Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 15 books of my life

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

As read chronologically...

Winnie The Pooh - A. A. Milne
    Charlotte's Web - E.B. White
    Rabbit Hill - Robert Lawson
    Homer Price - Robert McCloskey
    Hardy Boys Series - Franklin W. Dixon
    The Halloween Tree - Ray Bradbury
    'Salem's Lot - SK
    The Dead Zone - SK
    Watership Down - Richard Adams
    Semi-Tough - Dan Jenkins
    North & South - John Jakes
    Friday Night Lights - H.G. Bissinger
    Summer Of Night - Dan Simmons
    Rookie - Jerry Jenkins
    11/22/63 - SK

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I've attempted to do this several times but each time my list is different.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Catch-22
    In Cold Blood
    IT
    Harry Potter Series
    Lolita
    Hannibal
    The Great Gatsby
    Blood Meridian
    The Exorcist
    The Vampire Chronicles
    Crime and Punishment/ The Brothers Karamazov (I can't choose, don't make me!)
    Invisible Monsters
    The Stranger
    On the Road
    Moby Dick

This was hard and still not completely satisfied with the list.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

The Scarlet Letter
    The Stranger
    The Talisman
    The Stand
    A Song of Ice & Fire series
    The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty
    Red Rising
    The Handmaid's Tale
    The Name of the Wind
    Outlander (series)
    The Tell-Tale Heart (everything Poe)
    The Southern Reach series
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    The Vampire Chronicles
    Life of Pi
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Nice list becca! I really tried to work Poe into my list.

Also, American Psycho needs to be on my list too.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

There are so many I wanted to add... I actually had 18 on there before I had counted them up.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

There are so many I wanted to add... I actually had 18 on there before I had counted them up.
    For some reason, 15 is a hard number. 10 or 20 would be easier I think but 15, rough!

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Default 15 books of my life

“The Dark Tower” by Stephen King
    “Cannery Row” by John Steinbeck
    “The Outsider” by Albert Camus
    “The Metamorphosis” by Franz Kafka
    “The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger
    “The Dunwich Horror” by H.P. Lovecraft
    “Anomaly” by Peter Cawdron
    “Night Shift” by Stephen King
    “The Manitou” by Graham Masterton
    “1984” by George Orwell
    “James and the Giant Peach” by Roald Dahl
    “The World is Flat” by Thomas L. Friedman
    “The Confederacy of Dunces” by John Kennedy Toole
    “The Ritual” by Adam Nevill
    “The Terror” by Dan Simmons
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

First of all, these are '15 Books of My Life', not 'THE 15 Books of My Life' (I would never be able to make a true lifetime Top 15). Not in any particular order other than slightly chronological, and yes - I had to count 'series' as single books:
    1. Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
    2. Dune (first four books) - Frank Herbert
    3. Night Shift - Stephen King
    4. Skeleton Crew - Stephen King
    5. The Stand - Stephen King
    6. The Dead Zone - Stephen King
    7. The Talisman - Stephen King
    8. Swan Song - Robert McCammon
    9. Wool, Shift, Dust - Hugh Howey
    10. Summer of Night - Dan Simmons
    11. The Terror - Dan Simmons
    12. ASOIAF - George R.R. Martin
    13. Wayward Pines - Blake Crouch
    14. Replay - Ken Grimwood
    15. 11/22/63 - Stephen King

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Carrion Comfort (most evil villain in a book I've ever read, the woman)
    1984 (soul crushing, will never forget that empty void it created)
    Tommyknockers (scenes from this book run through my head every summer)
    Fear (most surprising ending I've ever read)
    Far Side Gallery Any (I love to laugh)
    Calvin and Hobbes Any (the best)
    Einstein's Dreams (Theoretical philosophical science fiction, these stories are short and sweet and stuck with me for years)
    Rant (best audio book experience ever)
    Scarlet Letter (probably one of the few books I've finished that I actually hated)
    Animal Farm (this book plays out everywhere every day)
    Hearts in Atlantis ( so many things I love about this book)
    The Giving Tree
    Are you My Mother
    The Deep (my wife and I always make fun of this book for some reason, it's a good book but we make fun of the narrator quite a bit)
    On Writing.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I wasn't going to participate in this, but seeing 1984 made me think.
    In no particular order then:

1. 1984
    2. TO YOUR SCATTERED BODIES GO
    3. THE HOBBIT
    4. FIRESTARTER
    5. THE STAND
    6. LYONESSE TRILOGY
    7. I AM LEGEND
    8. 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY
    9. THE NIGHT OF THE RIPPER
    10. THE PAINTED BIRD
    11. THE EXORCIST
    12. HELL HOUSE
    13. GATEWAY
    14. WALPURGIS III
    15. NINE PRINCES IN AMBER
    15 (cheating!) BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS

This list seems weird even to me. But at the time I read them, these books had a profound impact on me.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It
    Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter
    Shadowland by Peter Straub
    Suffer The Little Children
    Crouch End
    The House With A Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs
    The Ballad Of The Flexible Bullet
    Orange is for Anguish, Blue for Insanity by David Morrell
    A Christmas Carol
    Harry Potter series
    The Chronicles Of Narnia
    Lord Of The Rings
    We Don't Die: George Anderson's Conversations with the Other Side by Joel Martin
    The Treasure Of Alpheus Winterborn by John Bellairs
    Atlas Shrugged
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The Hobbit
    The Road
    The Gunslinger
    Westlake Soul
    Gone South
    Fahrenheit 451
    IT
    Works by Edgar Allen Poe
    LOTR
    The Dunwich Horror (short story but WOW!)
    Swan Song
    The Red Badge of Courage
    Otherland Series
    Lord of the Flies

Tough list to generate. If I made this list again tomorrow I am certain it would be different.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Agreed!

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

otherland series? As in Tad Williams? Have you tried memory sorrow and thorn?
    The Hobbit
    The Road
    The Gunslinger
    Westlake Soul
    Gone South
    Fahrenheit 451
    IT
    Works by Edgar Allen Poe
    LOTR
    Swan Song
    The Red Badge of Courage
    Otherland Series
    Lord of the Flies

Tough list to generate. If I made this list again tomorrow I am certain it would be different.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes to both. I wore those books out as a teenager. I still have the PBs and the HC's of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. They are basically ruined but still readable. They may actually be some of the first HC's I ever bought.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    The Hobbit
    The Road
    The Gunslinger
    Westlake Soul
    Gone South
    Fahrenheit 451
    IT
    Works by Edgar Allen Poe
    LOTR
    Swan Song
    The Red Badge of Courage
    Otherland Series
    Lord of the Flies

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes to both. I wore those books out as a teenager. I still have the PBs and the HC's of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. They are basically ruined but still readable. They may actually be some of the first HC's I ever bought.

The Hobbit
    The Road
    The Gunslinger
    Westlake Soul
    Gone South
    Fahrenheit 451
    IT
    Works by Edgar Allen Poe
    LOTR
    Swan Song
    The Red Badge of Courage
    Otherland Series
    Lord of the Flies

Interesting so you chose otherland over MS&T. I have both sets and have yet to read either. Not sure where to start

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The Hobbit
    The Road
    The Gunslinger
    Westlake Soul
    Gone South
    Fahrenheit 451
    IT
    Works by Edgar Allen Poe
    LOTR
    Swan Song
    The Red Badge of Courage
    Otherland Series
    Lord of the Flies

Interesting so you chose otherland over MS&T. I have both sets and have yet to read either. Not sure where to start
    I'm a Tad Williams fan. Both series are great. Pick either one and just start.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

LOTR
    The Shining
    Red Badge of Courage
    The Exorcist
    'Salem's Lot
    Dracula
    Catcher in the Rye
    Davinci Code
    Twinkle, Twinkle Killer Kane
    Treasure Island
    First Deadly Sin
    Silence of the Lambs
    The Godfather
    Swan Song
    Jaws

Honorable Mention: Ghost Story, The Hobbit and Helter Skelter
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    LOTR
    The Exorcist
    Silence of the Lambs
    Swan Song
    I really need to get my ass in gear and read these.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Man, I totally forgot about CATCHER IN THE RYE. My list would probably change every day too.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

The Road Virus vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

IT
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
    House of Leaves by Danielewzki
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
    Absolom Absolom by Faulkner
    The Virgin Suicides by Geoffrey Eugenides
    The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins
    Harry Potter
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt
    Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem
    Dracula
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
    Mathilda by Dahl

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

1. Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
    2. Mistborn - Sanderson
    3. Desperation - King
    4. Harry Potter - Rowling
    5. Hyperion - Simmons
    6. Under the Dome - King
    7. Ready Player One - Cline
    8. Horns - Hill
    9. Locke & Key - Hill
    10. Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald
    11. The Sword in the Stone - White
    12. Walking Dead - Kirkman
    13. Catch 22 - Heller
    14. Holes - Sachar
    15. ASOIAF - Martin
    I just have to re-order mine and maybe replace one or 2.
    1. Stormlight Archive - Sanderson
    2. Harry Potter - Rowling
    3. Ready Player One - Cline
    4. Mistborn - Sanderson
    5. Locke & Key - Hill
    6. Desperation - King
    7. Hyperion - Simmons
    8. Under the Dome - King
    9. Horns - Hill
    10. Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
    11. The Sword in the Stone - White
    12. Wayward Pines - Crouch
    13. Catch 22 - Heller
    14. Holes - Sachar
    15. ASOIAF - Martin

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by vincent View Post
    IT
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
    House of Leaves by Danielewzki
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
    Absolom Absolom by Faulkner
    The Virgin Suicides by Geoffrey Eugenides
    The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins
    Harry Potter
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt
    Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem
    Dracula
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
    Mathilda by Dahl
    Ive been wanting to pick up something by Stephenson but wasn't sure where to start. Also how the hell did you read House of Leaves?

The Road Virus vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

On Stephenson: he's great! Good ones to start with: Cryptonomicon - World War II code-breaking (the grandfather) and programming the early internet (the grandson), Snow Crash - his debut, sci-fi, here he coined the term Avatar as we use it still), Reamde - fast-paced action thriller about blackmail/extortion via an RPG game that explodes into real world car chases.

On House of Leaves: I thought it was amazing. I focussed on the story as much as possible: A family discovers when measuring that the inside of their house is half a meter longer than the outside of their house. The book he wrote after that, Only Revolutions, now that was taking it too far

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast