Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the better director ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peter Jackson

16 55.17%
  • Hayao Miyazaki

13 44.83%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TDGT - Round 2 - Peter Jackson vs Hayao Miyazaki

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default TDGT - Round 2 - Peter Jackson vs Hayao Miyazaki

Peter Jackson's IMDB page

Notable films : Dead Alive, Heavenly Creatures , Lord of the Rings (trilogy), King Kong

Hayao Miyazaki's IMDB Page

Notable films : My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

NOTE : In case of a tie in the poll, the posts below will be used as a final tie breaker.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hayao Miyazaki, no question about it.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Miyazaki
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Jackson - have to go for him. If for nothing else, LOTR deserves this

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Miyazaki

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler chtorrwar19 is on a distinguished road chtorrwar19's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This was so tough... I adore both of them, but as a New Zealander my loyalties have to lie ultimately with Jackson. I think in the end Miyazaki is the better "auteur" type director, he's a real artist, but Jackson really knows how to present a fantastic spectacle film - a spectacle film with a good heart - something guys like Michael Bay could really learn about

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by chtorrwar19 View Post
    <...> I think in the end Miyazaki is the better "auteur" type director <...>
    Precisely.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen a Mayazaki film, but I wouldn't even put Jackson in my top 50 for directors. I've liked some of his stuff, but.. I just don't want to vote for him so I'm out of this one.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I've never seen a Mayazaki film, but I wouldn't even put Jackson in my top 50 for directors. I've liked some of his stuff, but.. I just don't want to vote for him so I'm out of this one.
    Remedy this as soon as possible. I'm not kidding. I'll never speak to you again if you don't. Start with Princess Mononoke and/or Spirited Away.

I went with Miyazaki. He might not have a set of films with the scope of Lord of The Rings, but there is something about each of his films that just tugs at your heartstrings.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Remedy this as soon as possible. I'm not kidding. I'll never speak to you again if you don't. Start with Princess Mononoke and/or Spirited Away.
    Yes, I agree with Feev. I'd also recommend Howl's Moving Castle. Honestly I think you'd really enjoy them Brice.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't decide which one I like more... I guess I am going with Mayazaki. I liked his films more...just because one makes a spectacular trilogy doesn't mean the rest are good....just my opinion.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll see what I cn do about remedying the not having seen any Miyazaki films situation. Feev, you know you couldn't stop talking to me.

I honestly think Dead Alive was the high point of Jackson's career.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

That's my favorite Jackson film as well.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I may vote for him ONLY because of that movie. I'm not sure. I'm thinking on it.

If you rescue me

No, don't do it! Watch a Miyazaki one first then vote

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll see what I cn do about remedying the not having seen any Miyazaki films situation. Feev, you know you couldn't stop talking to me.

I can see why people might not like The Lord of the Rings (actually I can't, but for arguements sake let's say I can) how can you deny that LoTR is the high point of his career?

I know people love the books (as do I) but he did an amazing job with those movies. Even though I might disagree with some of his changes, they are still great.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Had to go with Jackson ...

... and I don't mean to sound flippant ( okay, maybe I do, just a little ) but how hard is it to direct animated characters?
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

I can see why people might not like The Lord of the Rings (actually I can't, but for arguements sake let's say I can) how can you deny that LoTR is the high point of his career?

I know people love the books (as do I) but he did an amazing job with those movies. Even though I might disagree with some of his changes, they are still great.
    I am one of those who abhor the movie. I found it boring, stilted, sacrificing everything that I loved in the book for the sake of one big, overdrawn set of visual effects.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

ouch! it was a film, a visual over anything everytime

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Had to go with Jackson ...

... and I don't mean to sound flippant ( okay, maybe I do, just a little ) but how hard is it to direct animated characters?
    It's not only directing the characters - virtually every character, location, and event within the film stemmed from Miyazaki's imagination. It's the power of his imagination coupled with his ability to weave coming-of-age stories into the fabric of his films that make him such a great director.

P.S - I can maybe ... with great difficulty, and a whiskey or two - see how someone could possibly not like the cinematic perfection(s) that are the Lord of the Ring films, but even the most skeptical cynic has to admit that they've had a profound impact on modern cinema.

Country
    Country Flag

sorry guys, I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, just stated my opinion. I am rather particular about movies, and very hard to please; that's how bears are. Being that most skeptical cynics feve mentioned, I have to admit I don't really know if the impact is positive; but then again, I am very much averse to the special-effect kind of cinema.

About it being visual... I feel there's a big difference between "visual visual" and "cinema visual"; I hope to develop it later.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean - I wasn't singling you out, just so you know. I've seen a lot of people that dislike the LoTR films and I phrased it the way I did for anyone who consider themselves as such.

Country
    Country Flag

oh, I don't mind being singled out! I would, in fact, be honored...

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

no feeling hurt here either, just saying...

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast