glove Cast In Iron." It's nonsensical/surreal/grotesque/story-less and I still read the whole thing, for better or for worse.

And I'm not trying to sound snobby or anything...I'm just fascinated by why someone keeps reading any book that is mostly plotless and miserable. Morbid fascination? Weird literary peer pressure?

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theyspunaweb View Post

Finally starting to read Infinite Jest. (though I know a lot of you may not have liked it)
    Hopefully I can get through it! I'm doing the summer plan:
    www.infinitesummer.org
    awesome. i read it last fall. i adore DFW. in fact, i just bought "This is Water", a book consisting of the transcription of his commencement address at Kenyon College (very beautiful and DFW to the core) and a copy of "Best American Essays 2007" which DFW edited and wrote the intro to today. can't wait to dig into both. but first:

Ulysses

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bluelph24 View Post

awesome. i read it last fall. i adore DFW. in fact, i just bought "This is Water", a book consisting of the transcription of his commencement address at Kenyon College (very beautiful and DFW to the core) and a copy of "Best American Essays 2007" which DFW edited and wrote the intro to today. can't wait to dig into both. but first:

Ulysses
    It seems pretty crazy, I'm really interested. I've only gotten through a few pages (15) because I was on the bus but it is exciting. Oh and I like tennis.

I can understand why it's polarizing - I don't think I would recommend it to a friend out of the blue. It's not an enjoyable book.

Thinking about it reminds me of a graphic novel by Dan Clowes called "Like a Velvet Glove Cast In Iron." It's nonsensical/surreal/grotesque/story-less and I still read the whole thing, for better or for worse.

And I'm not trying to sound snobby or anything...I'm just fascinated by why someone keeps reading any book that is mostly plotless and miserable. Morbid fascination? Weird literary peer pressure?
    I read through the Forward by Dave Eggers, and it really hyped me up for the book. He seems to love it; it seems like it is a love or hate book. He said that the book will make you actually use your brain, and give it a work out. He said a whole lot of other things, and I guess I'm glad I read the Forward to this book because if other people can appreciate the craziness, maybe I can too.

I guess we'll see!
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've read Infinite Jest at least a few times. I loved it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

yeah. i really liked it, but it does take awhile to read. i typically read a book with an average of 500 pages a week, but Infinite jest, which should have only taken me two weeks or so took me a month. so it's fairly slow and difficult but very rewarding imo

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm almost finished with Amusing Ourselves to Death, and I am recommending this book to everybody (but particularly Americans). However, it will really help to read, or at least be familiar with, Brave New World and 1984. They are both worth the read but Sparknotes will do if you're in a rush to read AOtD.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theyspunaweb View Post
    [
    I read through the Forward by Dave Eggers, and it really hyped me up for the book. He seems to love it; it seems like it is a love or hate book. He said that the book will make you actually use your brain, and give it a work out. He said a whole lot of other things, and I guess I'm glad I read the Forward...
    Likewise. The Forward was the best part of the book, IMO. Not to disparage Mr. Wallace's skills as a writer. Some of his non-fiction essays were pretty interesting, IIRC.

In any case, this is what I'm reading now,

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm just about halfway through The Collector by John Fowles. After I finish that, I was thinking about reading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Can anyone tell me if it's any good?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes. I loved it.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yes, it's great. Definitely read it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Have you read 20th Century Ghosts at all?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, I haven't. That's the short story collection, right?

I'm trying to get all this summer work done then I'll be free to read whatever I want (Ah, I remember those days).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yep. I'd highly recommend this one as well. Both are good but I enjoyed this one a bit more.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

20th Century Ghosts is absolutely fantastic. I didn't think much of Heart Shaped Box, but it looks like everyone else liked it.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    In any case, this is what I'm reading now,

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

+ Reply to Thread
Page 241 of 714 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 239 240 241 242 243 251 291 341 ... LastLast