Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tim Burton

14 50.00%
  • Stanley Kubrick

14 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Round 2 - Tim Burton vs Stanley Kubrick

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default TGDT - Round 2 - Tim Burton vs Stanley Kubrick

Tim Burton's IMDB Page
    Notable films: Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Big Fish, Corpse Bride, Alice in Wonderland

Stanley Kubrick's IMDB Page

Notable Films: A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Dr. Strangelove , Full Metal Jacket, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Stanley Kubrick. A true auteur, and one of the greatest film makers of all time.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Burton
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Burton

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Stanley Kubrick. A true auteur, and one of the greatest film makers of all time.
    Right.

Kubrick.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love Tim, I really do, but if the Final is not Hitchcock vs. Kubrick, y'all don't know fucking movies

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I disagree with you. I hate to say it (and I really do hate to say this) but I have never enjoyed a single Kubrick film. I really liked the first half of Full Metal Jacket, and then there was the rest of the movie. I don't think he has really contributed much to the film industry as a whole, though he HAS created some very memorable characters like HAL, R. Lee Ermey's drill instructor (thought I don't think that was a "character", I think that was Ermey himself), and Alex. I don't believe he gave us much more than that though. Of course that's my opinion.

My vote goes to Burton...
    obviously.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I love Tim, I really do, but if the Final is not Hitchcock vs. Kubrick, y'all don't know fucking movies
    Hey, hey, hey, hey, HEY!!!

I'll go to my grave saying Kurosawa should be in AND WIN the finals.

Hitchcock my achin' ass
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, there are three people bears consider the greatest directors of all times, and none of them is Kubrick. I still consider him a brilliant director - even though I didn't really love any of his movies. (That's why we have different Oscar nominations for "best film" and "best director", by the way)

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I disagree with you. I hate to say it (and I really do hate to say this) but I have never enjoyed a single Kubrick film. I really liked the first half of Full Metal Jacket, and then there was the rest of the movie. I don't think he has really contributed much to the film industry as a whole...
    I can understand you not liking his films, but to say that he hasn't contributed much to the industry as a whole ... I'm sorry Sam, but that's just naive.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I disagree with you. I hate to say it (and I really do hate to say this) but I have never enjoyed a single Kubrick film. I really liked the first half of Full Metal Jacket, and then there was the rest of the movie. I don't think he has really contributed much to the film industry as a whole, though he HAS created some very memorable characters like HAL, R. Lee Ermey's drill instructor (thought I don't think that was a "character", I think that was Ermey himself), and Alex. I don't believe he gave us much more than that though. Of course that's my opinion.

obviously.
    Of course you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and these polls are nothing but an exercise of opinions, but speaking objectively, how can you say that you "don't think he has really contributed much to the film industry as a whole" - that's just plain wrong and not a matter of opinion.

The AFI lists four Kubrick films in its 100 Greatest Films list, with "2001" at #15. Here's a nice overview of Kubrick's impact on cinema: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubrick#Legacy

My personal favorite of his though is "Barry Lyndon". It's an astonishing masterpiece.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Stanley Kubrick is a wizard. I've never seen a film of his that's failed to astonish me.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    Stanley Kubrick is a wizard. I've never seen a film of his that's failed to astonish me.
    This is true. On the other hand, I've never seen a film of his that has touched me deeply on emotional level; or, more exactly, had something to do with my heart. That's why I like and respect him, but have never loved him.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

obviously.
    I have to agree. On the other hand, I don't think I've seen a Burton film I didn't like.

So my vote obviously goes for Mr. Burton.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

This is true. On the other hand, I've never seen a film of his that has touched me deeply on emotional level; or, more exactly, had something to do with my heart. That's why I like and respect him, but have never loved him.
    I agree with you completely. However, I can say the same for Burton, and his films have never impressed me nearly as much as Kubrick's on a visual/intellectual level.

Country
    Country Flag

well, I liked Edward Scissorhands

but I voted for Kubrick

Country
    Country Flag

Burton's best is probably the two Batman films.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Big Fish, Sleepy Hollow, Edward Scissorhands - one of those three is Burton's best film. Haven't decided which yet ...

Edward Scissorhands

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd say Big Fish is Burton's best.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I'm with Seymour on Burton's best.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

My vote went to Burton even though Full Metal Jacket might make my top ten movie list.Tough one but the edge goes to Tim Burton.

Country
    Country Flag

I disagree with you. I hate to say it (and I really do hate to say this) but I have never enjoyed a single Kubrick film. I really liked the first half of Full Metal Jacket, and then there was the rest of the movie.
    Hm, weird, cause for me the the second part of the film was way better. But it's an amazing film altogether.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast