23 31.08%
  • The Stand

47 63.51%
  • Never read one or both titles

4 5.41%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wave 3B: It vs. The Stand

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Wave 3B: It vs. The Stand

vs.

This is the third and final round of our 2010 Constant Reader Awards. Please vote for the book you would rather re-read. The winner receives 0.1 points added to its score previously acquired in the first two rounds.

If you haven't yet read either book or both of them, please vote Never read one or both titles. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No doubts here: The Stand
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is the moment of truth.

The showdown.

The ultimate battle.

The Armageddon.

Bears say It.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I do love The Stand, but couldn't It just win once?! It's a better story.

I'm with the Bear

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I choose IT as well. It was much more multi-faceted in the social issues that the story delved into and made me care much more about its characters than The Stand. The Stand is overrated IMHO.
    Heng Dai

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I concur with your humble opinion!

Gunslinger Apprentice Resident Chris is on a distinguished road Resident Chris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Veeery Hard... but.... IT!
    My Wishlist: Gift Editions
    Green Mile
    Talisman
    One for the Road
    It Gift Ed.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I choose IT as well. It was much more multi-faceted in the social issues that the story delved into and made me care much more about its characters than The Stand. The Stand is overrated IMHO.
    I don't think The Stand is overrated, I love it immensely and don't really know any story that would give a deeper analysis of both society and characters under apocalyptic circumstances... But It is so sweetly and painfully personal, it's like the story of my own life being retold at a different angle on every page... the only other I know that possesses the same peculiar force is Duma Key, but much as I love that one, It is better. In fact, the only King novel I know that is - marginally - second to It is the Stand; but yes, only marginally.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The Stand. I have never been fan of IT.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love them both, but I think IT is the better book.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Never read one or both titles

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Stand. I loved IT, but I just wasn't as sucked into the story as I was with The Stand. Maybe I'm just a big fan of epic, apocalyptic stories, though!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

It.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

IT. My favorite novel. literally. My favorite.

Country
    Country Flag

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

It......oh wait....did I already say that?
    Sloth Love Chunk

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Hardest one yet......IT!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

The Stand ....

.... and how did Feev get by without having read either of these!?!?
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Everybody who has voted for It gets a special bearhug. Bears know it wasn't easy to vote against something as really truly great as The Stand... hard choice, but you did it!!!

It has exactly 19 votes now... exactly 19 special superhugs! (I know I have voted too. The extra hug goes to Lady Linda, my Queen)

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Everybody who has voted for It gets a special bearhug. Bears know it wasn't easy to vote against something as really truly great as The Stand... hard choice, but you did it!!!

It has exactly 19 votes now... exactly 19 special superhugs! (I know I have voted too. The extra hug goes to Lady Linda, my Queen)

Awesome. I voted for It in every single poll.
    *Means I deserve hugs too. *

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think I voted once for It, sorry friends. It was a good novel, but I don't think it was a great novel. In places it was a chore to read.

Country
    Country Flag

one more personal bearhug for Melikie

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really feel like this is skewed by popularity. I was thinking today that sometime this year we should have something of a summit regarding these two books. We create a uniform criteria for grading the books in a number of areas and then the summit committee reads each book together and discusses merits and downfalls as they progress through each title, scoring the books in each area while everything is fresh.

Does that sound like something you (any member reading this) would find interesting or worthwhile?
    Heng Dai

Country
    Country Flag

I can see it now:

TheDarkTower.com Presents a Symposium on the Classification of Stephen King's Most Enduring Works: Classics or Hype? Guest Speaker: Stephenie Meyer.

(Sounds like a cool idea, Aaron.)

Country
    Country Flag

::shrugs::

I loved both the novels in question most of all even when I had no idea anyone else in the world loved Stephen King besides me, or at least appreciated him as someone else than the author of "horrors". I will participate anyway, but for me the answer to the question is much too obvious. Also, I don't believe in grading: as I said before, - and am very thankful to Mike for agreeing - a perfect novel will prevail over an imperfect one if separate positions are evaluated, though perfection has little to do with greatness, depth, importance and impact on the readers. If it wasn't so, we would all be readers solely of Flaubert or Maugham (God forbid), while such imperfect authors as Dickens or Dostoyevsky would be totally forgotten.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast