Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: INCEPTION *Spoilers!*

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default INCEPTION *Spoilers!*

Inception Review
    Christopher Nolan follows up The Dark Knight with his best film yet.
    July 5, 2010
    by Jim Vejvoda

Writer-director Christopher Nolan explores the realm of dreams in Inception, his first film since his acclaimed box office juggernaut The Dark Knight. The sci-fi thriller's premise sounds simple enough, but its execution by Nolan is anything but. Ostensibly an international heist caper, Inception follows Dom Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio), an "extractor" whose form of corporate espionage is to invade the dreams of the rich and powerful and pluck their most tightly guarded secrets from the depths of their subconscious. "A single idea from the human mind can build cities. An idea can transform the world and rewrite all the rules," Cobb says at one point.

Cobb is an international fugitive due to a dark deed from his past that prevents him from being able to return stateside to see his children. A shady corporate titan, Mr. Saito (Ken Watanabe), offers Cobb a chance to wipe his past clean and go home. The job? Inception -- planting an idea into a mark's subconscious rather than stealing one. Saito wants Cobb and his longtime point man, Arthur (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), to invade the dreams of Robert Fischer (Cillian Murphy), the heir to an energy conglomerate who is also riddled with daddy issues. Saito wants to take out the competition so to speak.

Cobb and Arthur assemble a team that includes the forger Eames (Tom Hardy), Yusuf the chemist (Avatar's Dileep Rao), and newcomer Ariadne (Ellen Page), an architect who will literally design and build the world of the mark's dreams. Shadowing Dom in the dream realm is the enigamtic Mal (Marion Cotillard), a woman from Dom's past who threatens the entire operation. (Michael Caine, Pete Postlethwaite, Tom Berenger and Lukas Haas pop up in small roles.) The deeper Cobb and his team venture into Fischer's subconscious, the more dangerous the mission becomes and the more likely it is that they could all end up trapped there -- a seeming eternity in the time of the mind and a fate that could render them all vegetables in the real world.

With Inception, Nolan has made his equivalent to The Big Sleep (ironic given the subject matter of Nolan's film), a thriller whose near indecipherable storyline will boggle minds decades to come -- or even his 2001, a genre opus guaranteed to confound or amaze viewers. Or is it Nolan's finally realized attempt at making a James Bond film? Or a heist thriller to rival Heat? Inception is all of the above, and yet it's also a singular accomplishment from a filmmaker who has only gotten better with each film. Indeed, Inception could very well be Nolan's masterpiece.

At times evoking the works of Jean Cocteau, Stanley Kubrick, and Michael Mann, Nolan has crafted an elaborate cinematic labyrinth where, like the dreams the protagonists are invading, there are different levels, each with its own distinct palette and style. As confusing as the film can be at times (there's one point where there are at least four different storylines going on simultaneously), one never senses that Nolan himself is lost, and that's the difference between a brilliant, multi-layered narrative and a movie that's just a mindjob for the sake of being clever.

Inception may be a cerebral film, but it's still one that knows how to entertain. There are shades of the Ocean's films in the heist sequences, The Matrix at other points, and On Her Majesty's Secret Service during the snowbound finale (with Hardy as 007). And unlike some of Kubrick and Mann's films, Nolan manages to keep the viewer emotionally invested in his amoral characters, particularly Cobb, and doesn't ever let the film become too cold or remote. His top-notch cast helps him achieve that.

DiCaprio finds the tortured center of his character, a man who is part thief and part spy and whose own guilt-ridden subconscious stands to destroy his chances of succeeding at the proverbial one last job. Inception is sort of a companion piece in a way to Shutter Island, the year's other mind-bender DiCaprio thriller. Gordon-Levitt -- who, like DiCaprio, was a child sitcom actor -- continues to prove he's one of the brightest up and coming dramatic actors with his turn here. And although she has less screen time than the rest of the cast, Cotillard shines as the film's cloest thing to a femme fatale. She's certainly better served here than she was in Public Enemies (and she'd make one helluva Catwoman, but I digress).

Page has left her Juno persona behind and graduated into her young Jodie Foster period, and she is solid as DiCaprio's protege of sorts and the audience stand-in for all the necessary exposition. It was great to see Watanabe get more screen time here than he did in Batman Begins, and he finds the humanity in a greedy captain of industry out to destroy another (and possibly better) man's life and livelihood. (That's the thing to remember about these characters: They're actually bad guys who are out to ruin an innocent person's life, and yet we like them.) The biggest surprise in the cast is Hardy, who plays the suave badass of the group; seeing as how general audiences probably didn't see him in Bronson, this will be their introduction to him. If Bronson was his Layer Cake, then this is his Munich (so when Daniel Craig is no longer 007, EON would do well to hire Hardy).

On a technical level, the dreamworld special effects, score by Hans Zimmer, and cinematography by Wally Pfister are all superb. It may seem far too soon to speak of awards consideration, but Inception could be the film to do what Dark Knight didn't do for Nolan (i.e., win him an Oscar -- or at least a nomination). His decade-long commitment to this project, the depth of originality and intelligence he's brought to it, and the confidence and skill he shows not only behind the camera but as a writer demands recognition of the highest order from the industry.

Simply put, Inception is a breathtaking achievement and a movie-going experience well worth your time and investment. In a year full of 3D remakes, reboots, sequels, and empty star vehicles, one hopes audiences will reward such terrific but challenging original entertainment with their wallets.

-----

Source.

Well I for one cannot wait to see this. Christopher Nolan has never failed to impress me. His versatility, prowess behind the camera, compelling scripts, and attention to detail have made transformed him into my current favorite director.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow. It sounds awesome. I was already planning to see this, but now it is definitely a must-see-this-weekend.
    Heng Dai

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't believe this is now just getting its own thread. Feev...are you slipping?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have been looking so forward to seeing this film. It turns out I will be on a cruise the week it comes out.

Now I have to wait until I get back.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The film is receiving an overwhelming amount of positive reviews, it's almost ridiculous. I'm glad to see another Nolan film receiving such high praise, he's one of the most talented film makers currently working IMO. I cannot wait for next week !

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

4 more days ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TuSJo4dZM"]YouTube- 'Inception' Trailer 2 HD[/ame]

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I predict this to be his best movie until Summer 2012.

After seeing the trailers, I am really curious since lots of "Nolanites" (a cult of batfans who worship Nolan) say Nolan would never do anything "unrealistic." This looks pretty damn fantastic; it has me hoping he'll be able to incorporate such elements into BB3.

Along the Path of the Beam towerfan is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i had to buy the tickets in advance it is already selling out! definetly a must see!

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They showed a trailer yesterday on tv, and I changed the channel quick, because it was that trailer I heard about that goes through all the characters and says what they are. It's really long, spoilerific. You post it here, go ahead, but please warn us.

EDIT: Found it. Haven't watched it. Just easy to find due to its title. So watch at your own risk. I'm holding out for the theater:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFjAbCl6m1Q"]YouTube- 'Inception' Meet the Characters Trailer[/ame]
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

This is getting great reviews.

Peter Travers/Rolling Stone loved it.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I predict that it's the film that will finally earn Nolan his first Oscar.

Speaking of which - Pam ! It's almost time to start the 2011 Oscars thread ...

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I predict that it's the film that will finally earn Nolan his first Oscar.

Speaking of which - Pam ! It's almost time to start the 2011 Oscars thread ...
    Oscar thread. :sigh: A man after my own heart.

Is Nolan listed as producer as well?

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ebert's (spoiler free) review , 4 out of 4 stars :

----------

Inception

BY ROGER EBERT / July 14, 2010

It's said that Christopher Nolan spent ten years writing his screenplay for "Inception." That must have involved prodigious concentration, like playing blindfold chess while walking a tight-wire. The film's hero tests a young architect by challenging her to create a maze, and Nolan tests us with his own dazzling maze. We have to trust him that he can lead us through, because much of the time we're lost and disoriented. Nolan must have rewritten this story time and again, finding that every change had a ripple effect down through the whole fabric.

The story can either be told in a few sentences, or not told at all. Here is a movie immune to spoilers: If you knew how it ended, that would tell you nothing unless you knew how it got there. And telling you how it got there would produce bafflement. The movie is all about process, about fighting our way through enveloping sheets of reality and dream, reality within dreams, dreams without reality. It's a breathtaking juggling act, and Nolan may have considered his "Memento" (2000) a warm-up; he apparently started this screenplay while filming that one. It was the story of a man with short-term memory loss, and the story was told backwards.

Like the hero of that film, the viewer of "Inception" is adrift in time and experience. We can never even be quite sure what the relationship between dream time and real time is. The hero explains that you can never remember the beginning of a dream, and that dreams that seem to cover hours may only last a short time. Yes, but you don't know that when you’re dreaming. And what if you're inside another man's dream? How does your dream time synch with his? What do you really know?

Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a corporate raider of the highest order. He infiltrates the minds of other men to steal their ideas. Now he is hired by a powerful billionaire to do the opposite: To introduce an idea into a rival's mind, and do it so well he believes it is his own. This has never been done before; our minds are as alert to foreign ideas as our immune system is to pathogens. The rich man, named Saito (Ken Watanabe), makes him an offer he can't refuse, an offer that would end Cobb's forced exile from home and family.

Cobb assembles a team, and here the movie relies on the well-established procedures of all heist movies. We meet the people he will need to work with: Arthur (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), his longtime associate; Eames (Tom Hardy), a master at deception; Yusuf (Dileep Rao), a master chemist. And there is a new recruit, Ariadne (Ellen Page), a brilliant young architect who is a prodigy at creating spaces. Cobb also goes to touch base with his father-in-law Miles (Michael Caine), who knows what he does and how he does it. These days Michael Caine need only appear on a screen and we assume he's wiser than any of the other characters. It's a gift.

But wait. Why does Cobb need an architect to create spaces in dreams? He explains to her. Dreams have a shifting architecture, as we all know; where we seem to be has a way of shifting. Cobb's assignment is the "inception" (or birth, or wellspring) of a new idea in the mind of another young billionaire, Robert Fischer Jr. (Cillian Murphy), heir to his father's empire. Saito wants him to initiate ideas that will lead to the surrender of his rival's corporation. Cobb needs Ariadne
    to create a deceptive maze-space in Fischer's dreams so that (I think) new thoughts can slip in unperceived. Is it a coincidence that Ariadne is named for the woman in Greek mythology who helped Theseus escape from the Minotaur's labyrinth?

Cobb tutors Ariadne on the world of dream infiltration, the art of controlling dreams and navigating them. Nolan uses this as a device for tutoring us as well. And also as the occasion for some of the movie's astonishing special effects, which seemed senseless in the trailer but now fit right in. The most impressive to me takes place (or seems to) in Paris, where the city literally rolls back on itself like a roll of linoleum tile.

Protecting Fischer are any number of gun-wielding bodyguards, who may be working like the mental equivalent of antibodies; they seem alternatively real and figurative, but whichever they are, they lead to a great many gunfights, chase scenes and explosions, which is the way movies depict conflict these days. So skilled is Nolan that he actually got me involved in one of his chases, when I thought I was relatively immune to scenes that have become so standard. That was because I cared about who was chasing and being chased.

If you've seen any advertising at all for the film, you know that its architecture has a way of disregarding gravity. Buildings tilt. Streets coil. Characters float. This is all explained in the narrative. The movie is a perplexing labyrinth without a simple through-line, and is sure to inspire truly endless analysis on the web.

Nolan helps us with an emotional thread. The reason Cobb is motivated to risk the dangers of inception is because of grief and guilt involving his wife Mal (Marion Cotillard), and their two children. More I will not (in a way, cannot) say. Cotillard beautifully embodies the wife in an idealized way. Whether we are seeing Cobb's memories or his dreams is difficult to say--even, literally, in the last shot. But she makes Mal function as an emotional magnet, and the love between the two provides an emotional constant in Cobb's world, which is otherwise ceaselessly shifting.

"Inception" works for the viewer, in a way, like the world itself worked for Leonard, the hero of "Memento." We are always in the Now. We have made some notes while getting Here, but we are not quite sure where Here is. Yet matters of life, death and the heart are involved--oh, and those multi-national corporations, of course. And Nolan doesn't pause before using well-crafted scenes from spycraft or espionage, including a clever scheme on board a 747 (even explaining why it must be a 747).

The movies often seem to come from the recycling bin these days: Sequels, remakes, franchises. "Inception" does a difficult thing. It is wholly original, cut from new cloth, and yet structured with action movie basics so it feels like it makes more sense than (quite possibly) it does. I thought there was a hole in "Memento:" How does a man with short-term memory loss remember he has short-term memory loss? Maybe there's a hole in "Inception" too, but I can't find it. Christopher Nolan reinvented "Batman." This time he isn't reinventing anything. Yet few directors will attempt to recycle "Inception." I think when Nolan left the labyrinth, he threw away the map.

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I wanted to go to the midnight showing of this tonight but i couldn't get anyone to go with me. I'm hoping this will be the Sunday night movie my friends and I will do this weekend.
    ♪♪No secret, no matter how nasty can poison your voice or keep you from joy ♪♪ -- Perfume Genius

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I saw this movie today. I avoided reading this thread and also succesfully avoided hearing or reading anything else about it. I didn't even know Nolan directed it and who was in it!
    And I'm glad, because this whole wonderful film was such a delightful surprise to me. I loved it, it's the first movie I've seen this year worthy of the Best Picture nomination, it really made me think (I still don't understand the whole thing) in a way that makes me want to see it again to see what I missed! Can not recommend this movie highly enough!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, so everything that i've been reading so far about Inception tells me two things: one, that I will love this movie, and two, that my parents will hate it. Especially dad: unlike me, he hates being confused! So an excellent film to see with mates, but not a great family film to take the parents and grandad to see. Must keep looking!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Gay

Wow. Inception has an 84% rating at Rotten Tomatoes! Very cool.

From Rotten Tomatoes : Smart, innovative, and thrilling, Inception is that rare summer blockbuster that succeeds viscerally as well as intellectually.

Along the Path of the Beam towerfan is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I cant wait to see this mouie. iam going tonight, its going to be awsome.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I just got back from seeing, and to say that this film is amazing is an understatement of epic proportions. I'll post more in the morning when I'm not so sleepy

Traveler Grey is on a distinguished road Grey's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just saw Inception on Friday night. It was AMAZING, to say the least. Honestly, I didn't pay it any heed until my friend said to me, "Dude, come on, we HAVE to see it, I'll even pay for your ticket!"

After seeing it, I definitely owe him. Such an awesome movie.

Not much of a spoiler.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw Inception last night and to say I was blown away is an understatement.

Like Doc said, it's not for people who have grown up watching linear films. So people who are older and not used to such films, may feel lost rather quickly.

Nolan is truly a wizard.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm thinking of turning this thread into a *spoilers* thread once more people watch it so we can discuss the plot points freely without fear of ruining it for others.

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

Like I said in the general movie discussion thread, I saw this lastnight and it was amazing. It's like everything I've been wishing for in movies for the past 5 years all bundled into one. I can't wait to see it again. My friend is convinced that it was so awesome to us because we were.. uh.. high... . . .(don't judge me) but I'm more than positive that's not it at all. This movie was genuinely amazing. I can't wait to see it again. (and thanks feverish for pointing me in the direction of this thread! )
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I saw this with my dad last Saturday. Wow, the story was much tighter in this film than in The Dark Knight. The thing I really liked about this movie was that the characters we came to root for were in all likelihood the "bad guys." I sincerely hope Nolan is geared up and ready to step up the writing and directing for BB3 now.

Anyway, let's talk about the ending.

From the beginning, I took the vast ocean to be representative of Limbo and the fortress having been the place that Saito "fell into" after taking that bullet and dying. Does anyone think that the ending when we return to the fortress/palace from the beginning where Cobb washed up was just another flashback?

I took the ending where they all woke on the plane to suggest that their plan went off successfully. With this in mind, I thought the opening scenes with the aged Saito to be Cobb reflecting on him finding Saito in limbo.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

No problem

And yes, Inception is an amazing achievement by one of the most prolific directors working today. I'm certain that new elements will present themselves and others will come into sharper focus with each subsequent viewing.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast