Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Little Sisters Of Eluria Discussion

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Artwork is great. I like the first issue.. a lot. What I still don't like is Roland talking outloud to himself. I wouldn't mind either a few panels without any words or inner monologue. Talking outloud just seems silly and unlike Roland.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Artwork is great. I like the first issue.. a lot. What I still don't like is Roland talking outloud to himself. I wouldn't mind either a few panels without any words or inner monologue. Talking outloud just seems silly and unlike Roland.
    I agree. (I haven't read this comic but I've read the others so I know what you're talking about.) I guess that's one problem with ditching thought balloons. They could always put those things into captions instead, a tactic many modern comics use, but they use that for a separate third person character narrator, one not privy to Roland's thoughts.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Another solid issue. Makes me realize how bad anything between The Gunslinger Born and this storyline really was. The art is looking really great. The full page artwork with just the Sisters on it is epic.

Extra at the back is also cool because it's about the origin of the Sisters that came directly from King himself.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm. I wasn't going to get this, since I'm more after new material in my Dark Tower comics. (True Gunslinger Born largely covered ground already taken but there was new stuff...)

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Extra at the back is also cool because it's about the origin of the Sisters that came directly from King himself.
    This, however, makes me wonder if I should reconsider.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think the issue was pretty good. Accurate . . . Even noticed lines taken right out of the story. Im also at odds with Roland talking out loud to himself though. Its just weird.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Traveler The Ckosing is on a distinguished road

Default Artist Query

Let me first prerequisite by stating I'm a bit behind being that I just ordered the latest hardcover and pre-ordered "Little Sisters." Trying to figure out the artist situation for this series has been a real hassle as there's been little to no information given on the matter. To me the vision that Jae Lee and Richard painted out was picture perfect. I understand that Jae was unable to make certain deadlines so perhaps that's the reason why he's not returning ... With that said, at least Richard made sure everything still felt like it was within the ballpark for "The Journey Begins" from the previews I've seen. With the latest arc however I guess Richard has now left the series as well? Looking at the preview images of Little Sisters I can't force myself to believe this is even within the same universe. The artwork has gone from well, art to comic cheese. I realize some people may prefer the new comicy style, but where's the consistency? For me it kills the immersion that the series has built. Is Sisters of Eluria considering a side story, meaning that Richard will return for the next true arc? If anyone has opinions or better yet source information on the subject then please do tell.

Thanks.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure as to your questions, but if you want to see some really amazing Isanove Remarques, then check out my collection thread as listed below. I am pretty freaking jazzed about them and a pencil sketch is out at the framer!!!!! Soon to be Photographed!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler The Ckosing is on a distinguished road

So everybody else is just as in the dark on the subject as I am?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

As far as know, Richard is a very integral part of the series, Like I said, check out my remarques and I will be posting an original pencil sketch within a week. He sure seems to have the "universe" down to a science!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

How are the extras on this series?

I was thinking of waiting for the collection, or just leaving it altogether, it being a retread of what I've read before. If there is some interesting stuff in the extras though, I might pick these up at some point. All my other Dark Tower comics are in single issue form after all.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll go through all of the extras this weekend and let you know. I get singles too. I used to buy hardcovers but then the story jumped the shark and collecting HCs of something I thought was bland took the back seat. I need HCs of legit story adaptions (The Talisman, N, The Stand) by SK before completing TDT 'just to have it.'

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks WeDealInLead.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tik will become famous soon enough Tik's Avatar

How are the extras on this series?
    If you like the extras to be stories of Mid-World, issue 3 onwards is a must. It's about the origin of the Little Sisters....and even though the story has just started, I've an idea another character from an earlier King book is starting to make its presence known....

Country
    Country Flag

Seems like my cup of tea, thanks for answering! I often wondered about the Little Sisters, and the fact it's a part one is promising! I've often wondered how they fit in the vampire hierarchy as they don't quite fit with the other three types.*
    Spoiler:
    Okay, I suppose they could be the same species as The Grandfathers - Grandmothers, if you like - and they're both accompanied by bugs but those bugs seem rather different in size and function, although they're both known as 'little doctors' suggesting King meant them to be the same...

*Please don't answer that by the way, unless you want to spoiler tag it. I'll likely buy the series now.

Country
    Country Flag

I've finally taken the plunge and ordered the first 2 of these comics. Unfortunately issue 3 wasn't available on Ebay.*

*I tend to get most of these comics on ebay. (My local comic shop isn't very good for DT stuff, although I have seen stuff there in the past.) Other comic shops tend to be more expensive or difficult to search. Mind you, I think they're actually regular street shops who happen to advertise on the web charging postage at a greater rate.

EDIT-
    The first issue arrived today. I largely liked it. I had some reservations, which I'll list first, so as to end on a good note:

Roland talking to himself
    He always seems to do that in the comics. I understand that Peter David (or maybe it's Robin Furth) want to include some of Stephen Kings words within the comic, but I think this is a bad way to do it. It's mostly Roland's thoughts that are done this way, and since they don't use thought balloons any more they make him deliver a monologue. Why not put his thoughts into the captions (perhaps replace some of the stuff that's actually in the captions, there's a thought) or, just leave it out altogether. Sure we'd miss out Mr King's words then but we're missing out plenty of others anyway. It's a different medium. Those who want to read that stuff can read the books.

Captions
    I don't find these as irritating as many seem to. But I think they go a bit overboard.

Roland as Jesus
    I get the parallel Furth was making, I just don't think it's apt. This is probably partly due to my Christian roots and I'm sure no harm was meant, but I found the image rather pretentious.

Little Sisters
    I'll spoiler tag this, just in case anyone come in here who hasn't read the comic or the original novella.
    Spoiler:
    They're too green. They look too much like the slow mutants, and not just the green-ness, their features too. Mind you, maybe that was an intentional glamour on their part; to be vampiric versions of the people they were speaking to. I doubt that was the artist's intention though. Also, I'm undecided if we should have seen their monstrous appearance so early.

I understand that there is a logic in appearing in a scary form to the mutants, in that they want to scare and boss them around, but for first time readers I can't help feeling it gave them away too soon. I think they should have had their 'glamoured' human look or we should have seen them from behind. Keep it ambiguous as to whether they're truly good or not. They have just saved Roland after all. Give the readers a twist later.

On the other hand, for those of us who have read the original novella, it's an interesting alternate take on the story.

Furth's essay
    She seemed to spend most of it retelling what we've just read in the comic.

Onto the good stuff:
    Good storytelling
    Caption waffle and Roland's self-talky madness aside, the story was told well. It didn't get far, but in introducing the town, I think there's something to be said for taking a leisurely pace. Helps create the sense of melancholy suited to a ghost town.

Gorgeous Artwork
    Luke Ross and Richard Isanove did lovely work here. And, linking to what's above, it told the story well.

Slow Mutant design
    Great to see Slow Mutants that are green! (Mind you these had to be, considering their name.) Despite every slow-mutant we see in the DT books being this colour there's a surprisingly few in the books. They're all pink or reddish in Jae Lee's work. That's ok, I'm sure they come in other colours, (our own for example) but it's nice to see the green ones here. Nicely realised too.

Little Sisters Design
    Although I'm not keen on
    Spoiler:
    how similar they look to the muties
    , they do look good.
    Spoiler:
    I like the teeth. Nice to go a different way to the usual two fang overbite. I'd have rather gone with a hag-like design as they're described in the book though. That's assuming they retain this form and it's not just another glamour for the muties benefit of course.

Furth's Essay
    When you cut out her retelling of the story, there's not much left, but it was interesting enough to read. I appreciate reading her reasoning, etc, even if I don't agree with it.

Overall good job. The second issue should arrive in the post soon.

Country
    Country Flag

Default Little Sisters of Eluria #2 WITH SPOILERS.

I seem to be talking to myself on this thread.

Anyhoo, the second issue did indeed come yesterday. They really crammed in the panels this issue didn't they? It looked fine though.

There seemed to be less of the captions, although in this issue I think maybe they could have been utilised more. Roland was nattering away to himself again you see, describing what he could see. Seriously, either bring back thought bubbles, or use the captions. Or just SHOW us. It's a wonder the Little Sisters didn't pour a whole load of the bugs into his ear to fix his brain up.

Also for some reason Jenna seemed to take on the monstrous look at one point. That's a deviation from the comic. Although she is a vampire, (or at least going that way) the suggestion in the original story is that her appearance is not glammer like it is with the others.

That being said, I thought it was great issue. I liked how they switched the nurses appearance back and forth. A little suggestion of red-eye here and there. It worked very well.

Furth's essay was an improvement on issue #1. It was interesting learning a bit more concerning King's thoughts on the Little Sisters*, and Furth's thoughts on the correlation between Desperation and this story was very interesting. That's the sort of thing I want to read. Not a retelling of the chapter I just read.

The art was as good as ever. I liked the artist's take on Jenna.

Generally a good faithful adaptation of the story.

*I understand there's even more info in the later issues...
    Last edited by Brainslinger; 04-09-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: I replaced the word 'captions' for 'panels'.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have not yet begun reading this arc, as I wait to get the entire run before I do. Your comments, however, are making me reconsider this.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I have not yet begun reading this arc, as I wait to get the entire run before I do. Your comments, however, are making me reconsider this.
    Are you reconsidering buying the story at all, or just waiting for the GN?

If it's the former, please let me just say that I did largely like the two issues that I've read. My posts might come across a bit negative, as I've a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the monologue stuff, but I'm not really as irritated as the posts might appear! (Okay, it does irritate a bit, but I still found it mostly enjoyable. The monologues give these comics the feel of watching a play, if that makes sense.)

If it's the latter, getting the issues isn't a bad idea if you like the extras. Especially as we learn more about the origins of the Little Sisters.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I buy each issue as it comes out. I just save them until the arc is finished, then I read it.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished the last issue. It was an OK storyline with mediocre art. I bet if King's name wasn't attached to this, it would've ended a long time ago.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've got all the issues. Now I just have to find the time to read them.

John

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is that me or there is no more variants at all??
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

They stopped producing variants with The Dark Tower: The Journey Ends #1 and The Stand: Soul Survivors #5. American Vampire had variants for all five of the King issues. I stopped collecting that one when the King issues ended, so I don't know if they continued or not. They stopped issuing sketch variants with The Dark Tower: Fall of Gilead #6 and The Stand: American Nightmares #4.

I guess the "regular" issues were just not selling well enough to warrant issuing variants.

John

Country
    Country Flag

I'm finding it quite difficult to get issue 3. I'm wondering if they had a shorter print run than the others as most places seem to be out. Last I checked on ebay, the only one I see was shipped from Australia! (I'm not paying that postage cost!)

EDIT- That didn't stop me ordering four and five though! And shortly later, I found A Place in Space had put issue 3 on ebay, so thats on the way now too. Great! (#2 arrived this morning, but I'll wait for #3 before reading, although I've had a little look through.)

I was a bit disappointed to find out the Little Sisters origin story is actually by Robin Furth rather than King, although she got some of her ideas from her discussion with him. I knew she would be writing it, but I get the impression King's contribution will just be the stuff she mentioned at the back of issue 2, but I could be wrong. On the other hand I'm still looking forward to it.

Spoiler:
    I have mixed feeling of her tying it in with the ideas in Desperation (she did that due to the Language of the Unformed and the location of the Desatoya Mountains featuring in both stories). Part of me wishes she would come up with something original, but on the other hand I do like Desperation, and it could be very interesting.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Little Sisters of Eluria - HC edition

The little sisters of Eluria - HC edition
    (Includes numbers 1 to 5)

(Click on the images for larger display)

Near death from an attack by Slow Mutants, Roland Deschain is taken in by a group of Sisters who specialize in anything but the healing arts. These hideous, corpse-like creatures known as the Little Sisters of Eluria have murder on their twisted minds. And in his current, wounded condition, there's almost nothing the last gunslinger can do to prevent their tender mercies from taking hold.

• Hardcover: 136 pages
    • Publisher: Marvel (June 22, 2011)
    • Language: English
    • ISBN-10: 0785149317
    • ISBN-13: 978-0785149316
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast