Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Crate, a 1979 uncollected short story to be anthologized

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Crate, a 1979 uncollected short story to be anthologized

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar15

Shivers VI
    edited by Richard Chizmar

Cemetery Dance Publications is proud to announce the sixth entry in this award-nominated and best-selling anthology series! Shivers VI is by far the largest volume to date and the first volume in the series to be published as Limited Edition and Lettered Edition hardcovers signed by the editor for the collectors in addition to the affordable trade paperback edition for general readers!

Shivers VI weighs in at 410 pages and contains more than 110,000 words from today's most popular authors of horror and suspense including Stephen King, Peter Straub, Al Sarrantonio, Jay Bonansinga, Lisa Tuttle, David B. Silva, Melanie Tem, Brian Hodge, Brian Keene, Alan Peter Ryan, Blake Crouch and Jack Kilborn, Bev Vincent, Brian James Freeman, Norman Prentiss, and many others.

Two of the longest pieces are a long lost novella, "The Crate" by Stephen King, which was only published once and hasn't been in print in more than three decades, and "A Special Place: The Heart of A Dark Matter" by Peter Straub, a novella that is "creepy to the core" and "shines a terrible light on the backstory of Straub's acclaimed A Dark Matter" according to the coveted Starred Review from Publishers Weekly.

Featuring original dark fiction with a handful of rare reprints, Shivers VI is available only from Cemetery Dance Publications.

Table of Contents:
    "Serial" by Blake Crouch & Jack Kilborn
    "The Crate" a novella by Stephen King
    "The Last Beautiful Day" by Brian James Freeman
    "Cobwebs" by Kealan Patrick Burke
    "The Old Ways" by Norman Prentiss
    "Waiting for Darkness" by Brian Keene
    "Like Lick 'Em Sticks, Like Tina Fey" by Glen Hirshberg
    "Ghost Writer in My Eye" by Wayne Allen Sallee
    "Palisado" by Alan Peter Ryan
    "Stillness" by Richard Thomas
    "In the Raw" by Brian Hodge
    "I Found A Little Hole" by Nate Southard
    "Fallow" by Scott Nicholson
    "Last" by Al Sarrantonio
    "Mole" by Jay Bonansinga
    "The Shoes" by Melanie Tem
    "Bits and Pieces" by Lisa Tuttle
    "Trouble Follows" by David B. Silva
    "Keeping It in the Family" by Robert Morrish
    "It Is the Tale" by Bev Vincent
    "A Special Place: The Heart of A Dark Matter" a novella by Peter Straub

About the Editor:
    Richard Chizmar has edited more than a dozen anthologies, including The Best of Cemetery Dance, The Earth Strikes Back, Night Visions 10, October Dreams (with Robert Morrish), and the Shivers series. His fiction has appeared in dozens of publications, including Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine and The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mystery Stories. He has won numerous honors including two World Fantasy Awards, four International Horror Guild Awards, and the HWA's Board of Trustees Award.

Published in three states:
    Trade Paperback ($20)
    Hardcover Limited Edition of 750 copies signed by the editor, bound in full-cloth, and Smyth sewn ($40)
    Deluxe Traycased Lettered Edition of just 52 hardcover copies signed by the editor and lettered, bound in leather with a satin ribbon page marker ($175)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crate

Gunslinger Apprentice johnsmith87 will become famous soon enough johnsmith87's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very excited about this one. Bought the limited edition hardcover for free, thanks to the $40 coupon I got with buying Lilja's book. Knew that would come in handy

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Not sure what the excitement is about. Stephen King isn't signing the book, and The Crate has been published.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's pretty cool, but imo a lettered edition and perhaps a numbered edition too should ALWAYS be signed by the authors unless they're dead. It is what for me at least makes the added cost worthwhile.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

was the crate turned into the story about the crate with the monster in it that was in creepshow?
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Gunslinger Apprentice AIMB will become famous soon enough AIMB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    was the crate turned into the story about the crate with the monster in it that was in creepshow?
    I hope not, not worth 20$.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The story was published in france about 12 years ago, so the story was published somewhere.. But where ?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Yes, "The Crate" was the story in Creepshow.

I have a story in this collection, too.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The Crate has been collected in a number of anthologies already. It's just never been included in one of King's collections. Actually, it's one of my more favorite stories. And I'm glad Bev has a story in this one too. Makes it even more worthwhile.

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll hold out for a collection of just King's uncollected fiction somewhere down the road. Plus I have a copy of the story already

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Peter's story is really good, too. It's a vignette cut from A Dark Matter.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I have a story in this collection, too.
    GTFO! Shows how much attention I pay to the folken here.

I'd buy it if I thought you'd ever show up in Dallas to sign it.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

btw, nobody mentionned that the story HAS BEEN printed during those last 30 years.

According to Justin Brooks' bibliography, the last print of it was done in 1994... in "GREAT TALES OF HORROR & THE SUPERNATURAL"
    Still rare though!
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Jeremy, check my post above. I mention there that it has been reprinted, but with no details.

John

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It was also published in spanish in a really cool horror series called "Horror". It appeared in the seventh volume.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Jeremy, check my post above. I mention there that it has been reprinted, but with no details.

John
    I must have missed your post, sorry

Country
    Country Flag

There are plenty of uncollected fiction that King could publish, and without any revisions, as they're all good stories, including The Crate, Weeds, The Blue Air Compressor, Man with a Belly, The Night of the Tiger, The Reploids, and so on. He just recently collected The Cat from Hell, so these could see the light of day too.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Weeds is one of my favorite King short stories/novellas. I keep wondering why it's never been in any anthologies or collections. It's much darker than the campy Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill that was done in Creepshow.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

I sort of agree because The Blue Air Compressor is such a strange tale..it and The Old Dude's Ticker is King's too weakest tales...but of course, as always, a delight to read for us big fans

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

And then of course, we have Squad D. Love that story and it's a shame it hasn't seen publication, either in his own collections or in anthologies

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I've got a Stephen King comic that had The Crate in it, quite the awesome comic it was. I was a huge fan of the story where the guy found the meteor.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

The first printing of Shivers VI is almost sold out. It's shipping now. A second printing of the trade paperback edition has been ordered.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I received my copies of Shivers VI today. both first printings (the s/l hardcover and the trade paperback).

John

+ Reply to Thread