Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Finli O'Tego and the gunslingers

Advocaat

Default Finli O'Tego and the gunslingers

Hi

When we first meet Finli O'Tego in the Dogan in book 5, Slightman tells him that there are gunslingers on the way. But in book 7, Finli O'Tego says that the wolves were probably killed by some sort of virus or simply died the same way all the other robots and machines died - they got old.

Why didnt Finli O'Tego tell Prentiss about the gunslingers? Didnt he believe Slightman?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Advocaat View Post
    Hi

When we first meet Finli O'Tego in the Dogan in book 5, Slightman tells him that there are gunslingers on the way. But in book 7, Finli O'Tego says that the wolves were probably killed by some sort of virus or simply died the same way all the other robots and machines died - they got old.

Why didnt Finli O'Tego tell Prentiss about the gunslingers? Didnt he believe Slightman?
    If I remember well it's mentioned many times in DT7 that it was hard to concentrate or make good decisions around that time. The end was very near, they could feel it under their skin, the Beam was about to give up and the men of the CK were way too excited. So IMHO it was easy to miss such a thing.

By the way welcome to the site.

Roland would have understood.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good points. I also think that the low men and taheen (and indeed The Crimson King and his cohorts in general) have a tendency to underestimate Roland and co. Hence if the wolves aren't appearing they must have broken down. It couldn't be this would-be newcomer gunslinger and his gun-monkeys. No way!

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I think on some level Finli had Devar Toi on alert--I recall all the guard posts and watch towers were manned and such. He simply didn't prepare well enough.

Also, I agree with what Letti says. Nerves were probably a big factor. After all, how would you feel if you knew that EVERYTHING was heading toward the end...complete darkness...nothingness. Maybe a bit of apathy factored into the lack of preparedness, too.