Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Christopher Nolan

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Feev. You've been looking at spoilers?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Not necessarily, it's more like a culmination of little details that I've been reading / seeing up until this point ...

Having said that, however, I have to admit that as strongly as I fought the temptation, in the end I succumbed and watching the 6 minute prologue/intro to TDKR ... it's amazing

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Here's a Russian interview with Hardy in regards to playing Bane. Its mostly hints at characterization. One bit of wording may confirm a rumor...or not. Its a rough translation.

Spoiler:
    Bane isn’t just an upscale mercenary. This guy hasgreat potential - he’s something like a cross between a revolutionary and a dictator - he can probably to some degree be compared to Che Guevara, the revolution is in his blood, he can’t live without it - and when he comes to Gotham, things change forever. And he’s a machine who brain washes you - he seem to zombify others, and they are willing to blindly follow him without thought of the consequences because they are scared as hell of him coming to their city. This ability allows him to easily manipulate people, and in particular his large army of assassins. They would rather die than disobey their commander. Bane crushes both physically and mentally.

Bane is very interesting with his force and the warehouse in his own mind - he is a very unusual character - to take on this role for me was very interesting, but I found it difficult to portray this character once again appearing in a major blockbuster and to convey to the audience all the uniqueness of his character, his charisma - that I know what should be the true Bane and forget the older films where he was portrayed terribly, to put it mildly. I remember I immediately turned off the TV when I saw it and thought to myself, how good that Chris came up with a different Bane and picked up the third part to shoot himself without giving it to someone else, like it happened with Tim Burton.

Bane is interesting not only in the strength he carries but also in the folds and layers of his mind/psychology. I was very interested in taking on this unique role, and not because it was a chance to once again bring attention to myself in a block buster, but because i truly wanted to convey the unique nuances and characteristics of this character to the audience. I wanted them to see how Bane really should be.

Here is the source: http://www.facebook.com/dark.knight.rises.ru

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome, thanks for posting that Empath.

Apart from the action sequences which I'm sure will be mind blowingly awesome, I can't wait to see the manipulative side of Bane. The prologue gave us a pretty big clue as to how tight a grasp he has on those around him.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is that the NEW trailer? I thought it came out on the 4th!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Wow, Tom's eyes are crazy good. In that scene with the riot in the background, it looks as if Bane wants to start ripping heads off. Catwoman looks to have a very intriguing story arc, as does Bruce!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Yeah that's what I thought too. I guess they didn't figure the fanboys would figure out the clues so quickly. They thought wrong lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    Wow, Tom's eyes are crazy good. In that scene with the riot in the background, it looks as if Bane wants to start ripping heads off. Catwoman looks to have a very intriguing story arc, as does Bruce!
    Bane looks so, so intimidating. You can almost feel the insanity behind his eyes radiating from the screen.

"I'm Gotham's reckoning."
    "Your punishment must be more severe."

GAT DAYUM.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Yeah that's what I thought too. I guess they didn't figure the fanboys would figure out the clues to the scavenger hunt so quickly. They thought wrong lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    Bane looks so, so intimidating. You can almost feel the insanity behind his eyes radiating from the screen.

"I'm Gotham's reckoning."
    "Your punishment must be more severe."

GAT DAYUM.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Gave me the shivers. Looks like one that will be "break the hero into tiny little pieces before putting him back together again".

Sounds good to me!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Just watched the new trailer for the first time (and then again) and...HOLY CRAP! This movie is going to be so intense.

I really haven't been convinced by Bane as "villianous" but I think this trailer convinced me. Blowing up bridges, planes, that cold, emotionless voice--terrifying.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw the 6 minute prologue online some time ago (I'm sorry, I did everything in my power to not succumb to temptation but in the end my attempts were futile) and believe me, any doubts you may have about Bane will dissipate within the first five minutes of the film.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I saw the 6 minute prologue online some time ago (I'm sorry, I did everything in my power to not succumb to temptation but in the end my attempts were futile)

and believe me, any doubts you may have about Bane will dissipate within the first five minutes of the film.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone seen this? I just saw it this morning and was excited to see Baltimore listed, but it doesn't list any exact locations!

The Dark Knight Rises Tumbler Tour
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ok, I have watched Inception

Disclaimer: I totally realize that all the below reflects only my personal flaws, my inherent inability to understand some kinds of films. None of the below is intended to mean that I look down on these films, especially not on my friends' tastes. I really really respect all of the opinions stated in this thread and elsewhere, and in the future I will always try to understand what you like about the films you like. If I failed this time, it does not mean I am going to fail every time. After all, Dogtooth was also recommended by feverish, and it's a movie I loved.

Inception

The film is two and a half hours long, and all these hours I was heroically fighting drowsiness. It took me three sessions to watch, and I nearly dislocated my jaw yawning.

I am sorry, but yes, it was outstandingly, excruciatingly boring.

The aesthetics of the film is that of a commercial clip. I wouldn't wonder if I heard a voice saying, "Now, NEW and IMPROVED", "I'm LOVING it", or "JUST DO IT!": it would fit in perfectly, without breaking the fabric. I hate this type of editing more than anything in movies, so it was the first put-off.

The characters and dialog are both nonexistent; one could argue that they are not really important in such a movie, but that's exactly my [next] main complaint. Worse, to keep some appearances of both characters and dialog, they used all the existing clichés, old and tired. The way everyone (especially Cobb) acts and speaks made me wonder if it wasn't a clever parody. I had to remind myself that Di Caprio can't really be as bad as that - after all, I saw him in The Beach and Total Eclipse, and he actually did some acting, not limiting himself - both here and in Shutter Island - to making generic faces signifying now "sorrow", now "dismay", now "seriousness of the situation".

The story is void of any human constituent. You sure wouldn’t expect me to buy this beaten to death lost-kids thing. It was so poorly executed, with obvious calculation: everyone can relate to this kind of problem, so it can’t help but make the compassionate viewer relate, sympathize and acquire an illusion that some human tragedy is actually present. All that was present is a dishonest exploitation of the theme thousand times developed in thousand films; the callous bears actually howled with laughter when they heard this phone conversation, the kids inquiring of their mummy and Di Caprio making his inevitable sorrowful frown.

The rest of the story is just not interesting. I love dreams and everything connected with them; but there were no dreams here. I fully realize, of course, that introducing any dream-like quality to the visuals would have undermined the main concept.

The story is not developing. At all. Any time you look (I had to fast-forward most of the last quarter or so) it is exactly the same: someone is running on the ceiling, something is collapsing, something is burning, everyone exchanges the same remarks. There is no drama, no conflict, actually, no nothing: only a lot of fuss and special effects. Probably the special effects are real good; I don’t know, neither do I care.

My main problem with all Nolan I’ve seen is of course in full bloom here, too. The story is convoluted without being complex. I’ve already said, and will repeat, since this film confirmed once again what I’ve suspected from the very start: I believe Nolan doesn’t have a story to tell, so he has to conceal this deplorable fact under tons of tricks.

Cinematographically it’s a nonentity. I’ll try to elaborate on this one day in General Movie Discussion thread: I realize that when I say this, people may argue that the visuals are beautiful or the special effects mind-blowing. No, I do not mean the visuals or the SE; I’ll try to make myself clear later. The only truly cinematographic moment in all Nolan (barring some parts of The Prestige, which is in an entirely different league than everything else I’ve seen by him) is that brief sequence in Memento when the guy tries to open the door – but it’s a talk for another day.

One of the most unbearable features of Inception is its atrocious self-importance. It's a film that takes itself very seriously. No giggles, please. If someone can't hear people solemnly say the word "subconscious" without guffawing, he'd better stop watching. (Oh, I would have, but I had promised to make it through...)

The ending, sadly, is stolen from Tarkovsky’s Solaris – verbatim.

The only redeeming feature was that Piaf’s song (her most famous, by the way, and I was very sad when I learned that some people never heard it before and had to google to know what it was). Like the characters, I woke up every time it sounded – only to fall asleep again.

I am sorry for all this, but I’ve never lied to anyone on these boards, nor do I intend to.
    I loved your analysis. I could not figure out why I hated this movie. Intellectually, it was interesting and I actually liked the plot and the ideas. Fundamentally, however, it completely lacked heart. Pure mental masturbation with visually interesting effects. But that is the problem with movies in general for me.

The Prestige on the other hand, I really liked. I could have cared less about the plot twist, I really sympathized with the characters.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It's funny, on both films, that's exactly what Jean thought, beam*seeker. And I will agree that, as much as I really enjoyed Inception, The Prestige is a better film overall. Must watch that again soon.

Though I resent any view that masturbation, mental or otherwise, is necessarily a bad thing.

- Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by beam*seeker View Post
    Fundamentally, however, it completely lacked heart.
    Precisely.

Also: what DD said, minus the enjoying Inception bit.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I still think it's The Prestige that's really overrated.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

why? it's neat and slick and beautiful, it's fun to watch, it's very ingenious and altogether memorable. It's not very moving or deep, a fireworks rather than a mass, but I found it masterful and very likeable in every respect

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to do a rewatch of The Prestige. The scene that sticks with me was where one of the magicians was doing a bullet-catch trick, only to realize that the spectator he'd given the gun to was his rival. It was good and tense.

After Batman, I would love to see Nolan do an original horror film.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I would love to see Nolan try his hand at something that didn't involve guns or violence.

I want to see him tackle a drama with rich, complex characters. Something where his characters aren't just ciphers in his intellectual musings.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I would love to see Nolan try his hand at something that didn't involve guns or violence.

I want to see him tackle a drama with rich, complex characters. Something where his characters aren't just ciphers in his intellectual musings.
    Closest so far was probably Insomnia. At least, the character element was what I really enjoyed in that one, violence or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    ok, I have watched Inception...
    ... (analysis) ...
    I loved your analysis. I could not figure out why I hated this movie. Intellectually, it was interesting and I actually liked the plot and the ideas. Fundamentally, however, it completely lacked heart. Pure mental masturbation with visually interesting effects. But that is the problem with movies in general for me.

The Prestige on the other hand, I really liked. I could have cared less about the plot twist, I really sympathized with the characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    ... I will agree that, as much as I really enjoyed Inception, The Prestige is a better film overall. ...
    Fundamentally, however, it completely lacked heart.
    Precisely.

Also: what DD said, minus the enjoying Inception bit.
    I still think it's The Prestige that's really overrated.
    why? it's neat and slick and beautiful, it's fun to watch, it's very ingenious and altogether memorable. It's not very moving or deep, a fireworks rather than a mass, but I found it masterful and very likeable in every respect
    Yeah. I mean, yes. I still was a little disappointed. Hard to explain. I guess it seem a bit pretentious about just how moving it was supposed to be. Not that it's a bad production, by any means. Just certainly not my personal favorite.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

A lighthearted romantic comedy?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Don't be silly, Brice. It'll be a darkhearted romantic comedy. He is English, after all.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Closest so far was probably Insomnia. At least, the character element was what I really enjoyed in that one, violence or not.
    True. Both Pacino and Williams were great in that. I loved Pacino's character constantly thinking back to the previous murder, and the reoccuring imagery, like the blood soaked fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

A lighthearted romantic comedy?
    ... with guns, ahahahahah

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast