Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christopher Nolan

25 78.13%
  • George Lucas

7 21.88%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Round 2 - Christopher Nolan vs George Lucas

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, I've yet to see American Graffiti, or THX 1138, for that matter, but still, Lucas gets marked several points down for the bad storytelling in episodes I and II. III wasn't quite so bad, I will admit I enjoyed that, but even that seemed rather rushed in telling its story, which considering how much padding there was in the other two prequels is rather shocking!

However, I will need to see American Graffiti now if you're choosing Lucas over Nolan for it, Pam! That must be a really good film!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes.

Now that I am halfway through The Prestige, I have to suppose American Graffity has to be really fucking good to compete.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I absolutely loved American Graffiti. I think it's a classic. That being said - again, I'm sure that sentimentality played into my choice.

The director's cut of THX 1138 is to be released on Blu-Ray soon. I look forward to that.

ETA : Jean, I thought The Prestige was mediocre at best.

I know I'm definitely in the minority here, but to me, Nolan is no Great Director. He's good. He has amazing moments. But I have so many on my list of favorites ahead of him, he's not even on my radar. Sorry. ( and flame away, my friends! )
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

FLAME ON!

Wait, I'm not a Nolan fanatic! I've enjoyed his work so far, but I'm sure you're gonna get a lot of flack from just feev alone on this one, pam! Besides, I'm still too pissed off at my favourite director getting kicked out so early in this tournament to give an opinion on any others. (Although I do hope you won't be too pissed off at me for making a Marvel reference to Fantastic 4, and not X-Men! )

- Melike

My Mood
    Gay

DD - I'm not saying your a Nolan Fanatic, just that I know a lot of folks here think he's just fantastic.

Feev and I have discussed my issues with TDK and continue to be friends, so I'm not too worried.

Hey, this is all about personal opinion, right? Think of all the directors in this tourney! Think of those who aren't here ( how did we miss John Sayles? ) ... To me, Nolan isn't as impressive as half of them.

I don't get pissed at too many people - and any Marvel reference is okay with me!!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I know I'm definitely in the minority here, but to me, Nolan is no Great Director. He's good. He has amazing moments. But I have so many on my list of favorites ahead of him, he's not even on my radar. Sorry. ( and flame away, my friends! )
    For the time being, I have about 50 directors, from various places and times, ahead of Nolan.
    Another thing is that I've never considered Lucas among directors, in my understanding of this word, at all.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

DD - I'm not saying your a Nolan Fanatic, just that I know a lot of folks here think he's just fantastic.
    I know, I was just making the point that whilst I've liked his films, like you he's not currently one of my favourite directors just yet, and there's been quite a few that have impressed me a lot more. No, I'm an Edgar Wright fanatic all the way - any director who can make Michael Cera look badarse is a really fucking good director in my book!

- Melike

My Mood
    Gay

Jean, I certainly can see why you would have that opinion. And I respect that more than I can express here.

Could it be a one-shot wonder deal? Or even a two-shot wonder, or whatever? You know - probably. I can own that. Sentiment. I'm there. Star Wars being so cool and being such a part of my life. Yup.

So, okay - ownage, I voted with my heart. And like I said - I'll never forget Star Wars, ever. I can't say that about any of Nolan's pictures yet. Could he, one day, do something so amazing that it hits me and changes my perceptions - you never know. I hope he does. That's part of what I love above movies.

DD - What say we settle this little poll by seeing who can throw shoes over the pub?!?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

:bows in complete awe of using Finchy reference:

You don't have a smilie for that? Huh, well that should be corrected!

- Melike

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Lucas: A good producer.

American Graffiti: A Three-Star Film.

The Prestige: Pretty damn good when you're halfway through.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post

I knew you would get that !!!!

Country
    Country Flag

oh fuck... does it mean it will get worse from now on?... I've loved it so far, I even had to make a short break to have a clearer head for the rest of it.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    oh fuck... does it mean it will get worse from now on?... I've loved it so far, I even had to make a short break to have a clearer head for the rest of it.
    Nope. It just means that I didn't like it much. If you like it this far, you'll enjoy it completely.

Country
    Country Flag

::suspicious::

what did Mike mean, then?...

My Mood
    Gay

Hmm... not sure... It's an interesting ending, but to me, in total, an utterly forgettable film.

Path?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Pay these heathens no mind jean, and continue to enjoy the masterpiece that is The Prestige.

Country
    Country Flag

that's what I am fully intending to do

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

...to me, in total, an utterly forgettable film.
    Pretty much. Me too. Still...
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Pay these heathens no mind jean, and continue to enjoy the masterpiece that is The Prestige.
    that's what I am fully intending to do
    Sounds like a plan. Certainly didn't mean to mess you up.
    Nope. It just means that I didn't like it much. If you like it this far, you'll enjoy it completely.
    Could be. After all, no one's just like me.

Oh, BTW, I totally voted for Nolan here.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post

I knew you would get that !!!!
    Of course! One advantage to the series being so short: every single moment is instantly memorable! I think Tim stopping his radio hat from also being thrown over despite complaining about it before is another classic moment of subtlety that says everything about the character!

Regarding you choosing Lucas over Nolan out of sentimentality, I can definitely relate to ya on that: my love of Blade Runner was what made me choose Scott over Cronenberg, after all, and if we had a contest over best tv show, despite having seen great shows like Deadwood, Lost, and Rome, I will always vote for Doctor Who, mostly because it had a such a huge impact on my childhood, which was even more considerably bigger than the impact of both Star Wars and Harry Potter put together!

And I suppose I can't find too much fault with Lucas over Phantom Menace, at least. It did lead to one of my favourite quotes in a tv show ever:

Bilbo: What about the ewoks? They were rubbish, you never complain about them!
    Tim: That's because Jar Jar Binks makes the ewoks look like fucking Shaft!
    Never a truer word spoken!

- Melike

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

The Prestige is actually my least favorite so far. I've not seen all his films.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

My least favorite is Insomnia. You can tell he didn't have a hand in writing it, and I'm not a big fan of remakes anyway. It just seems to me to be a well-made Hollywood thriller.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Insomnia is my least favorite of his too. In all fairness though, it was only his second feature film and it's decent for what it is, he's come a long way since then.

And besides , Nolan's worst is still better than a lot of directors best

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Hrm. I haven't seen Insomnia because it wasn't Insomnia, so I was too pissed to watch the movie that it was. You all know what I mean by that. Hehe.

American Graffiti is Lucas at his top. Love love love the movie.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

At his top as a director, yes... but I still can't give it 3 whole loves, lol.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought The Prestige was mediocre at best.

That's okay...I've never seen Star Wars.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast