Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherlock

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm continually impressed at how the writers and actors get the characters so right, something that I didn't think was quite so true in Guy Ritchie's first film, especially Adler. Adler's still more amoral here than in the original story, I think, but Holmes's attraction to her was certainly was portrayed better than in the film, and done in a much more subtle way.

And it's funny to think: 18 months of waiting for more Sherlock and nothing, then all of a sudden, a sequel, a 2nd series, and a new novel turn up at once! (The novel, in case you haven't read it yet Bev, is incredibly good, from what me and Pond have read so far. Again, it gets everything spot on, from the characters to the writing style to Victorian London. Marvellous stuff.)
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Which novel is that -- Kim Newman's?

I reread all the original ACD novels/collections this time last year as prep work for a short story I contributed to a Holmes anthology. Alas, the book is still seeking a publisher.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz. It's the only novel that's been authorised by the Conan Doyle Estate.

Which is Kim Newman's one? I've been aching to read more of his stuff, ever since reading his novella Time and Relative.

- Melike

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The Hound of the D'Urbervilles, a Moriarty novel.

I just ordered the Horowitz for my Kindle.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, that one! I'll need to check that out when I can! Anno Dracula first though, I think. But House of Silk is definitely worth a read if you want the closest thing to match Doyle's style.

- Melike

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I watched the first episode of S1 of this last night and LOVED it.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'd be very surprised if you didn't. I freaking love this show. It set the bar so ridiculously high for any other form of Holmes adaptation that when I watched the Guy Ritchie movie afterwards it inevitably failed to live up to it. I'll try and give it a fairer chance eventually, but the series is marvelous stuff. The 2nd ep is a little...unnecessary, which is incredibly surprising for a series 3 eps long, but series 1 finale The Great Game...well, if A Study in Pink did for Sherlock Holmes what Batman Begins did for Batman, then The Great Game is very close to being the Dark Knight.

- Melike

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I enjoyed the first episode of series 2. I got a bit lost near the end though, I need to pay more attention.

And The Woman made me feel a bit... funny.

Ha: John Watson's blog is "real" -- http://johnwatsonblog.co.uk/

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Sweet! And actually done by the guys at the BBC, to give it that extra ring of authenticity. I'm gonna have to read that when I get home!

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

yeah, I actually saw that the other night...and read through all of it. It's quite amusing....as you get through it, there are also links to Sherlock's blog and Molly Hooper's blog. All very entertaining!

Adler's twitter account (TheWhipHand) is live, too.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone else watch the finale yet?

I won't give anything away (though those who are familiar with the story won't be surprised), but that was perfection in 90 minutes of television. Not only was it entertaining, suspenseful, and funny at times, but it was one of the most emotional pieces of media I have encountered in a long time...and I just recently watched This is England '88. I have never been so emotional over a tv show...and I even knew the ending. So brace yourselves.

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I just watched the finale and even though I knew what was coming I still cried like a baby twice. There was some absolutely amazing acting taking place. Martin and Benedict deserve every possible award for what they've done. And Moffat too. More people need to watch so we can chat. And when you watch, try to have some tissues within your reach.
    ♪♪No secret, no matter how nasty can poison your voice or keep you from joy ♪♪ -- Perfume Genius

My Mood
    Yeehaw

FINALLY had a chance to watch it. Holy fucking SHIT, that was beyond awesome! Even better than The Great Game, and that's saying something! I'm gonna have to agree with Jennifer on this one: I was amazed by TIE '88, but she's right, FoR was definitely more emotional.

Can't wait for the blu-ray, now!

- Melike

It was truly impressive. Such a creative reimagiining of the Falls.

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I KNEW I'd find some friendly faces(Screen names?) talking about Sherlock if I logged on. Amazing, amirite? I think I first got into it when talking to DD about it....waaaayyy on back. Glad to see others enjoying it as well.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It's one of those series where I find it difficult to find the words to describe just how wonderful it is. Btw, STG, what did you think of The Fall of Reichenbach? Is it just me, or was that one of the most emotional and awesome pieces of television to come out in the last 5 years?

Oh, and I just got series 2 on blu-ray! Eep! So excited! Can't wait for this first day back at work to be over so I can watch A Scandal in Belgravia all over again - only this time, in HD!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post

Oh, and I just got series 2 on blu-ray! Eep! So excited! Can't wait for this first day back at work to be over so I can watch A Scandal in Belgravia all over again - only this time, in HD!
    Oh, have I mentioned how I hate you?

And yes, for the record, I could buy it region 2 and just watch it on my own region-free player, but this is something I will be sharing with loads of people, so it would be ay easier to just get region 1...which, of course, I'll want to wait for...MEUR
    Spoiler:
    But it's okay, really...I do have all 3 downloaded in HD in my computer to watch between now and then

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post

Oh, have I mentioned how I hate you?
    Many times, and yet I somehow don't think you say it enough!

- Melike

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

tFoR was phenomenal, DD. I can honestly not think of a single moment in a recent television series that comes close to the last 15 minutes of the episode. And by recent, I think from 2000 onward. I've recommended this show to just about everyone I know.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

YouTube

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by SigTauGimp View Post
    I can honestly not think of a single moment in a recent television series that comes close to the last 15 minutes of the episode. And by recent, I think from 2000 onward.
    Emotionally speaking, I'd say the final 15 minutes of the original Life on Mars matches it. Now there's an episode that messes with your emotions. But honestly, there certainly aren't that many other moments that I can think of. I mean...fuck. Fuck, I can't wait to watch it again. (Well actually, I can: I've got The Hounds of Baskerville to rewatch tonight, after all!)

I've recommended this show to just about everyone I know.
    Trust me, you're not the only one!

- Melike

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been dying to start Life On Mars, but I can't seem to find the UK version anywhere...I just keep coming across the US version, which I've heard is just terrible in comparison.

YouTube

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ask either Shannon or Jean. I definitely know that Jean's got some reliable download links to every ep of the original series. It'd be great to have your thoughts in the rewatch thread. Don't worry: only me, Jean and alkanto are actually rewatching it, everyone else is really checking it out for the first time.

As for the remake...I tried watching it, but it is in my eyes an inferior show. Some people enjoyed it, especially those that had never seen the original, but I just couldn't get into it. The actors in the original just defined their roles too much for me (and a lot of fans) to get past it, really.

- Melike

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, just finished the series. Any chance of you pointing me towards that thread?

*edit* Nevermind, found it on my own.

YouTube

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast