Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christopher Nolan

25 78.13%
  • George Lucas

7 21.88%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Round 2 - Christopher Nolan vs George Lucas

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Empire Strikes Back (and I don't think I'm alone here) is the greatest of the Star Wars movies.
    Agreed.
    seconded
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah, Lucas made a huge impact on cinema, and Star Wars was something that caught people's imaginations like no other movie had done, but his biggest problem - and this is why he fails as a director - is that while he can come up with a great story idea, he can't tell that story well in the slightest! The best reason why Empire's so good, as pointed out by Mattrick, was that Lucas was smart enough to let other people handle the two most important parts of the storytelling process in film. Even Harrison Ford said to him, "George, you can type this shit, but you sure as hell can't say it." Listen to half the dialogue in Ep IV and you'll see what I mean, there's some really terrible lines in that movie, it's just that the story moves at such a nice pace that you don't really notice it, something that can't be said of the bore that is Attack of the Clones. Too many terrible "romantic" scenes in that film! "I wish that I could just...wish away my feelings." Urgh! Any good director would've just cut that trash out, or better yet, give the story idea to a good scriptwriter! I'm sorry, but Lucas is just not that good. As a guy coming up with cool ideas and who changed how science fiction film should look forever, yes, he was great at that, but at directing? No. Not in the slightest.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It still annoys me to see Lucas in that picture with Scorsese, Spielberg, and Coppola when Scorsese won his award.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Me too, feev, me too.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I'll second Feev's recommendation of Memento.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I third that. It's top-notch and interestingly constructed.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Empire is my favorite as well.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    And I'll fourth it. I'm pretty sure it's one that you'd enjoy Jean.
    I think you would also really like Following by him as well.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I still need to see Following. it's on my list. And my Netflix queue.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I still need to see Following. it's on my list. And my Netflix queue.
    Move it to the top. The very top. NAO !

Is that the only Nolan film you have yet to see ?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that's it. I checked and it's on instant. Guess what I'm doing tonight?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Going to ... the ... gym ?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Watching Doctor Who? (Oh wait, that's what I'm doing!)

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

No. I'm going to save the Pope from aliens, then maybe watch Following.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, so less watching the plot of a dr who episode, and more living it. Awesome.

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Enjoy!

Oh and I love your new theme by the way.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, heather. And I thought you guys might like that.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    And I'll fourth it. I'm pretty sure it's one that you'd enjoy Jean.
    I think you would also really like Following by him as well.
    will have Memento tonight, tomorrow at the latest

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, Memento is just absolutely brilliant. I never get tired of watching that incredible piece of cinema. I was lucky enough to have seen that movie when it first released on DVD, it's become more of a cult hit since then.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't even realize Memento was

a) by Nolan

or

b) so poppular.

I've probably watched it a hundred times by now.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yup, Memento is what put Nolan on the map.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

once again, Lucas voters prefer to stay anonymous... except for one brave alkanto

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    once again, Lucas voters prefer to stay anonymous... except for one brave alkanto
    I'll go there, my bear.

Yup. I voted for Lucas. I'll step up.

Here's the reason why... American Graffiti. I don't think Nolan could have done American Graffiti.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

And I don't think Lucas could have done anything Nolan did

My Mood
    Gay

Hmmmm.... Not so sure about that.

Also, I admit to a great deal of sentimentality about my choice - George Lucas/Star Wars changed the way I view movies and the possibilities they present. I remember the day I saw it, and always will. I can't say that about any Nolan film I've ever seen.

Oh, and of course, I don't think I will ever forgive Nolan for allowing CB to whisper his way through TDK. How can a director who brought The Joker out of Heath Ledger, allow such a thing?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast