Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Help

Well i have been thinking about starting to write my own story for a while, (not sure how long it will be at the moment) which will be my 1st attempt at doing so since i stopped doing English at school 8 years ago and today i have finally taken the plunge

So i wondered if anyone had any tips for me and if possible could read my 1st paragraph (whish is below) giving me your thoughts on it

There seems to be one moment in everyone’s lives that they can remember as though it happened yesterday, a moment that’s so fresh in your mind that you could close your eyes and pick out the tiniest details. You can set the scene for anyone with the time of day, who you are with and where, even if the birds are tweeting their blissful ballads to the sun. All because time stood still, seconds feeling like minutes or even hours consequently cementing facts into the subconscious. Unfortunately though, this length of time isn’t always the happiest of memories and this was the case when I was woken 5 years ago today by the cheesiest of mobile alarm tones. Little was I to know that this phone call had started a chain of events that would change my perception of reality, bending the barrier between what’s real and what isn’t, changing me forever.

Thanks
    Tom

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

My thoughts: Write more!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, please. It is intriguing, and I don't want to think it is too intriguing for its own good - like, the story is going to ruin the expectation. That, by the way, might be the trap - if you fail to write the story to satisfy this anticipation you induced in the last line.

Another observation - if you really need criticism, that is - is that the first passage seems a little - shit, I forgot the English word - what is it when there's too much furniture in a confined space? I mean, in spite of being intelligent and succeeding in conveying its image, it doesn't "flow", whatever that meant, the reader has to go back to the beginning to grasp all that you wanted to put there. Maybe it's just that bears are tired, though, but I would break it into two, with maybe something on a lighter note in between. Sorry for advice - you seemed to want it, right?

Bears want to know what exactly happened.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I like it... I would like to read more. You should write some more and have Jean or one of us other staff folks change the title of this thread to the working title of your piece.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i like it, a lot

follow Brice advice

write more

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

It DOES tempt the reader. You have us on the hook.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I like it, i'm curious what you'll do with it
    it seems like a very tightly coiled paragraph, perhaps you could stretch that one paragraph out into a whole chapter or a few pages? just a thought, there's a whole lot there to work with
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    I like it, i'm curious what you'll do with it
    it seems like a very tightly coiled paragraph, perhaps you could stretch that one paragraph out into a whole chapter or a few pages? just a thought, there's a whole lot there to work with
    Thanks for the tips and feedback, i have the story generally thought out ... its sort of a play on something that has happened to me in the past ... i think i will try to go on

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well over 2,000 words done ... im quite enjoying this!

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow! Keep doing it!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, please

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Almost 10,000 words done as of 5 minutes ago and i think i have most of the book planned out now too. One highlight so far has been researching aggressive tribes of the rainforest

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

*flamethrower The Thing*

(Sorry, just a little Halloween joke.)
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Thing View Post
    Almost 10,000 words done as of 5 minutes ago and i think i have most of the book planned out now too. One highlight so far has been researching aggressive tribes of the rainforest
    Just to mess with you, I was looking for a picture who fit this criteria, until i remembered Cannibal Holocaust.... Then i decided not to mess with you

Traveler Euryon is on a distinguished road Euryon's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tip: If you're wanting to ever publish this (and get paid), or anything else, not a good idea to post it online, anywhere.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Euryon View Post
    Tip: If you're wanting to ever publish this (and get paid), or anything else, not a good idea to post it online, anywhere.
    Hey yeah thanks for that! Someone else has already told me that which is why i haven't been poting anymore on here ... all the 13,000 words so far are between me and my proof reader (my girlfriend)

Traveler Euryon is on a distinguished road Euryon's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good to hear I lost out on getting published by learning that the hard way
    Married to Lovely

Evidence of murder

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

How did that stop you getting published though?

Infact i've not written a word for a week so i must try to get some more done in the next few days. My problem is that when i have got out of the swing for a while it's hard to start again!

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Got to 25,000 words during my lunch hour today. Getting to the meaty parts now and having abit of fun with it

Oh and thanks to David for some translations!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've done 27000 words so far for nanowrimo, I probably won't get to 50000 by next week, but I'm going to carry on anyway. My advice would be, write and write and write. Even if it seems a bit crappy sometimes, don't stop and reread the whole thing until you've finished. If you need to remember where you'd got to just reread the last paragraph, but too much rereading and analysing what you've written can put you off, make you too self critical. You can edit and rewrite to your hearts content when you're finished

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool thanks for the tips

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    Got to 25,000 words during my lunch hour today. Getting to the meaty parts now and having abit of fun with it

Oh and thanks to David for some translations!
    Oh, I'm blushing!!!
    Any time my friend

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Not updated for some time, but earlier today i completed my 155th page and am over 85,000 words. The story should progress over 100,000 in time, looking forward to finally completing it which is finally on the horizon!

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Writing at a faster pace now, usually between 1,000 and 2,000 words a day.
    Just past 105,000 words and have completed the 199th page!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Keep going, man!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast