Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • David Cronenberg

10 34.48%
  • Ridley Scott

19 65.52%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Round 2 - David Cronenberg vs Ridley Scott

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default TGDT - Round 2 - David Cronenberg vs Ridley Scott

David Cronenberg's IMDB page

Notable films: Eastern Promises, A History of Violence, The Fly, Scanners , Videodrome

Ridley Scott's IMDB Page

Notable fims : Alien, Gladiator , Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Scott has made some great films, but I love all of Cronenberg's work, and most of them are personal favorites.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Cronenberg!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Who's voting for Scott ? Show yourselves !!!!!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

That's me, Feev!

Difficult, but I went with Ridley Scott.

Two reasons for that ...
    1. Thelma and Louise. I don't think there's any way that Cronenberg could have directed that film.
    2. Blade Runner ( director's cut ).
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

1. I suppose not. He probably would have substituted Brad Pitt's character for a telekinetic alien disguising himself as a cereal box

2. Great film

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    ... Thelma and Louise. I don't think there's any way that Cronenberg could have directed that film.
    I suppose not. He probably would have substituted Brad Pitt's character for a telekinetic alien disguising himself as a cereal box
    Imagine what the ending would've been!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Also voted for Scott, feev. I've yet to watch Thelma and Louise, and he might not have directed anything quites so memorable recently, but Alien and Blade Runner are all time classics, and he hasn't done anything as bad to film as what Lucas did with his prequel trilogy.

Oh, and Pam: for referring specifically to director's cut of Blade Runner. One of my alltime favourite films ever!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Cronenberg. Scott's always left me a bit cold.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ridley Scott, hands down.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cronenberg.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post

Oh, and Pam: for referring specifically to director's cut of Blade Runner. One of my alltime favourite films ever!
    Love the director's cut, it's more cohesive than the theatrical release.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Scott!
    Anyone ever seen his much underrated Legend??
    With Tom Cruise, I know, but also with an amazing ....well, who's this?? And no peeking!!

sk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Again both absolute favorite directors, so a hugely tough choice. Had to go with Sir Ridley Scott. I mean just look at this filmography:

1977 The Duellists
    1979 Alien
    1982 Blade Runner
    1985 Legend
    1987 Someone to Watch Over Me
    1989 Black Rain
    1991 Thelma & Louise
    1992 1492: Conquest of Paradise
    1996 White Squall
    1997 G.I. Jane
    2000 Gladiator
    2001 Hannibal
    2001 Black Hawk Down
    2003 Matchstick Men
    2005 Kingdom of Heaven
    2006 A Good Year
    2007 American Gangster
    2008 Body of Lies
    2010 Robin Hood

And he's doing A Brave New World. The man is a god.

My Mood
    Gay

A hugely under-rated movie of Ridley Scott's is White Squall. I thought it was an outstanding performance by Jeff Bridges ( though the casting of Scott Wolf, I thought, was a mistake ).

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Again both absolute favorite directors, so a hugely tough choice. Had to go with Sir Ridley Scott. I mean just look at this filmography:
    <...>
    The man is a god.
    I am afraid I'd better shut up...

Games Mistress Lisey Landon is on a distinguished road Lisey Landon's Avatar

My Mood
    Bitchy

It's much more fun when you don't, Jean

Pam, I've never seen White Squall - just added to my rental list.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Cronenberg,

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lisey Landon View Post
    thank you love, first I have to lick my Spielberg wounds. I think I'll crawl back to where I crawled from for now

... but I shall crawl back out...

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Lisey Landon View Post

Pam, I've never seen White Squall - just added to my rental list.
    I think you'll enjoy it. Based on a true story, btw.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Everything Ridley Scott has filmed should be declared works of art and held in museums.

Country
    Country Flag

::gags his mouth with both paws::

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know what it is about Scott's latest films .... they're very well made in technical categories, very well acted too (for the most part) ... but something about them seems so impersonal. As opposed to his earlier films, it's like he makes the films because he was hired to, not because he has any emotional tie to them or any particular urge to tell the story. I guess Ricky's assessment rings true for me too, in that Scott's films leave me feeling cold.

Cronenberg on the other hand, you can feel his presence through signature themes/techniques in every film he makes. His earlier films were all over the place, thematically and visually, but he's since gone on to make films that focus on one idea/theme and fleshes them out accordingly; they're much more self contained. I honestly have never seen a Cronenberg movie that I don't absolutely love.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I gotta give it to Scott. Alien and Matchstick Men are amongst my favourite films. I haven't seen all of Blade Runner, however. Most of his films, that aren't great, are pefectly watchable. Can't say I've seen a bad Ridley Scott film.

For those that don't know, Scott is signed on to direct two alien prequels.

I have to see all of Cronenbergs older stuff but I've seen most of his recent work. A History of Violence is amazing.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I have to see all of Cronenbergs older stuff but I've seen most of his recent work. A History of Violence is amazing.
    If you liked A History of Violence, you'll love Eastern Promises. Check that out.

His older films aren't as accessible as the last few ones he's made. Scanners is relatively straight forward, though. If you want to see Cronenberg at the peak of his surreal powers, watch Videodrome. You could also try eXistenZ, which is like a macabre version of The Matrix. Do not , I repeat, do not attempt to tackle Naked Lunch if you haven't watched Videodrome yet, or if you watched it and didn't like it. That film will chew you up and spit you out

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast