+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection : Merlin1958

Demon of the Prim Dolso is a jewel in the rough Dolso is a jewel in the rough Dolso is a jewel in the rough Dolso is a jewel in the rough Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

I'm sure that I am like most other collectors who tend to get the things they want to collect and then immediately put them on the shelf NEVER to be touched. Taking photo's and reminiscing about the purchases is really invigorating and gets the juices going again as well as looking at all you other folks magnificent collections!!!

I don't know, Its just real cool and I want to thank all the members here, moderators etc who make this site possible for allowing me to share the things I hold so dear from over the years. Unfortunately, a lot of the folks that you meet and greet with on a daily basis just don't share the passions (or OCD!!!) the same way and its nice to share them with like individuals who really appreciate the items you hold so dear.

As I think Mulleins said in his collection thread "It really is a labor of Love".

Ok enough gushing!!!!!

LOL

So true, so true.

Absolutely OUTSTANDING collection, Bill!! I like it!!
    www.bookslipcase.com

for any information -- info @ bookslipcase. com

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Roger Dean is the Artist responsible for all the album art for "Yes", "Uriah Heep" and "Asia" He's in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.
    What about that first Uriah Heep album? It had an evil looking caterpillar type thing. I always thought it was Virgil Finlay art but there wasn't any credit given that I could find.
    Well now you went and did it!!! Amusing story on how I got started collecting that stuff. I owned a Consulting firm that did A LOT of business with BOA, which has its headquarters in S.F. This was back in the days when flying meant you had to stay over for a Sat. to keep the rate reasonable. So we leave our room at the Four Seasons to go to a meeting and there is all this hoopla going on directly across the street. TV, Cameras, reporters, peeps you name it. Anyway we go to the meeting, secure the contract and come back to the hotel with nothing to do for a coupe days. So, since we're feeling good about the new contract, we decide to go check out what all the fuss earlier had been about.

Turns out, the gallery had a First time showing of Roger Dean Art. Apparently he had never sold any of his stuff before to the public, just to the bands etc. They had MTV & local media covering the event. So we go in, unsuspecting and get the royal treatment. Guy named Bob Zatko latches on to us and we kinda go with it. He takes pieces into the "viewing" area and gets us espresso
    and is fawning all over us and we drank it in, having never done this kinda thing before. But I'm a drummer and R&R enthusiast and this stuff is really cool!!! They had one of the 3 original oils of the "Yes" logo hanging there! 1 is with Atlantic records & the other Rick Wakemen has, and Roger's is right there on an easel!!!!

The guy whispers, "I have something really special to show you" and takes us upstairs and there is an original painting of the inside cover of the album "Demons & Wizards". If you've seen the album, its a really epic painting of a wizard with a bear skin covering him as a sort of cape and he's lifting his arm to cast a spell and the lining of the cape looks like Joseph's Technicolor dream coat. Well the album pic is NOTHING compared to the original piece. This thing is HUGE, like 5'x6' and covers half the wall.

So Zatko starts his spiel and we are like trying to drink this all in, acting like we really know what we're doing and might actually buy something. I mean we went this far, right? LOL So Zatko tells me, conspiratorially, that they have not really established a market for Dean yet and that I could probably steal this piece for a measly $100K!!!! I manage to not spit up my espresso and he continues on to describe the piece. Turns out one of the unique features is that for the lining of the cape, Dean used the wing of a monarch butterfly and just glued it in place and painted around it!!!

Well we manage to talk our way out, but now I like gotta buy something so I purchased the "Floating Water" signed by Dean for $800 bucks!!!! I never spent that much on a picture in my life!! I couldn't let the wife see it so it hung in my office for 2 years and she never knew. Of course, now the guy has my business card and a hint of purchasing the "Yes" logo and the rest is history. Business was good and I bought what I liked. There is a whole other story regarding how I almost actually bought that "Yes Logo" and finally met Dean himself. Another time though.

I remember the cover you are referring to Carlos and I don't think that was Roger. I believe he only did 2 or 3 albums for Uriah Heep, but I don't recall the others. i used to have all their albums, but alas along came CD's!!!! LOL What an idiot!!!!

Anyway sorry for the length of the post!!! Hope it amused some folks!!

Thought I'd go back and edit this post with the piece that I finally acquired as referenced above...

Last edited by Merlin1958; 07-27-2013 at 02:22 PM.

My Collection:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ion-Merlin1958

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy". The Outlaw Josey Wales

Holding myself to a Higher Standard!!! Retired!!!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

You know - if you ever really have to get rid of your signed Beatles stuff ... just to be a friend, I'll take it off your hands!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

Im always on the Batman rule, sir. - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, For those of you that asked here is the Disney stuff. This stuff was kinda hard to photograph as I have high ceilings and even though I'm 6'9" you need a ladder for some!!! Plus glare is a bitch, but I did the best I could. At least you get an idea. All the pieces were re-framed by me for thematic reasons except, for a couple of the sketch's. I'm kinda partial to the sketch's as they seem more "one of a kind" to me. I don't know if anyone else here collects this stuff, but Disney is an absolute WHORE for this stuff since Walt passed away. To me you gotta be real selective so I like to think I picked certain theme's and characters, mitigated a bit by the kids when they were young (Krissy, my daughter, LOVED the Little Mermaid!!) and stayed with that.

Most are what they call sericel-cels, which are Limited Edition (generally 5000) transparencies run off the original. However, since the Little Mermaid or Aladdin (I forget which) they stopped actually drawing the original cels. They do em by computer and there are really no "Originals". However, back in the day they hand drew and painted each Ceil and those can put a down payment on a home for you. I have 2 and some other choice pieces.

Enjoy!!!

"Show me Your hands"
    Disney created piece which includes original artist sketch and finished Sericel-Ceil
    If you don't know which movie, you probably shouldn't be looking!!!! LOL This was created utilizing an original Cel as the origin to the print run. One of my (and Krissy's) favorites as I love the art progression depicted

"Lady & The Tramp"
    Sketch Art, bought in the Magic Kingdom. The Disney Profiteers (LOL) take the original sketch and blow it up, frame and sell it in a limited run. Not numbered though, but the logo in the corner identifies it in the "Disney" world. I think its cool.

"Lady Villains"
    Sericel-Ceil created during the Disney attempt to own Halloween a few years back. Me? I'm a King fan so I'm partial to the "Bad-Guys"!!! LOL My wife is in the middle!! LOL Actually her best friend has two sisters so these are affectionately known in the family as the "Three Sisters" LOL

"Snow White & The Seven Dwarves"
    Sericel I love the classics!!!

"Little Mermaid Villain"
    Sold as part of that "Villains" campaign. This is not a sericel, but is a certified transfer to paper from Computer and a numbered limited series. No more true cels by this time unless they purposely create them and certify them.

"Mickey Mouse"
    Original Sketch Art. Check out the Artist notations on the right. Lousy pic though I know. What can I say?

More to come!!!

My Collection:

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    You know - if you ever really have to get rid of your signed Beatles stuff ... just to be a friend, I'll take it off your hands!
    Wow, You are Soooooo kind!!!!!!

For what its worth, there are 9,799 more out there!!!!!

LOL

My Collection:

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay now we get to some of the real good stuff. Here's some more:

"The Lion King"
    Sericel, but computer generated. Whatever happened to the "Good Old Days"? LOL

"The Prince & Cinderella"
    Sericel created from original. This is also a pretty good pic of me and the wife on our wedding day!!!! LOL This is one of my wife's favorites

"Sorcerer's Apprentice"
    Original Cel and the only piece I did not buy from Disney direct. I have full provenance on this in the safe. I always regretted the motif I let the framer talk me into as the red background takes away from Mickey and some of the added sparkly detail. Just never got around to re-framing it. It catches your eye though with that bold color. This one is the most valuable and one of my personal three jewels. I just thought as a kid back in the day that the Sorcerer's Apprentice part of Fantasia, was the "End all, Be All".

"Sorcerer's Apprentice"
    Disney created sketch art from the original. I hope Nick Cage did Mickey justice in the film!!! LOL

Ok this one is a little different. It's what they refer to as an "Enhanced Sketch". Basically what they did was trot out this poor 80+ year old original Disney Animator (Harry Holt) who worked on the early feature length films like "Snow White", They sit him down in one of the parks (this one was at Epcot I believe and they give him sketches from a recent release that are like 90-95% complete. You wait in line forever (6.5 hours for this one) meet him, he "completes" the sketch, personalizes it and then signs it. Don't get me wrong it was absolutely AMAZING to meet the guy and he was very charming to the kids, but they give him a sketch of "Aladdin" that he had nothing to do with and sit the poor guy out in the Florida sun for the day!!! least they could have done was give him a tent!!! But it was great, the kids loved it and since he has passed away its gone up in value.

"The Magic Kingdom Castle"
    This is rather unique and one of my favorites. They commissioned R. Solomon (Artist) to do a painting of the Castle. He's one of the guys that designs Xmas ornaments for them as specialty collection lines, I believe. Anyway, he interpeted the castle as it would have looked in a Disney feature film setting. This is signed and numbered 306/1000. I bought it, where else? in the Castle at the Magic Kingdom!!! Bitch getting it back to N.Y.!!!! LOL

My Collection:

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, there's more:

"Cruella DeVille"
    Sericel of the lady in all her glory!!! Part of the "Villains" promotion Pre-2000

"Arial"
    Sericel, "The Little Mermaid", can't recall if they still used hand painted cels in this one or went computer by then. Krissy loves it, even all grown-up!!!

"Aladdin & Genie"
    Sericel/Numbered (Edition 35,000) I'd have to check the paper work, but I think this may have been the official start of the "No original cel" era and they just ran off the printer and Disney "Self-Limited" them utilizing the famous "Disney Vault". Veritable money making machine they got there!!!! Pure Genius marketing!!!! Oh, and my son Billy's Favorite along with the castle.

"Minny Mouse"
    original Cel & Sketch combined. As such I think its really cool and unique. Purchased from Disney and bears certification.

"Sorceror's Apprentice"
    Sericel, prodiced from original Cel. Did I mention I like "Fantasia"? LOL LOL

"The Jungle Book"
    Sericel, produced from original cel. I like that they incorporated sketch art for the background. Makes it seem more unique.

Miscellaneous Collectibles. My wife has a thing for globes (as do I) we have too many to display (no room) and most are Xmas related and don't come out until then. Man you should see our Disney Xmas decorations!!!!! Anyway, Anniversary thimbles, Themed globes and Misc I received as gifts over the years. My wife says they have to stay out in case giver visits!!! LOL

My Collection:

Weedeater frik is a jewel in the rough frik is a jewel in the rough frik is a jewel in the rough frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is sooooo cool.
    And I bet you're going to tell us...wait, there's more......
    (Can't wait for Christmas......)

sk

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

And that's it as far as whats out and displayed. As you can imagine I ran out of room a long time ago!!!!

I won't even get started on the sports memorabilia, as I am an avid Yankee, Knicks, Jets & Giants fan, along with Joe Montana, Notre Dame and NCAA Basketball (St. Johns (sigh)Duke & Kentucky.

However, a parting photo since I was taking pics in that room anyway.

Signed by Patrick Ewing

Signed by Madison Square Garden/N.Y. Knicks Legend (Anyone remember game 7 vs the Lakers?

Willis Reed!!!!!!!!

I got this at a blind auction held at a Celebrity Golf outing for Juvenile Diabetes, where I played in a six-some (it was for charity so they assigned 2 celebs to each foursome and you hadda buy four rounds) with Yogi Berra and Lee Mazzilli. One of my limited partners at the time was Fred Mazzilli, Lee's brother. He was a great salesman. Folks in NY would invariably ask if he was any relation (Lee Mazzilli played for the Mets & Yankees and also managed the Yankees minor league team), Fred would play it up and usually they asked for a signed ball. Well, Fred had 2 cases of MLB balls at all times he'd get from his brother in his bottom drawer in his desk. He'd agree to get the customer a signed ball, go back to the office, pull one out and sign it!!!! Then send it up to the customer. It got so Lee couldn't tell the difference!!!! So whenever there was any memorabilia that even marginally involved Fred, we in the office insisted on seeing the item inscribed!!!! My fathers got a bat and a Leroy Nieman characiture signed by Lee and I have a couple balls somewhere. LOL

Anyway, Hope you all enjoyed this stuff its been a gas posting it for you all to see!!!!

If I think of anything else noteworthy I'll throw it up here. King or not. Although I got some King related stuff in the pipeline!!!!!!

My Collection:

Guardian of the Beam Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Disney stuff is great ... no-idea about the basketball stuff tho!

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

i thought I'd throw these up there for Pam, as I know she loves the comic book stuff!!!

Back in the day, my son got into the whole Superman & Comics thing when they were gonna kill him off. I bought him all the books in the "death" series and a couple extra's as at the time comics were kinda speculative. Anyway, I sort of "Created" my own collectible pieces by having the books framed. One has the four "New" Supermen and the other has the Life (opened and unopened), Death issues plus an unopened Store window advert for "Doomsday". They no longer hang in his room as he is now grown up, so I kept 'em cause they are kinda cool and there is a little kid in all of us, no?

LOL
    Last edited by Merlin1958; 02-27-2013 at 06:46 PM.

My Collection:

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's some miscellaneous pics of other Rock n Roll related items you may or maynot enjoy.

"Jimmy Page" Song Remains the Same Tour, 1977 Tarrant County Convention Center
    I have an old friend from College who went onto become a professional photographer. I paid for his ticket to this show and he would never let me have a copy of this pic. He sold it to "Rolling Stone" Mag in the day. Many years later he was in N.Y. and we met for lunch and he surprised the hell outta me by giving me a copy. Thereafter, when ever he came to N.Y. we would hook up for old times sake for a show.

"Billy Joel & Elton John" The Piano men Tour, Giants Stadium
    I forget the year, but it was in the 90's. Raymond went to this show with my wife and I. I got the pic no problem and he paid for his own damn ticket, but I got the bar tab!!!! LOL

"Billy Joel" Yankee Stadium
    Not particularly big fans, but he was in town and so was Ray so...... Great show though Joel was jazzed to be in Yankee Stadium for sure. Just Ray and I went. Dutch all the way. He's such a cheap bastard, but a great guy and Photographer, IMHO

Eric Clapton: Unplugged, signed
    Met him backstage after a show at Madison Square Garden and got his autograph. During the show he did an "unplugged set" that he finished with an acoustic version of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" that just blew me away. So I picked up the Pic somewhere to marry to the sig and create a "Collector piece". Personal fav.

"Led Zepplin" Unused tickets from the Winterlands & Fillmore West
    Picked it up in an old "hippy" shop in Haight/Ashbury. Just seemed cool and the pic was nice.

Zildjian
    Can you think of a better way for an old drummer to keep time?

My Collection:

My Mood
    Gay

i thought I'd throw these up there for Pam, as I know she loves the comic book stuff!!!

Back in the day, my son got into the whole Superman & Comics thing when they were gonna kill him off. I bought him all the books in the "death" series and a couple extra's as at the time comics were kinda speculative. Anyway, I sort of "Created" my own collectible pieces by having the books framed. One has the four "New" Supermen and the other has the Life (opened and unopened), Death issues plus an unopened Store window advert for "Doomsday". They no longer hang in his room as he is now grown up, so I kept 'em cause they are kinda cool and there is a little kid in all of us, no?

LOL
    Oh neat!!

Hmmmm....I seem to recall a black bag for the Death of Superman comic? You don't have one of those?!??

Oh, and I have a super cool signed Death of Superman Card. !! I think that's missing from your set, man!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah Pam I have the "Black Bag". It was "artistic design" that left it off the framing as the Doomsday sticker was difficult to store, So we wanted only four pieces in the frame. Seems to be two schools of thought as to the "value", but we aren't keeping it for that. Supes goes back quite a ways as an icon and just seems good to remember him.

PM me regarding the signed copy. You peaked my curiousity!!!!

My Collection:

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, for sure the black bagged copy would have been an attention-pull, and not necessarily in a good way. I love the way you framed them though. Perfect!

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Oh, for sure the black bagged copy would have been an attention-pull, and not necessarily in a good way. I love the way you framed them though. Perfect!
    Why thank you. Coming from you that means a lot!!!

My Collection:

Weedeater Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Bill, should you ever decide that you don't want the Disney stuff anymore, i shall be GLAD to take it off your hands!!

Love love love the Jungle Book one! It's one of my favs!!!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    Bill, should you ever decide that you don't want the Disney stuff anymore, i shall be GLAD to take it off your hands!!

Glad you like em!!!!! Jungle Book is one of my "Bear Necessities" as well!!!

As far as getting a hold of them, you'll have to speak to my future Grandchildren about that!!!! I also have an almost complete set of the "Collector" Video's too!!! You know all those older "Buy 'em before we lock the vault" collector tapes. I have so much Disney stuff its not even funny. Stored away is my "Fantasia" Collectors Chess set (The Balrog is the King!!), tons of Xmas stuff (ornaments, blankets, globes, a 3' high Mickey in Santa outfit that moves, Collections of figurines, complete Executive Mickey Mouse Desk set, and on and on. I stopped flying down for our annual vacation and took a luxury van so I would have room to bring back stuff!!! Back in N.Y. we had a guest "Disney Bathroom" complete with soap, shampoo, conditioner and etc. as well as floor mats, shower curtain the works!! Most of the stuff is in storage now that we downsized (Empty Nest) here in AZ. I should get rid of some of it, but the kids would kill me!! The photo's alone!! Me & Jessica Rabbit, Me and Mickey, etc, etc. My daughter has an entire autograph book with sigs from every disney character thru 2001!!

LOL LOL

My Collection:

Weedeater frik is a jewel in the rough frik is a jewel in the rough frik is a jewel in the rough frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I used to collect chess sets....Would you have a photo of the Fantasia set??

sk

Gunslinger jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd like to see that one also!

John

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post

sk
    Sorry but that one is packed away in the attic with the Xmas stuff. Maybe when we get the Xmas decorations down I'll have my Son pull it out. Its a HUGE box, but a normal (relatively) sized set.

I used to have it out on display back in N.Y., but kids are invariably drawn to it and its too valuable to be destroyed. Also, I have to make a correction, its not a "Fantasia" set its the "Disney Villians" set. Feeble mind, I recalled the Balrog King and typed on. The Balrog is the King, Maleficent is the Queen, What's his name from the "Lion King" is the bishop and the Little Mermaid Queen is the Rook. I forget the knight, but if I recall the ominous magpie/crow from one of the older features is the pawn. My memory is getting sooooo bad!!

Early onset Alzhiemer's LOL LOL

I have a Franklin Mint replica of Nueschwanstein Castle that's accessible? That's the German Castle (King Ludwig' Castle, the inspiration for Ludwig Von Duck) that was the real-life model for the Magic Kingdom Castle. Side Note: They never actually totally finished the Castle as Ludwig was considered "Crazy". His people were starving and he was building these outlandish castles in Germany (This one had a Kitchen on pulleys that rose to the bedroom so he could have breakfast in bed!!!! "Its good to be the King"!!) while his subjects starved. So one day the folks had had enough and killed him!! LOL

My Collection:

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

sk
    Something like this? Maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

Weedeater Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

As far as getting a hold of them, you'll have to speak to my future Grandchildren about that!!!!

LOL LOL

Grandpa?? Is that you????
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

sk
    Something like this? Maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

No these are carved wood and in color. I'll do my best to drag it out tomorrow or Thurs. I guess its worth it the detail is exquisite.

Plus I have to correct myself, its not Fantasia (although there are elements included) it's the Disney Villians Chess set.

My Collection:

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

As far as getting a hold of them, you'll have to speak to my future Grandchildren about that!!!!

LOL LOL

Grandpa?? Is that you????

LOL Not yet, but my Son is getting married 11/10/10 so could be soon there is a Merlin IV running around!!!!

My Collection:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast