Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Let Me In" - Remake of the Swedish film "Let The Right One In"

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default "Let Me In" - Remake of the Swedish film "Let The Right One In"

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/07/01/...ler-let-me-in/

Don't know how to feel about this. I think both McPhee and Moretz are promising young actors with great potential, but the Swedish original is a contemporary masterpiece, and in no way in need of a remake.

Your thoughts ?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well I won't lie, the trailer actually looks pretty good. But the original was perfect. We definitely don't need a remake of it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    We definitely don't need a remake of it.
    No, we don't.
    But, isn't this supposed to be the return of the Hammer films? I was/am a huge fan of their '50s/'60 movies (don't care too much for their '70 stuff) and am really curious to see how this one will turn out.

sk

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I dont think a remake is necessary, it will draw attention away from the perfectly crafted original. I am not sure how I feel about remakes in general though, I like World Cinema because I like how it has a differnet feel and look than Hollywod films etc. I like to see how other countries make films.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with sickrose. Plus, when Hollywood remake a foriegn film, it's almost implying that the original wasn't good enough in some way, or that movie goers will be too challenged by subtitles. Either way it's bordering on being an insult

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved the 50's 60's, and 70's Hammer films. Still I'm not sure about this being remade. I'd much rather they tried to make their own movies. I think it will be good. I don't think it'll touch Let The Right oNe In though.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The problem with these Hollywood remakes is that they lack the subtlety of the originals, which in most cases is what makes them special to begin with. Just by looking at the trailer for the remake I can tell that they increased the gore factor exponentially, where the original had those prolonged moments of extreme tension which made it a truly gripping film to watch.

I'm not sure if I'll give this a chance or not, but I'm sure it will nowhere near as good as the Swedish version.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I will have to go back and watch Let the Right One In. I started watching it on Netflix late one night and fell asleep. I just couldn't get into it.

I was probably just tired. I've been meaning to give it another shot.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I will have to go back and watch Let the Right One In. I started watching it on Netflix late one night and fell asleep. I just couldn't get into it.

I was probably just tired. I've been meaning to give it another shot.
    I was falling asleep the whole time I watched it. Maybe just not the fan of vampires. The thing is, I love horrors that involve children more than any other kind, but this one left me absolutely indifferent.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

*dies*

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Give it another try.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

I think I will when I decide to learn Swedish. I will need some practice anyway.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

What? There are languages bears don't know?

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

sh-sh, it's a secret

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I won't tell.

If you rescue me

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I am totally against this!

I find remakes very unnecessary. I think they are not insults for the originals. IMHO, they are products of the lack of creativity.
    Even Haneke's remake of his own movie was not even close to the original.

Tragic part on my side is I am going to watch it no matter how.

Country
    Country Flag

I, on the contrary, am totally in favor of remakes. I am talking, of course, of the real cinema, director's cinema - I am as interested to see how different directors would treat the same plot as I am interested to see versions of, say, Macbeth by Kurosawa and by Polanski. Unfortunately, the American remakes of European, Asian, or their own old movies most often look like adaptation to some - mythical, I hope - "average" intelligence and taste, lowering the level of the original beyond recognition.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post

I find remakes very unnecessary. I think they are not insults for the originals. IMHO, they are products of the lack of creativity.

Every word of this could have come from my fingers, my heart, and my mind. It is rare that a remake is worthwhile, imo.

If you rescue me

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I, on the contrary, am totally in favor of remakes. I am talking, of course, of the real cinema, director's cinema - I am as interested to see how different directors would treat the same plot as I am interested to see versions of, say, Macbeth by Kurosawa and by Polanski. Unfortunately, the American remakes of European, Asian, or their own old movies most often look like adaptation to some - mythical, I hope - "average" intelligence and taste, lowering the level of the original beyond recognition.
    Jean, this is completely different. Macbeth, Bram Stoker's Dracula, or something else... It is great for me too to see different interpretations of the same story. And, they shouldn't even be called as ''a remake''. Because they are different in some way. But, these kind of remakes are generally not for bringing a new point of view to the subject.
    I really hope that Let Me In will not be in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post

Every word of this could have come from my fingers, my heart, and my mind. It is rare that a remake is worthwhile, imo.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I usually dont have much of a problem with remakes
    EXCEPT THIS ONE

Let the right one in is one of the most amzing films ever, in swedish or with the semi-decent english dubbing they did for the dvd

I just dont like how it seems like we americans are too stupid to handle anything not specially made for us and for the most part there is little done to contradict this

If let the right one in was initially an american film there certainly wouldnt be a swedish remake!!

and I heard theyre making it in los cruces?! thats just south of where I live and is about as far from the gentle haunting snow of sweden as physically possible

this upsets me greatly
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    I just dont like how it seems like we americans are too stupid to handle anything not specially made for us and for the most part there is little done to contradict this
    This is what I've failed to understand ever since I learned, many years ago, that there was an American movie for just about every real film. I've tried to treat this problem in one of the threads long ago, - namely, that American culture seems determined to aspire to as perfect cultural isolation as possible.

Melike: I am happy to see that we think basically the same!

I usually dont have much of a problem with remakes
    EXCEPT THIS ONE

Let the right one in is one of the most amzing films ever, in swedish or with the semi-decent english dubbing they did for the dvd

If let the right one in was initially an american film there certainly wouldnt be a swedish remake!!

and I heard theyre making it in los cruces?! thats just south of where I live and is about as far from the gentle haunting snow of sweden as physically possible

this upsets me greatly
    It is, and I so deeply love everything about it.
    Same here...

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    This is what I've failed to understand ever since I learned, many years ago, that there was an American movie for just about every real film. I've tried to treat this problem in one of the threads long ago, - namely, that American culture seems determined to aspire to as perfect cultural isolation as possible.

Melike: I am happy to see that we think basically the same!
    Jean; Rosemary's Baby by Roman Polanski?!! How did you like it?

Country
    Country Flag

I loved it. So far I am deeply in love with everything by Polanski. At this very moment I am watching Frantic, and loving every moment.

Wait... we're in the wrong thread now!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I completely agree.

Also I feel like a lot of the time they dumb them down for us, and take away the essence of the film. The remake of Dark Water is one that initially comes to mind. And that's what worries me with this one being remade as well.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast