Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Arguments for the Kindle

Hybrid View

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Arguments for the Kindle

1. The Stand
    2. The Talisman
    3. The Dark Tower books
    4. It
    5. Needful Things
    6. Insomnia
    7. Duma Key
    And the final one that pushed me over the edge just last night...
    8. Under the Dome

My hubby and I went to Best Buy the other day to look at a new game and they had a Kindle (new one) on display there. It amazed me just how thin the thing is now. Yes I have seen the pictures of it online, but until I picked it up and looked at it I just hadn't grasped (pun or no pun your choice ) just how extremely thin it really is.

Then last night I pulled one of the 4 copies of UTD I have off the shelf to start reading it... the first thing I noticed was just how heavy the thing really is, I know I weighed it back when it came out due to needing to ship one and it was like 8lbs 11oz or some such... Noticable wieght. Then I looked at how thick it is... 2 7/16 inches.

Right then I realised just how nice a Kindle would be to have. The Kindle is about the thickness of the board on that book... not sure what it wieghs but I know it isn't as much as just the ouches over 8lbs that UTD wieghs.

I am starting to wonder if SK has stock in Kindle now.

Don't get me wrong, I will never give up my 1/1 collection of hard back SK books (the phase "they will pry it from my cold, dead hands" comes to mind), but having them on a Kindle so I can take them ALL anywhere I want with me, easily, is very nice.

Ofcourse I will have to keep it away from the toilet.
    Last edited by ChristineB; 10-07-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: for grammer and puncuation

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Part of my whole issue with the Kindle is .

1. You don't own a physical book ( therefore, no lending, no re-selling, no trading in )

2. Likely, you already own the book if it's one of your favorite authors, so unless it's a new release, so you're buying things yet AGAIN. And, if it's a Sai King book - aren't you going to buy a hardcopy anyways?

3. $12.99 isn't cheap, and that's what a lot of the new releases are going for.

I just can't see paying the cost of the Kindle and then the cost of getting all my favorite books, and then ... and then ....
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will be owning all his books anyway. And while in the house will be reading from them, I don't think the Kindle could replace any physical book for me.

But, I read away from home too, and the thought of having to lug this (and many others of his) around so I can, even the paperback version, is not fun.

And we all buy extra copies (most of us do anyway) now I just won't need the $10 p/b copy of these books too.

I find it funny that so many of his books are so big they have become an argument (for me anyway) for finally buying the thing. It didn't hurt that they reduced the price to a point where it was an option. I would still not be buying one for $250 even at this point.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, you make a good case! Especially due to the heft issue with a lot of the SK books.

I just see it as yet another way to spend money on books... which, I really don't need!

With the price drop to $189 - it sure was tempting, but I just remind myself of the collectible edition I might get for that money and the temptation goes away!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    With the price drop to $189 - it sure was tempting, but I just remind myself of the collectible edition I might get for that money and the temptation goes away!
    LOL

I can understand that

Country
    Country Flag

The other thing these books are good for:

--work out weights (who needs 5lb weights?)
    --doorstops
    --personal defense (smack someone with UTD and they aren't getting up for a few)
    --paper weights (even the wind in Amarillo isn't moving UTD)
    --step stools

Ok... having diarrhea of the fingers now

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post
    The other thing these books are good for:

--work out weights (who needs 5lb weights?)
    --doorstops
    --personal defense (smack someone with UTD and they aren't getting up for a few)
    --paper weights (even the wind in Amarillo isn't moving UTD)
    --step stools

Ok... having diarrhea of the fingers now
    Hard core collectors, please ignore the following post....

My bed is currently being held up by my hardcover Dark Tower books
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I used to joke that even the Kindle version of Under the Dome was heavy.

By the way, the WiFi only version is now only $139.

I love my Kindle. I buy most of my new books in that format.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been kicking around the Kindle idea myself. I usually find myself going to the library to get books to read, and I rarely buy books any more. So if I got one, I'd have to start spending 10-12 bucks a book and not have anything physical to show for it. But the other day, I was at my kid's Karate class, and I had no book. If I had a Kindle with 3G, I could have just bought something and started reading it right then and there. And as much as I love the feel of a book in your hands, they do get a bit uncomfortable when it is 1000+ pages. I may ask my wife to get me one for Xmas.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I used to buy books new, read them as soon as possible after publication, and then resell them on Amazon marketplace while the hardcover still had some resale value. I figure the net cost was about $10-$12 a book. That being the case, I have no trouble paying $9.99 or $12.99 for an eBook that I'll always have that won't take up space on our already overburdened shelves.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hm. To me, the heftier the better

Can't see myself reading on a device. I love the feel of a physical book. I don't even buy so-called paperback reading copies, I only read in hardcover, as those are the only True Books.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I hate the kindle. Those kind of devices will leave me out of a job in the future if they truly catch people's fancies. There's nothing quite like a bookstore...

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

True Books, to me, are the words themselves. Doesn't matter how I read them, as long as the story is told.

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    True Books, to me, are the words themselves. Doesn't matter how I read them, as long as the story is told.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I'm not a collector of books, never buy more than one copy and it's usually paperback. Simply because it's cheaper and easier to handle. A new hardcover in Norway can cost you $68, while a recently released paperback is $16/$22.
    Sure, physically reading from a book is nice, but I think I would actually read more if I had a Kindle.
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I guess I'm old-fashioned. I love my job so much. I hate things that jeopardize my possible future there.

And I'd rather replace one book than one expensive piece of equipment with all my books on it.

Plus I can't take a bath while reading mechanical book.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hitchhiker View Post
    Plus I can't take a bath while reading mechanical book.
    Hehe, don't tell my Kindle that, will be reading it in the bath just like I do my regular books. Have to be just as careful with it as I do my regular books.

It will just be so much easier to take the Kindle (with all his books on it) with me to my mom's house then just one pb copy of UTD.

Country
    Country Flag

I love books, too, and I hate that many local bookstores have had to close due to Amazon, B&N, etc. I always wanted to have a large library in my home, but I've had to move so many times, that I've donated most of my books to local libraries. I've resisted getting a Kindle since it came out, and I'm still on the fence. I'm to the point that I don't really care how I read a book, as long as I get a chance to enjoy it.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I have a free Kindle app on my iPod Touch and I used it to buy and read UR (which hasn't been collected in a print edition yet) and BLOCKADE BILLY (because I wanted to read it - European customers are in the back of the shipping-waiting line at Cemetery Dance... it took about two months for me to get the book even when I ordered it literally 5 minutes after the site went live... but anyway )

But I won't be getting a true Kindle. I'm a physical-book man.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I just can't get into it. Most paperbacks will find a way to fit one of your pockets (jeans. jacket, sweatshirt) or the back seat of the car works fine too. They're cheap too.. used for $2-3, sometimes less if you're lucky. I'm also refusing to pay for MP3s. Paying for computer data.. I don't know, I guess it doesn't sit well with me.

Keep in mind though, I don't own a cellphone, I still listen to records and I don't have an MP3 player...

but I have a walkman (you know.. cassettes) and a tape deck.

I figure younger kids make up the big percentage of the Kindle consumers.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    ...I still listen to records...
    You mean vinyl? Wow.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know...I've been toying with the idea of an E-Reader myself.
    I just cannot get over the "real book" argument, however. There's something about that hefty old volume, with the creaking cover, and even the musty smell of pages...I don't think I could ever give that up.

The only reason I would get one, as a student, is that most college textbooks can be purchased on them nowadays. If my book load gets really heavy in the next few years, I may have to cave in. As of right now, my total textbook loads probably weighs about half of me

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    The only reason I would get one, as a student, is that most college textbooks can be purchased on them nowadays. If my book load gets really heavy in the next few years, I may have to cave in. As of right now, my total textbook loads probably weighs about half of me
    I wouldn't do this just because I used to sell mine back at the end of the semester to recoup a small amount of the cost for the buggers. Ofcourse it would have been nice not to have to lug around a 20lb book at school.

I'd be willing to be you won't save any money by getting them electronically (based on the fact the comp books my hubby gets electronically are not discounted).

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will never give up real books. No way.

. . . but . . .

I broke down and bought a Kindle when UR came out, and I have to admit I really like it. It mostly comes in handy on 'errand' day - waiting for an oil change, in the doctor's office, etc. Once I ended up finishing the book I was reading and in barely over a minute I downloaded a new one - I didn't have to carry 2!

And by the way, there are tons of FREE books for Kindle. I've found that there are quite a few newer releases that they'll promote as freebies for a limited time as well as the always-free classics. For those of you who have a Kindle, click here for the page.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I love gadgets, but books are one thing I will never personally digitise. As has been said already, I just love books - it almost seems blasphemous to have ebooks, I can't help thinking it's one step towards a Farenheit 451 scenario. I know that's slightly over the top but y'know what I mean?

Not everything needs to be modernised and ultra convenienced.

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I love gadgets, but books are one thing I will never personally digitise. As has been said already, I just love books - it almost seems blasphemous to have ebooks, I can't help thinking it's one step towards a Farenheit 451 scenario. I know that's slightly over the top but y'know what I mean?

Not everything needs to be modernised and ultra convenienced.
    I absolutely agree with everything in this statement. I'm all for Star Trek and all, having little pads and all, but I don't want them to take away from my books. It seems like sacrilege. I should think the kindles should be used for saving costs for people in school, etc.,. I'm perfectly happy with having a book.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast