Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Martin Scorsese

18 64.29%
  • Akira Kurosawa

10 35.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Quarter Finals - Scorsese vs Kurosawa

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"indifferent", I said, not "enthusiastic"

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you folken not seen what Kurosawa did?

I do think that Scorsese is greatest among his peer group, but this is just ridiculous.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    "indifferent", I said, not "enthusiastic"
    I know. But Sopranos is about the greatest TV show ever and only about 30% of it is actually about the mob. And if you don't want to watch that...watch Six Feet Under if you haven't. I think bears would love Six Feet Under
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*Bumpity bump

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Scorsese.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

no, not at this ratio!

some more people who love cinema, come on, one of the three greatest directors of all times needs your help

(yes, I know what is about to be posted right underneath my post. To prevent this, I am expressing myself explicitly: no, I do not mean Scorsese.)

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Scorsese is no where near Kurosawa's level when it comes to directors. If you haven't experienced an Akira Kurosawa film, and it is obvious to me that there are 14 people who have not, you should RUN, do not walk, to amazon or ebay or your local retailer and find one of his films in the movies section, take it straight home, and watch something by the greatest movie director to ever grace this planet.

Kurosawa all the way baby!!!
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Sam I love you, my friend - but I have to disagree. I've seen the films of both directors, and went with Marty.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Sam I love you, my friend - but I have to disagree. I've seen the films of both directors, and went with Marty.
    yes, I've noticed, and this is not the first time you go with the wrong guy

What Sam said, except the greatest movie director part. One of the four greatest, though, that's for sure.

My Mood
    Gay

Jean.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Country
    Country Flag

Dear Pam,
    I am totally sorry that your moral compass is so badly screwed that it would cause you to vote for Marty over The Emperor. If there is anything I can do to help you get it fixed, please let me know. I suggest you go to Netflix more often. Watch two Yojimbo films (that would be Yojimbo and Sanjuro) and call me in the morning.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Country
    Country Flag

especially Yojimbo

should be in every encyclopedia next to "masterpiece"

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Dear Pam,
    I am totally sorry that your moral compass is so badly screwed that it would cause you to vote for Marty over The Emperor. If there is anything I can do to help you get it fixed, please let me know. I suggest you go to Netflix more often. Watch two Yojimbo films (that would be Yojimbo and Sanjuro) and call me in the morning.

I put Netflix right up there with FaceBook... time suck !!

I have yet to find a single moment where I needed something to watch. Between cable, network tv and my ( way too big ) DVD collection, I have plenty to occupy my movie-watching time.

Oh, and I've seen all of the Emperor's films. I like them. They're impressive. I would even go so far as to say that I loved Ran. I just think Marty is a better director and I like his movies more.

Country
    Country Flag

can you post in one of the standing threads some analysis? I mean, I see how someone can love some movies more than others, but I fail to understand how Scorsese is a better director than Kurosawa. I just would like to know how you see directing generally, and the two directors in particular (no hurry, of course, but I would really really like to know some time in the future)

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    can you post in one of the standing threads some analysis? I mean, I see how someone can love some movies more than others, but I fail to understand how Scorsese is a better director than Kurosawa. I just would like to know how you see directing generally, and the two directors in particular (no hurry, of course, but I would really really like to know some time in the future)
    Sure. Give me some time to get my thoughts together and I'll post something, hopefully understandable.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking forward to reading it as well, Pam.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Scorcese is a fantastic director. He's pioneer in American Cinema. You've got to look beyond his Mob Movies though, to find great pictures like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and The Aviator. Kurosawa may be a better director but Scorsese is simply iconic in the Western world. His movies are amazing, if not at least least highly entertaining. He's able to get amazing performances out of his actors, in every movie.

I haven't seen any Kurosawa so I can't compared the two, but Scorsese has made some incredible films. Raging Bull was just...too good.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with all that & furthermore I think his "mob movies" also have some value.

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Kurosawa.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I think Scorcese is a fantastic director. He's pioneer in American Cinema. You've got to look beyond his Mob Movies though, to find great pictures like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and The Aviator. Kurosawa may be a better director but Scorsese is simply iconic in the Western world. His movies are amazing, if not at least least highly entertaining. He's able to get amazing performances out of his actors, in every movie.

I haven't seen any Kurosawa so I can't compared the two, but Scorsese has made some incredible films. Raging Bull was just...too good.
    And I think you have hit the nail on it right there (bolding was my idea). You haven't seen any Kurosawa. How can one possibly give an opinion when you have sampled only half of the pool? Forgetting this vote, I would recommend you experience Kurosawa's work. If not for us, then for yourself. I think there are far too many people in the world who have never become aquainted with Akira Kurosawa. For me, he is the ultimate director, demanding perfection not just from himself, but from everyone who dared to work on his film set. He required complete authenticity and nothing less would suffice. Many of his techniques are still being used today, even with modern digital film making. Scorsese has never been a favorite of mine, but I can see and do agree with his impact as a director. His work has become iconic to the western world. Kurosawa's, on the other hand, is iconic throughout the entire globe. More than a few of his films have won numerous accolades and are known as some of the best the world has seen. Why, he gave us the original Man With No Name. If you haven't seen one of his films, the you owe it to yourself to find one and watch it. Get one of his better known films to start with, I promise you will not be disappointed.

My Mood
    Gay

Mattrick - I'm going to have to agree with Sam on this one. He states what I am thinking, very well.

How can one possibly give an opinion when you have sampled only half of the pool?
    Personally, I won't vote if I don't have a good idea of both director's films. That I've experienced both of their catalog enough that I have a sense of their talent and meaning, to me. That only seems fair.

Of course, Mattrick, that's your call, but it's hard for people to give a lot of credence to what you're saying if you have no personal experience with both directors... even if I do agree with what you're saying about Marty ( my pick here ).

And, Dude!! You call yourself a movie fan, aspire to do the Hollywood thing personally, and you've not seen any Kurosawa!?!?! You owe it to yourself to make the effort. Big time.

Country
    Country Flag

only one day left... guys, if will be a rotten shame if Kurosawa is kicked out at this stage

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Scorsese advances !

Country
    Country Flag

grrrrrrrrrrr..........

bears lose again

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast