Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • David Cronenberg

10 34.48%
  • Ridley Scott

19 65.52%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Round 2 - David Cronenberg vs Ridley Scott

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I have to admit, A History of Violence is definitely one of those movies I have to see! A good adaptation of a graphic novel by John Wagner? Fuck yeah!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Have you not seen it DD?!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nope, and I haven't read the comic either, since that's pretty hard to find, but I'm just a big fan of John Wagner's stuff, especially Judge Dredd, where the violence, moral themes and dark humour make the stories so much better than just the premise of a future cop, so it's one I do need to check out, methinks.

To be honest, I think one reason I haven't seen it is that I haven't seen much of Cronenburg's work other than Scanners, and...that really left me unimpressed. Idk, maybe there was just too much hype for it, maybe I just didn't "get" it, but it wasn't for me, really.

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

You have to watch it! It's probably my favorite Cronenberg film. And don't let your dislike of Scanners steer you away from watching it because they couldn't be more different from each other.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

What Heather said

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Argh, you guys are really making me hate my lack of employment right about now, otherwise I'd just order the dvd right away!

- Melike

Can't you rent it?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I can't even afford that much right now, Heather, and even if I could, there's fuck all renting places around here now anyway. Besides, I could get it for 4 quid off Amazon, so I might as well just buy it anyway!

- Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll lend it to ya lol
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I think you guys are just gonna have to deal with the fact that it'll be another whole week at least before I see this movie!

(Although 4 quid is pretty cheap... )

- Melike

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Mattrick - Do yourself a favor and rent/buy the Director's Cut of Blade Runner. Amazing.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

What Pam said, and then make sure to see it again right afterwards. I've seen every version of Blade Runner, and whilst the theatrical cut was ok, it was butchered heavily with an unnecessary narration by Harrison Ford and an even more unnecessary "happy ending" that the studio decided to tack on. The director's cut? One of my favourite films ever. Surreal, gorgeous to this day, and so dense and multi-layered it took me 3 viewings before I finally decided how much I enjoyed it. That's the kind of film it is.

- Melike

Would it shock you guys if I told you I've never seen Blade Runner

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Isn't there like 8 versions of the directors cut for Blade Runner? I know there was a new cut re-released in theatres a little while ago. I saw the second half of the film in English class but missed the rest. We watched it due to the symbolsm, which no one else could figure out. Like the origami, the class was dumbfounded lol.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Gay

Not shocked, but we'd certainly encourage you to check it out, Heather!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Not in the slightest, Heather. It's definitely more of a cult film which people either don't quite get, or are completely obsessed with it: there's nothing halfway about it. Obviously, I highly recommend seeing it, and so does Pam - and she's got good taste even if I don't! Definitely worth a look. No, make that two looks - this is something I need to stress, but you definitely need to see the director's cut or even final cut more than once to fully appreciate it.

- Melike

My Mood
    Gay

Welll..... I'd recommend the Blade Runner (Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition). That's the one I have.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Welll..... I'd recommend the Blade Runner (Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition). That's the one I have.

Ditto, but without the metal case! I think my favourite version is probably the Final Cut - it doesn't massively change anything, but it does smooth out the rough edges. Namely, getting rid of the rather noticeable "double" of Zhora in a rather infamous scene!

- Melike

5 discs? Does it contain all the different versions, or is it just packed with bonus material?
    I'll definitely check it out at some point. It's been on my too-see list for ages now.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Both: it's got both the US and international theatrical cuts, the director's cut from the early 90s, the final cut, and a rarely seen "workprint cut", which I haven't got round to watching yet. It's also got commentaries, a ton of featurettes, and a huge, mega long documentary going into detail about Blade Runner from conception to its release and even beyond that. Definitely worth a purchase!

- Melike

My Mood
    Gay

It has everthing, Heather. Check it out :

Disc One
    RIDLEY SCOTT'S ALL-NEW "FINAL CUT" VERSION OF THE FILM
    Commentary by Ridley Scott
    Commentary by executive producer/co-screenwriter Hampton Fancher and co-screenwriter David Peoples; producer Michael Deely and production executive Katherine Haber
    Commentary by visual futurist Syd Mead; production designer Lawrence G. Paull, art director David L. Snyder and special photographic effects supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer

Disc Two
    DOCUMENTARY DANGEROUS DAYS: MAKING BLADE RUNNER

Disc Three
    1982 THEATRICAL VERSION
    1982 INTERNATIONAL VERSION
    1992 DIRECTOR'S CUT

Disc Four
    Featurette "The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick"
    Featurette "Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. The Film"
    Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews (audio)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Cover Gallery (images)
    The Art of Blade Runner (image galleries)
    Featurette "Signs of the Times: Graphic Design"
    Featurette "Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling"
    Screen Tests: Rachel & Pris
    Featurette "The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth"
    Unit photography gallery
    Deleted and alternate scenes
    1982 promotional featurettes
    Trailers and TV spots
    Featurette "Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art"
    Marketing and merchandise gallery (images)
    Featurette "Deck-A-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard"
    Featurette "--Nexus Generation: Fans & Filmmakers"

Disc Five
    WORKPRINT VERSION
    Commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
    Featurette "All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut"
    Packaging:
    Unique 5-disc digi-package with handle which is a stylish version of Rick Deckard's own briefcase. In addition, each briefcase will be individually numbered and in limited supply.
    Lenticular motion film clip from the original feature
    Miniature origami unicorn figurine
    Miniature replica spinner car
    Collector's photographs
    Signed personal letter from Sir Ridley Scott

I think you have to get this set in the secondary market now - no longer available via Amazon.

Pam are you on netflix? What version do I want to watch, there's too many to choose from.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, I've got a lot less than I thought. Got everything but the stuff included with the packaging, like the unicorn figurine and stuff.

And I really hate myself for this, but I really want to hunt down that limited edition set now, just for the extra stuff! I hate being the Blade Runner fan that I am! Even hunted down a 2nd hand copy of a game from the 90s last year. Was surprised by how decent it was, actually. Have you played it at all, pam?

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Just don't hype it up too much for yourself, Heather. I hate that it's sometimes marketed as an action-packed extravaganza, when in reality it's a relatively slow paced film. It's a great film, but it's minimalistic in a lot of ways. Still, it's influence over modern science fiction films is apparent.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I think the way it's marketed is something I hate too, feev. The first time I watched it, I thought it was alright, but I was a bit dissapointed at how not that much seemed to happen in it. I was expecting a lot of fighting between Ford's character and a shit load of androids, loads of chases, things like that. Instead, I had seen a film I really wasn't sure I liked. Still, I had bought the 5 disc set (not to mention arranged a date with someone to see it at the cinema), so I thought I'd give it another viewing. When I took it for what it was, I liked it, but there was still a shitload of stuff that went over my head. 3rd time, I loved it.

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast