Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tim Burton

14 50.00%
  • Stanley Kubrick

14 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: TGDT - Round 2 - Tim Burton vs Stanley Kubrick

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Glad I stayed out of this round! I've seen a fair few Burton movies, and whilst he has a nice visual, gothic style to his work, he's recently shown himself to be a bit hit and miss. Especially with Alice in Wonderland - the family enjoyed it, and I liked it for that much, but it was far from being a classic adaptation, and if I had watched it on my own, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it much at all.

Now, Kubrick, I've only watched a couple of films of, including The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange. Now, A Clockwork Orange...sorry, I just didn't get it. I know it's a classic 'n all, but it just didn't work for me. The Shining? I liked it, but it's not one of my favourite horror films. It's a very strange, very visual film. Enjoyable, but I much prefer the original novel.

Now, Full Metal Jacket: now that's what I'm talking about! I'm not an avid fan of war movies, but I do enjoy the ones that show the darker side of it (I remember enjoying a remake of All Quiet on the Western Front in school, and I really, really loved watching it), and they don't come much darker than this, do they? No one else could've directed this movie other than Kubrick, I think.

But it was still too difficult for me to decide between Burton and Kubrick. It might have something to do with me enjoying Burton's films back in childhood, especially Batman: the gothic, moody atmosphere of that adaptation mixed in with the dark humour really appealed to me both as a kid and as an adult who loves that kind of style, so whilst it might not be one of my favourite comic adaptations ever (that'll very probably be the Dark Knight or Scott Pilgrim vs The World), it certainly comes pretty close!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Burton didn't direct The Nightmare Before Christmas.

And you want me to provide original scripts with the assumption that I agree with your sentiment that better script writer = better director, which I don't. Since film is a visual medium, I give credit to those directors that are able to convey radical emotion through the use of powerful imagery. In that regard, Kubrick is leagues ahead of Burton.
    He wrote it and took over all directorial power, he just wasn't the one who moved around the characters in the stop-motion process. The person who did that was given the title of "director". Just like Tim Burton wasn't given credit for writing it, either, even though it was based off of a poem he wrote and he basically wrote the entire screen-play. But because he was doing so much on the project already, they gave all final say in the script to a different person and then listed that man as "writer" even though he didn't write it.

So yes, Tim Burton did produce, write, and direct Nightmare; he just wasn't given official credit because of a few responsibilities he delegated to other people.

I'd like to know why you believe that Kubrick is leagues ahead of Burton in the ability to convey radical emotion, but what you're really arguing here is that you believe Kubrick works with heavier subject matter. Kubrick isn't able to write scripts that convey large amounts of emotion; the only scripts he writes that convey large amounts of emotion are adaptations from other sources, which, most of the time, are objected to by the author of the original sources (Stephen King hates Kubrick and his version of The Shining, from what I've heard).

Burton, on the other hand, doesn't usually go for radical emotional content, but when he does it works. I would like to see Kubrick try to do a work such as Edward Scissorhands; something that is so outrageous in its plot, characters, settings, and overall color scheme while being available to children and adults alike while still conveying separate emotions and themes to every age group that watches it. Edward Scissorhands is a piece of artwork that Kubrick will never be able to get anywhere close to.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Country
    Country Flag

I texted her in the morning to let her know what was going on, but I guess she didn't get it in time ...
    Yeah, this tie breaker was a pretty big gyp. Instead of arguing who is actually better, the only perimeter to win this round was to see which fans signed on first. Kubrick won fair and square, so by all means put him in the next round. But still, this tie breaker was kind of rigged (the first vote was made by the person who decided on the tie breaker, which gave their favorite an automatic advantage).

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Christ, give me a fucking break.

The poll ended in a tie. The posts in favor ended in a tie. What do you want me to do, flip a coin and post it on youtube ?

I implemented the one hour time cushion for precisely that reason, so that there wouldn't be an unfair advantage. Is it my fault none of the Burton supporters were around at that time ? If the situation was flipped upside down so that all of the Burton and none of the Kubrick supporters were online in the morning would you still be singing the same tune ?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

We should do a best screenwriter contest!

To be fair, I do think it's possible that Lewis Carroll spun once or twice in his grave.

I hope that Burton will try hard to again get better focus in the future.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    I texted her in the morning to let her know what was going on, but I guess she didn't get it in time ...
    Yeah, this tie breaker was a pretty big gyp. Instead of arguing who is actually better, the only perimeter to win this round was to see which fans signed on first. Kubrick won fair and square, so by all means put him in the next round. But still, this tie breaker was kind of rigged (the first vote was made by the person who decided on the tie breaker, which gave their favorite an automatic advantage).
    Dude. Come on. We've done tons of comparison and arguing about who was better. This whole thread is a discussion on them as filmmakers. Did you want everyone to re-post their opinions?!?

Nothing was rigged, and honestly, it's damn offensive that you even said that. I think you owe Feev an apology, man. This whole poll structure and voting and the brackets - it's a hell of a lot of work.

Using your logic, even if another poll was put up - it's always who has happened to login before the poll ends. That's the very nature of a poll.

I wonder if you'd have the same objection if Burton had won?
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's the thing, SynysterSaint: if it's important to you, you'll log your ass in and VOTE.

Seems to me that happened.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

My friend I'll tell you honestly and transparently what happened here is we weren't really expecting a tie on these. In fact though this is my forum also, Feev has almost single-handedly run all such competitions and done so with finesse...devoting countless hours to make it fun for all. Well, when it did result in an unexpected tie we were left with a last minute judgement call to make. If you disagree with the decision which was made that's fine. That is your right and perhaps given time we could have come up with a better decision.

Now on to my non-mod personal opinion: Feev is one of the most honorable, honest, and caring people I know. I'll thank you now in advance for being decent enough to keep any smears against his character to yourself.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's cool, Brice, just leave me your log in password and I'll make sure to log in and vote for ... Burton ... yes, I'll vote for Burton ... I'll help you vote for Burton ... Oh how the helping shall be dispensed!

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I wonder if you'd have the same objection if Burton had won?
    I would have objected. After I read everyone's posts, I guess it really was the only way to go about it, though. I did, after all, say that Kubrick won fair and square, did I not?

I'm sorry if I made you upset, feev. I do understand that it takes a lot of work to do the polls and set all of this up, and I do thankee for it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Now on to my non-mod personal opinion: Feev is one of the most honorable, honest, and caring people I know. I'll thank you now in advance for being decent enough to keep any smears against his character to yourself.
    I never meant for anything I said to come across as derogatory towards feev or his character; he and I have had many, many intelligent and civil conversations. I have no reason to speak ill of him. My points were against the tie-breaker itself, not at all against him. You should know me better than that, Brice. If I sincerely believed that anything I said could or would be misinterpreted against any member in this thread, I wouldn't have said it.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

No worries, Synyster ... water under the bridge and all that jazz.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Feev is one of the most honorable, honest, and caring people I know.
    Hear, hear.

Burton, on the other hand, doesn't usually go for radical emotional content, but when he does it works. I would like to see Kubrick try to do a work such as Edward Scissorhands; something that is so outrageous in its plot, characters, settings, and overall color scheme while being available to children and adults alike while still conveying separate emotions and themes to every age group that watches it. Edward Scissorhands is a piece of artwork that Kubrick will never be able to get anywhere close to.
    Bears agree with this, by the way...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Not to mention Big Fish. How would that have turned out under Kubrick?

I cannot stay aware of all that goes on on this site 24/7. I've got a life. Who would care THAT much about something like this contest? Oh, right, I forgot: Stanley Kubrick fans.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

no, not only - bears care a lot

bears recently realized that movies meant more to them than they had thought

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Twice as good ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    bears recently realized that movies meant more to them than they had thought
    Posts like these are just one of the many reasons I love hosting these kind of tournaments.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I never meant for anything I said to come across as derogatory towards feev or his character; he and I have had many, many intelligent and civil conversation. I have no reason to speak ill of him. My points were against the tie-breaker itself, not at all against him. You should know me better than that, Brice. If I sincerely believed that anything I said could or would be misinterpreted against any member in this thread, I wouldn't have said it.
    Yeah, I should have realized that and I'm sorry for any misunderstanding, but your saying it was rigged was kind of what made me think what I did. I'm sure in this instance it was just a matter of a perhaps poor choice of words and someone's habit of being overly zealous in defense of his friends.

I sincerely hope this can all be behind us.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I cannot stay aware of all that goes on on this site 24/7. I've got a life. Who would care THAT much about something like this contest? Oh, right, I forgot: Stanley Kubrick fans.
    no, not only - bears care a lot
    Lame attempt at humor. Sorry.
    Twice as good ?!
    As if.

Country
    Country Flag

I was being serious!

::indignant::

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I was being serious!

::indignant::
    ... Right... I said I was sorry.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I should have realized that and I'm sorry for any misunderstanding, but your saying it was rigged was kind of what made me think what I did. I'm sure in this instance it was just a matter of a perhaps poor choice of words and someone's habit of being overly zealous in defense of his friends.

I sincerely hope this can all be behind us.
    How can I fault you for coming to the defense of a friend you thought was being slandered? Nothing you said in defense of feev was taken personally, Brice, and there's absolutely no need to apologize. I'm still sorry what I said was misinterpreted; I take full responsibility for not making my position clear in my post You know I couldn't be mad at you (or pretty much anyone else here) even if I tried.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

SS ...
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    SS ...
    Always

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

the above posts fill bears' hearts with joy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5