Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christopher Nolan

16 50.00%
  • Steven Spielberg

16 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: TDGT - Round 3 - Christopher Nolan vs Steven Spielberg

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I was completely unimpressed with The Dark Knight or Batman Begins......I much more enjoyed the first two Burton films.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Nicholson in Batman was just playing Nicholson with make-up. Even at the pinnacle of his powers in Batman, in the back of your mind you're still imagining him as simply Nicholson with a coat of paint splashed on. Ledger completely lost himself in his role, there isn't a single trace of him anywhere. If you didn't know before hand that Ledger was cast in the role of the Joker, would you have known it was him in TDK ? He was able to switch from manipulative, to psychotic, to a demented sort of cheerful, with perfect ease and in the blink of eye. It will be a long time before we get a performance of that magnitude from any actor.
    Slightly off topic feev, but you have to watch Stephen Graham's performance as Combo in This Is England to see a performance that matches the magnitude of Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker. To say "he plays a racist" doesn't do it justice: you get one of the most complex performances that you're ever going to see on film. One moment he could be in some crude way seem like a nice person to hang out with, one who's fair and apologises if he feels he's done wrong, but the next moment he could be ready to smash you to a pulp if you say the wrong thing. One truly amazing moment is you don't see him suddenly go from cool to being in a total rage: you actually see the rage slowly but surely building up in his eyes, and you know what's going to happen. To make that kind of emotional range totally believeable is a testament to Stephen Graham as an actor.

Sorry I just went off topic there, I just felt I should make the point that I truly believe there are amazing and varied performances out there to match and possibly outdo Ledger's portrayal as the Joker. Not saying that he wasn't one of the best ones out there, but there are other performances in film that can't be ignored.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Nolan
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Nolan

- Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Certainly not, but when you take into account that the films have also been showered with praise by critics as well as the general audience, and have received countless awards in virtually all facets of film making - technical areas, best actor awards, choreography, cinematography etc.- then it brings into sharper focuses why he's such a highly regarded director.
    Again, Spielberg is a good director but his films lack individuality. You can't credit a director for the writing in a movie he didn't write; you can only look at the direction. And Spielberg's direction isn't different or special, but he's always given credit for it. A lot of it has to do with the strength of the screenplays that he agrees to direct for.

Going back to my music analogy, there is a metalcore band from New Haven (where I'm from) called Hatebreed who have been playing together for about 10 years. Only recently have they gotten critical acclaim and have been recognized as a good metalcore band. However, there are dozens of other bands who have that generic Black Sabbath/Dio sound, so they are given the critical acclaim. Now, are these bands better than Hatebreed? No, they aren't. In most cases, they aren't anywhere near as good or technical as Hatebreed. But these bands got lucky and hit it big earlier than Hatebreed, so they get the attention.

It's the same way with directors: you either get lucky and hit it big or you don't. Spielberg got lucky and hit it big early on. My point is that there are dozens of other directors out there whose movies look and feel exactly the same as Spielberg but aren't given credit because they hit it big after him. You can't say the same of Nolan.

No he didn't, but the only film that Nolan wrote by himself is Inception, his latest film , his earlier films have been written largely by other individuals ... does that mean that the success of his earlier films are due mainly to the writing capabilities of other people, and not his own prowess as a director ?
    Going back to the Big Three: as you already said, Inception was written by him; The Prestige screenplay was written by him, although he got the inspiration from a short story his brother wrote; and Memento was based off a book but he wrote the screenplay himself with some editing done by his brother (the same one who wrote the short story before The Prestige). So yes, he did write all of his screenplays by himself. And, as such, his direction in the movies was that much better.

Hey, at least we can agree on this !
    Definitely! Anyone who enjoys Ledger's Joker is fine by me
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Spielberg
    somehow, I didn't expect this...

More Nolan votes, anyone? This is much too close for comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Spielberg
    somehow, I didn't expect this...

More Nolan votes, anyone? This is much too close for comfort.
    Me too.
    Aww!

Five or ten years from now Nolan might have enough great films to make a comparison, but for me he's just not there. I mean I've really enjoyed what films I've seen by him, but I do like a lot of Spielberg's too.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I have to agree with the comments on The Dark Knight being nothing more than a blockbuster. To me, it doesn't even come close to being art. You all know how I feel about it, I think, so I'll not get into it here, but really ... with the exception of Heath Ledger's performance, it's just a big loud movie.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I have to agree with the comments on The Dark Knight being nothing more than a blockbuster. To me, it doesn't even come close to being art. You all know how I feel about it, I think, so I'll not get into it here, but really ... with the exception of Heath Ledger's performance, it's just a big loud movie.
    Hear, hear!

And Batman Begins was a mess. Burton's Batmans were much much better, dark and gothic like they should be.

Spielberg, on the other hand, has made dozens of verifiable masterpieces. His name alone lends credibility to any project in most people's minds. Nolan, while a very good young director, is not there yet. It seems as though he may, as his career goes on, get to the level of the Spielbergs, Scorseses, Scotts, et al - but like I said, he's not there yet.

Vote Spielberg!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    You can't credit a director for the writing in a movie he didn't write; you can only look at the direction.
    Uhh, I'm not giving any director writing credit when they don't deserve it ... you're the one that keeps bringing up the writing dude

The thing is that being a good writer does not necessarily make you a good director. Look at Shyamalan (who was labeled as 'the next Spielberg', ironically enough) - started off great, had a lot of ideas that he wrote down and transformed into films, but unfortunately those films bombed because he was not able to faithfully recreate the magic of the story in the written word into it's intended format, the visual medium. So he's presumably learning from his lesson now and only writing the scripts, and leaving the directorial duties in more capable hands. Being able to take a good script and transform it into a coherent, compelling sequence of images is part of what makes a good director, and Spielberg has that in spades.

And Spielberg's direction isn't different or special, but he's always given credit for it. A lot of it has to do with the strength of the screenplays that he agrees to direct for.
    Spielberg has a great artistic vision, and excellent story telling methods. Saying that the only reason his films have any sort of impact is because of the projects he chooses is like saying the only reason Nolan's Batman films are so well regarded are because Batman is a well established character, and not because of Nolan's abilities as a director.

Schindler's List is a very powerful film because it's a story that Spielberg wanted to tell , knew how he wanted to tell it, and was invested in it emotionally -presumably because of his heritage/lineage. The film wouldn't have been been half as memorable if any other director had taken the reigns. Same goes for Nolan and the Batman films. He was invested in the character and his origins, knew how he wanted to tell it, and set it out to do in precisely that method.

The fact that The Dark Knight resonated so strongly with so many groups of people is a strong indication that it's a genuine work of art. It's more than just a 'big loud movie', it's rich with subtext and touches on various themes that can be related to in a human way and is applicable to our every day world - obsession, duality, terrorism (and everything that this term encompasses), large scale cover ups, invasion of privacy, the blurry and often invisible line between good and evil, etc. To say that this film is nothing more than a blockbuster seems like willful naivety to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    [
    And Batman Begins was a mess. Burton's Batmans were much much better, dark and gothic like they should be.
    You mean, the same gothic world populated by lackeys that wear sunglasses and purple jackets , a villain that escapes on a 10 foot rubber ducky, or a flock of penguins marching down a street with missiles strapped to their back ?

What makes Nolan's Batman universe so unique is that he didn't create a world for these characters to exist, he made us believe that they could exist in our world.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

What makes Nolan's Batman universe so unique is that he didn't create a world for these characters to exist, he made us believe that they could exist in our world.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You mean, the same gothic world populated by lackeys that wear sunglasses and purple jackets , a villain that escapes on a 10 foot rubber ducky, or a flock of penguins marching down a street with missiles strapped to their back ?

Is there something wrong with that? Burton's Batmans were fun to watch. They were visually interesting. They had amazing scores, some of the best scores ever recorded, in my humble opinion. They worked precisely because they didn't take in our world. Making Batman realistic was an interesting touch, but for me Nolan's Batmans were not as exciting. Yes, Ledger's Joker was astonishing, but that's just a piece of the puzzle. Everything else was kinda a mess, again.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Is there something wrong with that?
    I'll pretend that this is a rhetorical question.

Burton's Batmans were fun to watch. They were visually interesting.
    So were Nolan's.

They had amazing scores, some of the best scores ever recorded, in my humble opinion.
    Yeah, Prince's happy go lucky song Trust went beautifully with Burton's dark, gothic world

They worked precisely because they didn't take in our world. Making Batman realistic was an interesting touch, but for me Nolan's Batmans were not as exciting.
    The opposite is true for me. Grounding the Batman universe as close to reality as possible make them a more compelling set of films to watch than Burton's renditions.

Yes, Ledger's Joker was astonishing, but that's just a piece of the puzzle. Everything else was kinda a mess, again.
    You keep saying "it's a mess, it's a mess". How is it a mess , exactly ?

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Nolan's Batman films are the only legitimate adaptation of what made the comics so great.

I honestly was not interested at all by Burton's Batman.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Feev, I love and respect you, my friend, but we will have to agree to disagree on The Dark Knight. We see it in very different lights and textures.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Feev, I love and respect you, my friend, but we will have to agree to disagree on The Dark Knight. We see it in very different lights and textures.
    Ditto.

I'd rather not get into this Burton vs. Nolan discussion. It's all subjective, isn't it? To me, Burton's style spoke a lot more than did Nolan's. Yes, even the Prince songs. In fact, thanks for reminding me, I'll put the Prince album on now But I meant Elfman's scores.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Fair enough

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Also, the Batman soundtrack LP can clearly come in useful, especially when you need weapons to use against zombies!

- Melike

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Country
    Country Flag

Uhh, I'm not giving any director writing credit when they don't deserve it ... you're the one that keeps bringing up the writing dude
    I can see where my argument might be a bit confusing; I'm not always the best at articulating everything as we've found out

What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't judge an entire film by Spielberg (say Jurassic Park or Schindler's List) against an entire film by Nolan. Someone may have enjoyed Spielberg movies more than Nolan movies, but that doesn't make Spielberg a better director. A lot of what I've been seeing in these threads are people voting for their favorite movies without actually taking into account the jobs/responsibilities the directors held over the film. It's the prerogative of the voter to choose the person they feel is the winner, but the discussions seem to go a bit off-topic and end up discussing film generalizations and not director specifics (which I, too, have been guilty of thus far and probably later in this same post).

Spielberg has a great artistic vision, and excellent story telling methods. Saying that the only reason his films have any sort of impact is because of the projects he chooses is like saying the only reason Nolan's Batman films are so well regarded are because Batman is a well established character, and not because of Nolan's abilities as a director.
    I'm not saying that his films only have impact because of the script. What I was saying was that the only reason Spielberg is given more credit than other directors of the same style is because of the films he has signed on to. You can't find a director with the same style as Nolan, but Spielberg-esque directors are a dime-a-dozen. The only difference between Spielberg and the Spielberg-esque directors are the notoriety, which comes from being put on big-budget blockbuster films. By no means am I diminishing Spielberg's abilities as a director; I'm trying to elevate Nolan to a level close to (or, dare I say, above) Spielberg because he is unique, talented, and has not been given the notoriety he deserves for his individualism.

Schindler's List is a very powerful film because it's a story that Spielberg wanted to tell , knew how he wanted to tell it, and was invested in it emotionally -presumably because of his heritage/lineage. The film wouldn't have been been half as memorable if any other director had taken the reigns. Same goes for Nolan and the Batman films. He was invested in the character and his origins, knew how he wanted to tell it, and set it out to do in precisely that method.
    But that's my point: Spielberg's style of direction is generic. He was emotionally invested in it, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that dozens of other novice directors have the exact same style and directorial habits as he does. Granted, the acting was superb; I'm not sure any other director could have gotten such a realistic performance out of his cast in that aspect.

The fact that The Dark Knight resonated so strongly with so many groups of people is a strong indication that it's a genuine work of art. It's more than just a 'big loud movie', it's rich with subtext and touches on various themes that can be related to in a human way and is applicable to our every day world - obsession, duality, terrorism (and everything that this term encompasses), large scale cover ups, invasion of privacy, the blurry and often invisible line between good and evil, etc. To say that this film is nothing more than a blockbuster seems like willful naivety to me.
    I would put it on a lower level than the Big Three, but I certainly agree with you that The Dark Knight can be likened to a work of art. The direction is obviously what we should be discussing, not the movies in their entirety, and the direction of The Dark Knight is nearly flawless. I never saw a single camera shot/angle, lighting decision, costume choice, or prop/setting choice that didn't fully immerse me in the film.

I couldn't agree more with you on this one, feev. I loved how he was able to bring all of the characters in with a sense of "reality" into a world we already knew and could empathize with. As I've said, Ledger's portrayal of the Joker stuck with me because of the realism I felt emanating from the character.

Country
    Country Flag

Our posts are getting so long, feev!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A lot of what I've been seeing in these threads are people voting for their favorite movies without actually taking into account the jobs/responsibilities the directors held over the film.
    This.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Is there something wrong with that? Burton's Batmans were fun to watch. They were visually interesting. They had amazing scores, some of the best scores ever recorded, in my humble opinion. They worked precisely because they didn't take in our world. Making Batman realistic was an interesting touch, but for me Nolan's Batmans were not as exciting. Yes, Ledger's Joker was astonishing, but that's just a piece of the puzzle. Everything else was kinda a mess, again.
    This is precisely why I prefer Burton's Batman films. I prefer movies with graphic heritage to look that way. I want to be immersed in the fantasy. I want the villains to be larger than life, and the heroes even greater. I don't want Batman to be the guy that lives around the block. And, as far as the gothic appeal of Burton's Batman, I think that this is referring to the gothic appeal of most of his movies. From the color schemes of his cinematography (the drab blues, purple and other dark colors of so many of his movies), the architecture of his buildings, the fact that it was almost perpetually night in the movies, the music. It FELT like a comic book (excuse me graphic novel) which is what I WANT from this type of movie.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

A lot of what I've been seeing in these threads are people voting for their favorite movies without actually taking into account the jobs/responsibilities the directors held over the film.
    This.
    Well, inevitably it seems best almost always degrades to favorite in these things.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh snaps, we're tied !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast