Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: British film recommendations

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I highly recomend In Bruges too (as long as you're not offended by lots of swearing). Strictly speaking it's a British/Irish film rather than just straight British, and it's set mostly in Bruges, Belgium, as the name suggests (a beutiful city by the way. I've been there.) It can be hilariously funny at one moment then heart-wrenching the next. A great film.

EDIT- Oh, I should warn you, Americans and Canadians aren't portrayed very well, if you're offended by that. It's mainly specific characters rather than North Americans as a whole, and it's done to comedy affect, so I think most of you would see the funny side.
    i loved in Bruges, one of my favourite filmes

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I loved it! Nothing to do with Colin Farrell

Erin Have you seen Snatch? That's even harder to follow accent wise!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Erin Have you seen Snatch? That's even harder to follow accent wise!
    True story : Brad Pitt was originally set to play a British gangster in Snatch, but since his English 'accent' was indecipherable, Ritchie decided to rewrite the role and have him play a quick talking 'Pikey' instead. The bits in the film where characters ask each other what he just said are winks to the audience as to what really happened

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Have you ever seen Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels? My sister and I watched that awhile back and had to stop halfway because we could not for the life of us understand what they were saying. I mean, they're speaking English but it may have as well been in Chinese for all I got out of it.
    That's what subtitles are for! (They even used them during a particular rhyming slang bit when Danny John Jules is on scene.) I love Lock Stock...

I highly recomend In Bruges too (as long as you're not offended by lots of swearing). Strictly speaking it's a British/Irish film rather than just straight British, and it's set mostly in Bruges, Belgium, as the name suggests (a beutiful city by the way. I've been there.) It can be hilariously funny at one moment then heart-wrenching the next. A great film.

EDIT- Oh, I should warn you, Americans and Canadians aren't portrayed very well, if you're offended by that. It's mainly specific characters rather than North Americans as a whole, and it's done to comedy affect, so I think most of you would see the funny side.
    I'll have to check it out! Pretty much nothing offends me, so I'm fine on that front.

And I have seen Snatch and loved it! That was easier for me to understand for some reason. Brad Pitt was awesome in it.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love the British scifi movies of the 60's! "Quatermass & the Pit" (also called "5 Million Miles To Earth") is one that is top notch and surprisingly scary! "The Day of the Triffids" is a fun romp as is "First Men in the Moon". My fave of this genre is "The Lost Continent" from 1968. It has giant crabs, man-eating seaweed and The Inquisition (no one expected that!!!).

Traveler ziesha is on a distinguished road

Beastly , The Lincoln Lawyer , Battle Los Angeles are good examples of British films

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by ziesha View Post
    Beastly , The Lincoln Lawyer , Battle Los Angeles are good examples of British films
    Considering those are all American films, i find that a little hard to believe, unless you're joking of course.

I haven't seen that many British films recently. Hell, i haven't even seen The King's Speech yet! I know, I know, considering the rave reviews that film has got, that's something I need to correct asap!

All i know of Snatch btw is it's got that bloke who swears in everything he does playing Brick Top. I probably know at least half his lines by now due to seeing Brick Vader in Snatch Wars on youtube! Funniest mash-up I've ever seen!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

You haven't seen Snatch?! That's one you have to check out right away. Lock, Stock... and Revolver are my other two favorite Ritchie films.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice sullivan19 is on a distinguished road sullivan19's Avatar

My Mood
    Asleep
    Country
    Country Flag

Long Good Friday is good, Bob Hoskins as a nasty gangster! The filmography of the Krays is good too.

And they are filming Cockneys vs Zombies right now! They was out on the river just yesterday doing a scene!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    You haven't seen Snatch?! That's one you have to check out right away. Lock, Stock... and Revolver are my other two favorite Ritchie films.
    have just realized that I haven't seen Snatch, either. And I love Lock, Stock etc.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked the squeaky dog.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    have just realized that I haven't seen Snatch, either. And I love Lock, Stock etc.

Snatch is even better. Really, one of the best films of that whole genre.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

great, another title on my watching list... Mike, where the f**k are you anyway?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2