Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 160 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching right now?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

That ep was exactly what I was watching barely an hour earlier, Pond! I think Donna was the best companion since Rose at that point, and went through some interesting character development from annoying bitch to faithful companion, but re-watching it, I must admit that the stories haven't quite grabbed me as much as the other seasons (with the exception of season 2, I think: Tennant was good in that, but in season 3 he became excellent, and Rose had gone past her sell-by date, as far as interesting development was concerned, imo. I'm not saying series 2 wasn't good, it just wasn't as good as the others, I think). Still, you'll love the Moffat eps: not only are they brilliant (well, that goes without saying: anything written by Moffat is 99% of the time absolutely fucking brilliant), but the first appearance of River Song. Brilliant! Just the Unicorn and the Wasp to go, and then you've got Moffat's 2-parter!

Oh, and Amanda?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fur-nan-doh View Post
    What am I watching right now: Shaun of the Dead.
    Always a classic, that one!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that's what I think about the series as well. You have no idea how badly I want to just skip ahead to Silence in the Library...but then I would feel like a bad fan! And it still is better than 90% of television programs out there, so I hardly have room to complain. It just hasn't really grabbed me. Not like series 5.

As far as Donna goes, she did annoy me in the first few episodes - I think, within 4 eps she told the Doctor she wanted to go home! I understand it's gotta be a tough position to deal with, being a companion, but make up your mind, woman! But, as long as you say she gets better, I suppose I'll have to stick it out.
    My problem is going to be that once I finish getting through this series and the specials, what will I watch? Sure, there's tons on my list...but not Doctor Who Most likely it will be continuing Torchwood, and then UK's The Office. Also, I think Spaced is coming up on my Netlfix queue...plenty to hold me off until Christmas!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, out of all of those, Spaced is my favourite. Not easily my favourite though - Torchwood started out a bit hit-and-miss, but got really good in season 2, and became fucking brilliant with Children of Earth, and The Office is just one of the greatest mockumentaries ever made, but Spaced...that just has to be watched. One of the greatest sitcoms ever made, as far as I'm concerned. No, sorry, scratch that - one of the best tv shows ever made. Made as big an impact on me during my childhood as Dr Who did (even if, being shown after the watershed and containing references to drugs and a fair amount of swearing, it wasn't as much of a family friendly show)! You can't miss that!

And regarding Donna, you gotta be fair to her. Yes, in the 3rd episode, she did want to leave, but think about the first two adventures she had gone through after Partners in Crime:
    Spoiler:
    first she saw a whole city of people destroyed by lava and caked in ash, and she saw the Doctor not just reluctant but actually refusing to do anything about it, and then seeing an empire of slavery, not by aliens but by the human race,
    the fact is that her first couple of adventures she went through terrible things that Rose and Martha didn't even have to go through in their last stories, let alone their first! The fact that Donna wanted to go home for a moment isn't surprising in that context, but what is surprising is that she wants to stay. That speaks volumes about how faithful she truly was. And how tragic her fate was, too. Poor, poor Donna...

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I know I'm probably harsh on her at this point in the series...it's not that I dislike her. Don't that is what I'm trying to say. She just irks me more that either Rose or Donna did. And, coming from an outside perspective, I find it hard to believe anyone would ever want to leave the Doctor. That's my own personal opinion...but, you're right. I didn't have to actually go through was she did.

I'll have to look where Spaced is on my list...maybe move it up to the front if it isn't already I think it's the only one I am looking at right now I cannot watch online...plus I have to fit in Classic Who somewhere....and Sherlock! 3 1/2 more hours until episode 2

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Awesome! Episode 2 is probably the weakest of the series, if I'm honest, but considering how amazing 1 is, and how action packed, thrilling, and allround brilliant The Great Game is (which you're gonna love, trust me), that's no real surprise. 2's still a fantastic episode, anyway.

Oh, and I know you can watch Spaced for free online at hulu.com, btw.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, yeah...I always seem to forget about Hulu. I'll see what I can about it..either way, I hope to watch it very soon!

Now on to "Unicorn and the Wasp" - I'm excited about this one. I love Agatha Christie!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Watched that half an hour ago. Taking a break for some more Discworld Noir (finished reading my first Discworld novel today, yay!) and then some classic Moffat eps! Btw, what do you think of Donna as a companion now you've watched the Doctor's Daughter?

Spoiler:
    I ask simply because that's a great example of Donna's faithfulness as a companion: Martha found it easy to leave again of her own choice, after being put through a lot in that episode, but like I said, Donna's stayed when she went through a lot more in her first couple of adventures, so sticking with the Doctor in TDD's relatively easy for her to do, really. The moment Donna said, "I'll travel with that man forever," only one word went through my head: doomed. Because no companion lasts forever. If they're lucky, they leave because they fall in love or find a better life back home. These days though, companions haven't been that lucky, let's be honest. First Rose got trapped on a parallel world, then Martha decided to leave because her family got put through a fuckload of misery during a year that never even happened. (And the fact that she loved someone who didn't love her, of course.) I dread to think what's going to happen to Amy (in a very, very long time, fingers crossed!)

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Coupled with the ending of that episode and the points you made about Donna, I'm getting more used to her. That line made me sad though...especially after watching "Death of the Doctor." All those companions, all those adventures...what happens when it all ends? Or, how will it end, even?

The thing I do respect Martha about, even though she left with seemingly such ease, is that she was able to look back and realize when the time to leave was. Not everyone can do that. To have the self-awareness and strength to walk away from something that fantastic (albeit dangerous) life...and to see past all that to the harsh reality of the situation. Very few people could have done that. That would be difficult, but I see her reasoning behind it, more-so than her being an unfaithful companion.

With Amy, I can't even imagine. I mean, she's only been with the Doctor this short time, and already
    Spoiler:
    her fiance died and she completely forgot about him until he later came back and was forced to kill her, she was locked in the Pandorica for 2000 years, and not to mention all of the times she was captured, drugged, almost dissected, nearly frozen to death, almost turned into a Weeping Angel....and her relationship with the Doctor is so sweet, and unlike any others I have seen, IMO. I mean, she has physically come on to the Doctor, and is now part of the first married companion team. It's a fairly unique situation. It's going to break my heart when Pond reaches the end of the journey. As well as with Rory..I'm anxious to see where he fits in. I really like him, I do. But I know better than to think it will all work out without a hitch in the end..

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Friends.

Am I the only one who thinks that the mid episodes were the funniest? The early ones were boring, and the later ones were kind of lame at times. But the middle ones were hilarious.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked the friend episodes with Giovanni Ribisi and Tom Selleck in them. Not too big on the show overall..

I'm watching season 3 of In Treatment. It's good.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Finished watching Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead eps of Doctor Who, season 4. Of the whole season, these are my favourites. Actually, they're possibly my favourites of the whole RTD era. But then, considering they're not only written by Steven Moffat, but set up a ton of elements that Moffat will use when he takes over the show in Series 5 - including dark fairytale atmosphere, brilliant and bonkers ideas concerning time travel, being mostly free of RTD continuity, shit scary horror and of course, River Song - it's not surprising I always love watching them.

I remember the first time me and a mate first watched Silence in the Library. Afterwards we had a horror marathon, including Alien, 28 Days Later and From Dusk till Dawn. Now, I wouldn't say that Silence was the scariest thing we watched that night - that would definitely be Alien - but there were a ton of moments that came pretty close! I don't think I can ever look at shadows or even the dark quite the same way again really.

Next, Midnight!

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Neon Genesis : Evangelion. EP 1.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I'm watching the new episode of Chuck. Chuck doesn't get near the love that it should.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Is it a good show ? Admittedly I've never seen an episode of it, but it seemed very one-trick-pony to me ...

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

It is all kinds of awesome.

I came to the series pretty late, after it was saved from cancellation, but I watched all the back episodes nearly non-stop once I started. You should rent the first season or something and give it a whirl.

I started watching it so late because I thought the same thing just based on previews, but it is well worth watching.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Watching right now: Doctor Who - The Stolen Earth, the first part of the series 4 finale. What can I say about this, other than it's probably one of the most epic finales I've ever seen! And when I say epic, I actually mean it: a ton of old characters returning, with other characters from not one but two spin-offs showing up, and a helluva lot of spaceships blowing shit up! It might not be the best - especially since the series 1 and 5 finales were so flippin' awesome - but I never get tired of watching this.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Watching right now: The Sarah Jane Adventures - The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith.

Because a re-watch of Tennant's final eps would feel empty without it!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Neon Genesis Evangelion, EP 6.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

"Planets of the Dead" - Doctor Who Special

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Is it a good show ? Admittedly I've never seen an episode of it, but it seemed very one-trick-pony to me ...
    I have the blue version of the dharma initiative bodysuit you are wearing.

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Neon Genesis Evangelion, EP 6.
    Oh, I almost forgot... I love Evangelion. My husband got me into it, and I was hooked. I have the set, and the movies. Enjoy!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Watching Right Now: Torchwood - Children of Earth.

Finished Day Two and about to start Day Three. I had forgotten how good this was. Really pushes Torchwood in a completely different direction. Whilst the first series simply aimed for "like Doctor Who, but with sex, violence, strong language and the occasional fucked up storyline" and the second was great but still something that was primarily fun to watch with nice little interesting storylines, Children of Earth is, quite simply, what Doctor Who isn't: serious, strong science fiction. Oh, don't get me wrong, Who will always be one of my favourite shows, and it explores so many aspects of drama and emotion whilst throwing in some great ideas to boot, but it's not the kind of show that deeply explores what happens in a "what if?" scenario from various view points, something that looks at how something as major as alien contact can affect ordinary people.

In short, it's absolutely fucking miserable but also brilliant, at least it is the way i remember it from last time. I'll post on the Torchwood board if it's as good as I remember. The first two episodes pack a lot of punch and quickly shake things up drastically for the team, but there's still great moments of dialogue in there. When someone asks about the Torchwood base, "What's in there?" "Big, science fiction superbase!" Still like how willing it is to poke fun at itself. But the humour does decrease as the week goes on.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Waters of Mars - Doctor Who

I hope this one it better than Planet of the Dead...I didn't enjoy that one a whole lot...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ah, the Waters of Mars. That's a good one. Nice and dark, with proper scifi horror. Although I liked Planet of the Dead, at least as an antidote to all the continuity fests before it, The Waters of Mars is easily the best of the specials, imo.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

So far I like it...
    not that I didn't like Planet of the Dead, but it wasn't up to the normal level of amazing I got from the last few episodes I watched. I did love Malcolm, though! He was funny

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 160 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast