Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steven Spielberg

19 57.58%
  • Terry Gilliam

14 42.42%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: TDGT - Round 2 - Steven Spielberg vs Terry Gilliam

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Feev - I love that explanation. I love JP, it's one I watch again and again.

Jean - I think what you're saying is how I like to describe the difference between a movie and a film.

To me, using SS as a platform : Jurassic Park is a great MOVIE. Schlinder's List is a great FILM.
    or a book, jean your dis-like seems to stem from the story as opposed to the director? in which case the dislike should be aimed at Crichton instead of speilberg who brought it to life?

or i may be compleltey off base

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Honestly, part of what I like about movies/films is that sometimes, like it or not, a motion picture can be both!

Caveat ... amongst my friends, I am known as a "movie snob" which makes me laugh, because I'm all about the goofy, multi-billion-dollar comic book movies as much as I am about the quiet, dramatic indie cinema!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    or a book, jean your dis-like seems to stem from the story as opposed to the director? in which case the dislike should be aimed at Crichton instead of speilberg who brought it to life?

or i may be compleltey off base
    No. It's the way the story is told: that is, the quality of the movie as a movie (film). My point wasn't that I won't watch a dinosaur movie; it was that I am very unimpressed by a movie about nothing else than dinosaurs (with or without a message), without any other qualities that would seem redeeming to me

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Jaws is probably Spielberg’s best. It’s one of the finest of horror films. You have to give him credit for that, because after all, you can’t blame Spielberg for Jaws 2, Jaws 3-D, Jaws: The Revenge, and Jaws vs. Jason …or can you? Welcome to Hollywood... banal, banal, banal.

Jurassic Park, okay, it delivers an interesting message if you pay attention. It would be nice if more people were sensitive to chaos. The moral doesn’t really matter, though; we all know why folks watch this movie. They wanna see some dinosaurs! Why make a socio-political novel into a summer movie? To cash in on the action potential! Here’s a film ostensibly to show that carelessly using technology for amusement is likely to have unforeseen consequences… a film which used cutting edge effects technology and old-fashioned narrative contrivances. How hypocritical! The whole series is really just a big amusement for the public and, contrary to what was stated explicitly, the ultimate subtext is “Don’t worry too much about anything; someone will always find a way to work it out.”

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

for me it was close encounters of the 3rd kind, i loved and still love that film today

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    My point wasn't that I won't watch a dinosaur movie; it was that I am very unimpressed by a movie about nothing else than dinosaurs (with or without a message), without any other qualities that would seem redeeming to me
    That's the thing, the film isn't just about the dinosaurs ! Leaving all of the political hocus pocus aside, the film is also about a group of people struggling to survive against such a powerful and deadly anomaly. Dr. Grant is forced to risk his life and protect a couple of children when in the initial portion of the film he stated how much he hates children. John Hammond's character has to come to the painful realization that some things in are just not to be tinkered with and he is forced to abandon the park, even though he put so much money and time into it , and even though it was his life's dream to see that idea come to fruition. The film is as much about the characters as it was about the dinosaurs.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Admit it, though: it was not more about the characters than the about the dinosaurs. It couldn't have been, because that don't sell tickets.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Admit it, though: it was not more about the characters than the about the dinosaurs. It couldn't have been, because that don't sell tickets.
    Yes and no. Obviously the film was shot and marketed as a summer blockbuster so there needed to be extensive scenes showing the protagonists in near death situations of the carnivorous kind , of that there's no argument. But what's most intriguing about JP is, like I mentioned, how the characters cope with the dilemmas that arise, having absolutely no idea how the creatures will react or how best to diffuse the situation.

The trailers certainly focused heavily on the dinosaurs though ... but that's the case with virtually every movie trailer : the action heavy scenes are the one's focused on the most in an effort to increase the hype and get the audience riled up. Regardless of what the film is about, the trailers are shot and marketed in a certain way to optimize the amount of ticket sales. JP was certainly no exception in that regard.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Feev You perfectly summed up why I love Jurassic Park so much. It's one of my favorites. I don't think I could ever tire of watching it. And now after all this discussion about it, I think you guys have swayed me into voting for Spielberg.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

ETA: both Jurrasic and Schindler's look like "movies" to me, say sorry...
    Have you not seen Schindler's List?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I have. I have already stated my opinion about it a few times.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Spielberg...how I love the marketability for me to see and be pleased for sometimes i enjoy a movie that is entenrtaining, as much as I enjoy artistic films, and you do them so well.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Terry Gilliam....good one

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Spielberg...how I love the marketability for me to see and be pleased for sometimes i enjoy a movie that is entenrtaining, as much as I enjoy artistic films, and you do them so well.
    Well, at least you're honest. I can't argue with that.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is such an unfair poll, as both are my favorites. Too bad one will be left behind.

Games Mistress Lisey Landon is on a distinguished road Lisey Landon's Avatar

My Mood
    Bitchy

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Jaws vs. Jason
    ...does this film really exist?!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Now THAT would be a film.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

In production right now: Jaws vs. Jason

Spoiler:
    Made ya look.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Steven Spielberg advances !

Country
    Country Flag

gr gr gr

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3