Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Christopher Nolan

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Sounds good to me, feev! Go for it.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

Someone posted this on Facebook and I thought I'd share. Christopher Nolan issued a statement concerning the shootings in Colorado:

Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community. I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime. The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me. Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92774

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the TDKR thread or the thread about the incident itself, but I felt like this was a better place for it. Mods, feel free to move it.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

We have to go deeper ... in time.

----

"Christopher Nolan has picked his next project.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, The Dark Knight Rises director is in talks to direct and produce sci fi flick 'Interstellar' for Paramount and Warner Brothers.The screenplay, written by his regular collaborator and brother Jonathan Nolan, sees a group of explorers travel through a wormhole. Heavily focused on "time travel and alternative dimensions", the story is apparently based on scientific theories by theoretical physicist and gravitational physicist Kip Thorne.

The Reporter states that the ongoing discussions with Nolan have been lengthy and "very complex." If negotiations are successful, Interstellar will be made for Paramount and Warner Bros., where Nolan's Syncopy banner is based.

Steven Spielberg was attached to direct at one point, although Interstellar seems far more suited to the Nolans, who have proven they can handle intricate narratives with previous mindbenders Memento, The Prestige and Inception.

We'll bring you more information on Interstellar as we get it."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...d-intersteller

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Sooooo who's watching Interstellar this weekend!?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Making plans to see it with a couple of mates. Not sure when I'll see it, though.

And that avatar of yours makes the "Soooo" that much funnier! XD
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I don't know too much about it.
    Based on the previews, I am interested.
    Based on the director, multiply that by ten.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Sooooo who's watching Interstellar this weekend!?
    I'll try to see it in 70mm IMAX.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm seeing it tonight in IMAX

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What kind of IMAX?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

70MM.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Soooooo when will the Interstellar discussion thread be started?

I'd love to talk about the film. As soon as I wrap my mind around it.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Soon. Today. NOW.

Going to make a Spoiler thread and then merge it with this one way down the road.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Interstellar discussion **SPOILERS**

Have at it.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, so I have tons of questions and thoughts. Many of them don't have anything to do with the mind-bending ending. Although there are more than a few of those too.

For starters, what year do you guys think the film takes place in? Where is the setting of the film? At one point, they are watching the New York Yankees. It's hinted that they are the actual New York Yankees. Since they are wearing pinstripes, that must mean they are playing at home. Is it possible that the film takes place in a rural section of New York?

I'd also love to know exactly how long Cooper's experience is. I'm talking about the moment he lifts of for space and the moment he enters the 5th dimension.

If you've read my review, you know I really enjoyed Interstellar. The great part of the movie is that even if you didn't like it it provokes so much discussion. A true mark of a memorable film.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Okay, so I have tons of questions and thoughts. Many of them don't have anything to do with the mind-bending ending. Although there are more than a few of those too.

For starters, what year do you guys think the film takes place in? Where is the setting of the film? At one point, they are watching the New York Yankees. It's hinted that they are the actual New York Yankees. Since they are wearing pinstripes, that must mean they are playing at home. Is it possible that the film takes place in a rural section of New York?

I'd also love to know exactly how long Cooper's experience is. I'm talking about the moment he lifts of for space and the moment he enters the 5th dimension.

If you've read my review, you know I really enjoyed Interstellar. The great part of the movie is that even if you didn't like it it provokes so much discussion. A true mark of a memorable film.
    I think it's about 90 years that he is gone based on time given during the film.

I don't think it is NY. The Yankees are called "the World Famous" NY Yankees and I think this means they are just a traveling team that uses the name, sort of like the globe trotters. Using the dust bowl and large rural areas I'd guess they are in the Midwest somewhere. The sign by the space shuttle said NORAD so possibly near Colorado.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post

I think it's about 90 years that he is gone based on time given during the film.

I don't think it is NY. The Yankees are called "the World Famous" NY Yankees and I think this means they are just a traveling team that uses the name, sort of like the globe trotters. Using the dust bowl and large rural areas I'd guess they are in the Midwest somewhere. The sign by the space shuttle said NORAD so possibly near Colorado.
    Good point about the World Famous part. They are probably like a Globe Trotters like you said. That makes sense.

It might be 90 years, but I'm talking about how much time passes for Cooper. Once they get to space they meet up with the Endurance. From there they go into stasis for 2 years. Although I can't remember if it's actually 2 years. Then they visit Miller's planet. They are down there for over an hour their time, but regular time it's over 22 years. I'm still just interested in Cooper's time.

Basically, I'm trying to wrap my mind around how long it is that he's actually experiencing during the film. Besides the time in stasis, I think it's probably only a day or two. Which is crazy because in that time decades are passing on Earth. Crazy shit. Hard to wrap your mind around it.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Gotcha.

Ok so I think it was 18 months to Saturn but I could be wrong. Then the brief time between arriving at Saturn to landing on millers was probably a day or two at most. I think they said 3 hours at some point after waking up at Saturn and before arriving at the wormhole. The one doctor asked for the spinning to be stopped since they were getting close. Then maybe a couple days on Manns, assuming that there was time needed for him (Mann) to reacclimate. So that would be only a few days of being awake plus the 18 months asleep.

Definitely hard to wrap your head around.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen the film yet, but I highly doubt that some "Traveling Team" could obtain permission to utilize "New York Yankees", "World Famous, New York Yankees" (as they are sometimes currently referred to as) or, the trademark pinstripes. All of those things are trademarked/copyrighted and the Yankee organization is pretty particular about allowing folks the rights. Plus they would also probably need permission from MLB as well.

There are plenty of rural areas in upstate N.Y. as well. I know its a work of fiction, but that would seem to be a pretty big blooper in my book. Of course I am biased, but they aren't known as the "World Famous N.Y. Yankees" for nothing. They are also referred to as the "Most storied franchise in sports" rather regularly I also believe the stadium itself is referred to as "World Famous".

Just trying to help. FWIW this thread has ramped up my interest in the film.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

When you see the film bill you'll understand. The world has had a borderline apocalyptic event(s) which have led to a different world then ours. I don't think the MLB exists anymore in the movies universe. Based on the characters comments regarding baseball the teams are just amateurs playing purely for entertainment purposes and probably for nostalgias sake.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

My impression was that the trip through the wormhole only took a few days. It took them two years or so to get to it, but once they entered and started exploring, it was only a matter of days until Cooper sent Brand on her way and he went into the black hole.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I haven't seen the film yet, but I highly doubt that some "Traveling Team" could obtain permission to utilize "New York Yankees", "World Famous, New York Yankees" (as they are sometimes currently referred to as) or, the trademark pinstripes. All of those things are trademarked/copyrighted and the Yankee organization is pretty particular about allowing folks the rights. Plus they would also probably need permission from MLB as well.

There are plenty of rural areas in upstate N.Y. as well. I know its a work of fiction, but that would seem to be a pretty big blooper in my book. Of course I am biased, but they aren't known as the "World Famous N.Y. Yankees" for nothing. They are also referred to as the "Most storied franchise in sports" rather regularly I also believe the stadium itself is referred to as "World Famous".

Just trying to help. FWIW this thread has ramped up my interest in the film.
    You'll see what we mean when you watch the film. The movie takes place 75 or so years in the future. Luxuries like professional sports are a thing of the past. The people who live in this world are wholly consumed with the production of food and just surviving as long as possible.

I'm with Bev and Joe on the timeline. I'm glad we are of the same thinking. This is the kind of film that needs to be seen at least twice.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Of course I am biased, but they aren't known as the "World Famous N.Y. Yankees" for nothing.
    Never heard of them.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

For starters, what year do you guys think the film takes place in?
    Tough to tell. 'Near future' is the best guess I can give. TARS is a standard issue military robot, and we're still a long way from something like that existing. 2030? Just a stab in the dark.

I'd love to know this too. At some point in the film I gave up trying to keep track of time because of the relativity of it all. That's something I plan to pay close attention to when I see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    When you see the film bill you'll understand. The world has had a borderline apocalyptic event(s) which have led to a different world then ours. I don't think the MLB exists anymore in the movies universe. Based on the characters comments regarding baseball the teams are just amateurs playing purely for entertainment purposes and probably for nostalgias sake.
    That's what I took from it too.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My question: what did they all do for food? Even if they were able to locate a new planet, shouldn't that planet already have food and resources there to sustain the population?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    My question: what did they all do for food? Even if they were able to locate a new planet, shouldn't that planet already have food and resources there to sustain the population?
    I think that was the idea and why Mann, Miller, and Edmunds spread out. Obviously Mann got scared and lied about his planet to get rescued, Miller died upon landing and her data was misread, and edmunds died as well so it's unclear if he wanted to be rescued like Mann or the data was bad like Millers.

The status of the the other astronauts wasn't mentioned but it was said that those three planets had the best chance for human survival.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast