Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherlock

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

if you are lucky you can stream videos from netflix also. that is how i see a lot of the movies i see now.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Bumping this back up to just, you know, constantly remind everyone in the US that the best new show of the year starts on Sunday on PBS Masterpiece at 9pm (PT).

Because a truly great Sherlock Holmes adaptation that's also been modernised has to be seen to be believed. And to get a new US fanbase, of course, for those who haven't pirated it yet!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Seconded -- I got a great kick out of this series and was delighted to hear that it's been renewed for a second series

Traveler Lovely is on a distinguished road Lovely's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jamie and I just finished watching this today. I'm so happy that we'll get to see more. Although, I still call Watson 'Tim'. Anyway, the fella that plays Sherlock is effing brilliant. I just loved everything about it.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The guy who plays Watson was also Arthur Dent in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie -- and I find his behavior very Dent-ish!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

In my opinion, although a lot of us - including me - still think of Freeman as 'Tim' in the UK, no matter what role he's in, I think in under 5 years time he'll only be known as 'Bilbo' in the US, at least. After all, let's face it: Elijah Wood's only ever thought of as 'Frodo' these days, even over here!

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Tonight!
    I'll let you know what I think after it airs. I cannot wait

My Mood
    Yeehaw

You're gonna love it, Pond! Looking forward to hearing what you thought of it!

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, just finished watching "A Study in Pink"

It was simply fantastic! Who ever opted out of watching this missed a great show! I'm not going to give it a huge review, I think, until after I see all 3 installments, but the acting is great, the score was well-placed, and it's one of the best adaptations of Sherlock & Watson I've seen in a long time....

Traveler Lovely is on a distinguished road Lovely's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lewton PI View Post
    In my opinion, although a lot of us - including me - still think of Freeman as 'Tim' in the UK, no matter what role he's in, I think in under 5 years time he'll only be known as 'Bilbo' in the US, at least. After all, let's face it: Elijah Wood's only ever thought of as 'Frodo' these days, even over here!
    I think you are absolutely correct. Although, I'll still call him Tim.

I didn't like the second episode as much as the first, but the third one rocks.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I would say the 2nd ep is the weakest, but I still found it more enjoyable to watch than the Guy Ritchie movie.

But yeah, the 1st one was brilliant, and the 3rd one was just fucking kickarse!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You were more than correct on the third episode - that was phenomenal!

I really haven't had to time sit down and gather my thoughts, but let's just say it was suspenseful, exciting, took me through a good mind game, and had some fantastic shout-outs to the books.

Has there been any news as to when they will pick up the storyline again? Just leaving me with that ending...I don't know how much longer I can handle it! I need more, now!

(Added bonus: At the very end, they had a commercial for Masterpiece Contemporary on PBS next weekend....hosted by none other than David Tennant! I was not expecting to see him on PBS last night....it was pleasant surprise)

You'll have to be patient -- the next series isn't expected until late next summer.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I figured as much...which means I won't be able to secure it legally for about a year....
    I'll just have to rely on Doctor Who while I wait...what horror!

Honestly, though - I will be waiting anxiously. That ending...wow!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Knew you'd love it, alkanto! Wasn't it just amazing? Sherlock pushed to his limits, a clever, twisty plot that didn't stop for one single minute, a fast paced adventure thriller that had such a great script a lot of hollywood blockbusters could only dream to have half as interesting a plot and, best of all, it still felt very Sherlock Holmes, with him using all his deductive powers to solve crimes in as little time as possible. Again, I really do need to get round to getting the dvd!

Also, that brilliant twist at the end:
    Spoiler:
    Now, me and my mate were expecting Moriarty to turn up in the 3rd ep, that much we pretty much guessed, from the mastermind being so good at what he was doing, but when we saw who he was, we both went, "No way!" My mate who is, like you Pond, a massive Sherlock Holmes fan even went, "Jim! I should've realised! James Moriarty!" I had forgotten his first name until he reminded me. Brilliant little touch that.

And yes, making the audience wait nearly an entire year is just pure evil, especially with so few eps and an awesome cliffhanger ending, but I've gotta admit, I do prefer waiting ages for a programme I love rather than love it at first and then just get sick at how much it's on. Also, to me, these 3 episodes felt less like episodes in a tv series and more like watching an ultra-fun movie franchise on the telly every week, so it has made the wait for the next series a little bit easier when i think how long it takes for sequels to get made, sometimes.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

See, I remembered his name...if only because I recently read a bit of the books. I don't remember which one he popped up in, but as soon as I heard that name, it was a definite "YES!" moment for me!

As far as the length goes, I think it worked perfectly for this show. There are half-hour long programs I watch where I sit and wonder how much longer until they get to the point...last night, I looked at my computer and when "Holy shit, it's already 9?" It was most definitely like a movie each week. It certainly is better than most movies....
    Speaking of - this needs to be made NOW.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0av4se_430
    You think Moffat could make something work?

ETA: I guess we can't embed videos anymore? Odd...still, worth looking. It combines my two loves

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Regarding the Study in Time mock trailer, to quote Kim Pine: "That...was epic!"

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I found that last night...I certainly don't regret googling Sherlock/Doctor Who

Since then I've watched it about 5 times...and I want it to be real more each time! It does kind of portray the Doctor in a negative view, but it still is, well...epic!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just realised it's just been over a year since "A Study in Pink" was broadcast in the UK...

...and there's still no news of an air date for series 2! Oh well. On the plus side, at least I've got my series 1 blu ray to watch over and over and over again. Not to mention my complete collection of Holmes stories. I suppose that'll have to do for now.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you seen any of the set pics for series 2, Dodge? It will be very good, I think! I still can't believe we don't have a date, though. So much waiting...and after that damn cliffhanger! Hopefully I can watch it much sooner than I did series 1...

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Just read some interesting news online....http://www.denofgeek.com/television/...e_in_2012.html
    I haven't yet found official confirmation from BBC, but it looks pretty authentic. It's going to be a long year....

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Wtf?!? Bounders!!!!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep.

I can not be quite so mad at them, as the schedule was delayed due to Hobbit shooting (which, or course, they are both in!) and that is a project I am majorly looking forward to. Just wish it didn't impact one of my all-time favorite shows....

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I know the feeling, Pond.

Still, at least we've still got the first series to watch over and over again in the meantime. Which always feels less like a normal series and more like the Holmes equivalent of having something as awesome as Batman Begins and The Dark Knight with an entertaining standalone story in between. So waiting a few more months isn't as bad as, say, waiting 4 years. A strange way to look at it, I know, but it still amazes just how bloody brilliant Sherlock was.

- Melike

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast