Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why do YOU love watching movies?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I agree with Brice here. No moment of happiness is ever wasted.
    I believe that the random must not overwhelm the purpose. I cannot justify simply doing whatever I feel like. I'll give all of you the benefit of the doubt for yourselves if you say that you see it differently, but don't expect me to abruptly start thinking that same way. I've always tried to do what needs done, as best as I can determine, and I don't mind a little unhappiness. C'est la vie. It's not all fun and games.
    seems like there's been some misunderstanding here; no, life isn't all fun and games, but life is not all watching movies, either, so I can't see how what you said contradicts what I said. What I meant is if a movie gives you one of those rare moments of happiness, if doesn't really matter whether it came from something deep and spiritually enriching, or just something silly and entertaining - if you were happy at this precise moment, it is good for your soul, and makes you better able to cope with whatever challenges the so-called real life may provide. It's the same with books: Jeeves and Wooster is very good for a troubled soul. I firmly believe that the happier we are, the stronger we are, and the happier we can make people around us. That is why I am very much in favor of entertaining movies, the soul needs them as much as it needs that other kind of movies I am so fond of - well, for me it's the "real" cinema versus the movies as entertainment, but I do believe we need entertainment as well.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah, but saying that entertainment can be good is not the same as saying that it can never be bad.

It's reasonable to say that you work better if you get 8 hours of sleep... yet not reasonable to say that 16 hours is better still. Can we devise a formula as with sleep to show the optimal amount of movie watching? No, it's not that simple, of course.

It may be true that movies can help us cope with the challenges of life, but it does not follow that that is the perfect definition of why we watch movies. I had a point I wanted to clarify, even if it does not directly contradict the side of things which you're currently considering.

I think you and Brice may have actually been closer to the truth when you were saying "There is no why." It may not be possible for any general theory to explain film, or establish rational standards for dividing the cool from the uncool. If it is possible, the theory would have to be a very complex one with many sub-clauses... and as soon as it was written, some filmmaker would set out to poke holes in it.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

It may be true that movies can help us cope with the challenges of life, but it does not follow that that is the perfect definition of why we watch movies. I had a point I wanted to clarify, even if it does not directly contradict the side of things which you're currently considering.

I think you and Brice may have actually been closer to the truth when you were saying "There is no why." It may not be possible for any general theory to explain film, or establish rational standards for dividing the cool from the uncool. If it is possible, the theory would have to be a very complex one with many sub-clauses... and as soon as it was written, some filmmaker would set out to poke holes in it.
    I don't think there is only one reason why people watch films. I think everyone watches them for various reasons. Why one person watches them could be completely different from why someone else enjoys them. And likewise I'm also sure each individual has numerous reasons for watching films and not just one. I don't think it could ever be narrowed down. So I personally would have to disagree with the statement that there is no why. To me there's so many whys.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Path: I never said "no moment of entertaining oneself is wasted". I said, "no moment of happiness". It's not that entertaining yourself is tantamount to being happy.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

So where does "enjoyment" fall?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

I just don’t feel like I have time in my life to waste.
    As long as you are enjoying yourself you can't waste time.
    That's ... short-sighted.
    To say the least.
    I agree with Brice here. No moment of happiness is ever wasted.

Country
    Country Flag

oh, I see! it's all because of re-quoting. Like, you know, we turn one word into another changing one letter at at time

happiness - enjoyment - pleasure - self-indulgence - hedonism

No, I didn't mean this. I was raising Brice's stakes.

enjoyment - happiness - catharsis

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

No, I'm certainly not so easily fixated. I have been talking about general issues. I'm still interested in whether movies are inherently good. I don't love every single one, myself. However, I suppose that the argument could be made that what is good in them is inherently subjective, so that one man's trash is another's treasure. I'm not certain yet.
    So, if we agree that catharsis is a good thing, do we have to get it from film? What makes this medium indispensable?

Country
    Country Flag

path - you're aware of course that you're not talking about movies here, but about the place and [non]significance or art in human life?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Is that bad? Sorry if I'm off-topic.

My concern is prevailing social conditions; I feel like these days movies fill a gap in many people's lives, which isn't really ideal. Of course, we never have had an ideal world, but I think that it'd be nice if we here could articulate what distinguishes healthy appreciation from compulsion. Don't mean to point fingers or to belittle any of you: It's just that it's a subject that often weighs on my mind.
    If I'm the only one who feels that way, I guess that it is good for me to find out just that.

Country
    Country Flag

No, it's not bad. I only want us both to be clear as to what we're talking about. I will think of what you just said - I never looked at it this way (although I probably should have).

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

You and I have had differences over just this type of matter for as long as we've known each other, Jean. I think that that may have to do with our very different environments. I do know something about deprivation, but I also think often about decadence, largely due to what I see around me. A lot of Americans justify behavior that doesn't really make sense in context of their affluence. I don't totally disagree with your points here. The problem is that too much distraction is just crazy.

I'm also still interested in what everyone else here might have to say. Is it possible to truly define what it is that makes the best films so special?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3