Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: the DT movie thread

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Though I don't agree with you choice, I find your comments hilarious Jean and Sia Joshua.

You guys rock

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

That's why I think of Scott Glenn from when he was in Silverado, or even as the bad guy in Urban Cowboy. Just a real mean bad ass look to him.

Gunslinger Apprentice Sai Joshua is on a distinguished road Sai Joshua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I am sorry - I hadn't watched too many westerns before I read TDT (or after, for that matter), and that may be the reason I never ever imagined Roland as Eastwood, or the whole setting as western-ish. I watched some Eastwood movies, though, and for me he seems as Rolandish as, to quote Sai Joshua, "a little bitty kitty does a tiger". (My apologies to all Eastwood fans. Just a personal opinion.)
    Sorry Jean if you thought I was pickin' on ya. I think that we all will be surprised when they pick Roland. I just don't want some Hollywood pretty boy to get it who can't act his way out of a paper bag. Hugh Laurie is a good actor, but I can't see him as Roland. Now Hugh Jackman, my eyes were opened to that possibility when I saw him in "Oklahoma" yesterday. I think he would be as good a candidate as Josh Brolin.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Joshua View Post
    Sorry Jean if you thought I was pickin' on ya.
    the thought was the furthest possible from my mind!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

OK I gotta say it, Hugh Laurie looks about as Rolandish as a little bitty kitty does a tiger.
    *high fives Joshua* Total agreement!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ikilledthecrimsonking View Post
    I forgot about Whoopi

i wonder if she would mined if we cut her legs off with a subway
    They did it with Gary Sinise in Forrrest Gump.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

OK I gotta say it, Hugh Laurie looks about as Rolandish as a little bitty kitty does a tiger. The characteristic I am looking for when it comes to Roland is GRIT. Look it up. You will see a definition of Clint Eastwood beside it with something referencing John Wayne as well. I don't see an ounce of GRIT anywhere around Hugh Laurie. As I said before he is a great actor and has the ability to be a chameleon, but would you expect Hugh Laurie to come out guns blazing and save you from the baddies? I am thinking a big NO on that one. He may talk them to death, but certainly not shoot them to death.
    I see some serious grit when he is dry chewing that vicodin

I just think the man has the indifferent, dry type humor that the part needs. Weather or not he could shoot em up and kill em all remains to be seen because I don't think his House character will ever have to do that.

I think he has the depth to play it for sure, no question.

And I agree with Jean, Clint was never my choice for it. Too easy for one thing
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

John F. Kennedy Katet is on a distinguished road Katet's Avatar

I never thought of Hugh Laurie in that way, and at first I was just like "No, now way could he be Roland." But now that I think about it I guess he would be alright, I don't think his voice is right though (lol I just happen to be watching House at the moment.)*shrugs*I always imagine Roland with a deep and commanding voice and Hugh doesn't sound right.

John F. Kennedy gunslinger19 is on a distinguished road gunslinger19's Avatar

I have given this a lot of thought over time, like most DT fans have I am sure. There are only two characters in mind that I have casted. So here is my defense of Hugh Laurie as Roland.

Roland - Hugh Laurie
    He is tall, thin, has very blue eyes, wears the scruffy unshaven look very well, has already played a character who everyone thinks is an prick, but at the same time immensely talented, and is a terrific actor

Eddie - Ed Burns
    He might be a little too old now, but my defense for this one is Saving Private Ryan. Watch it again and you will see that Ed Burns has already played Eddie Dean, he just didn't know it.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yay! Another Hugh Laurie as Roland fan.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't make me break out that Black Adder clip again!

John F. Kennedy Kyonn is on a distinguished road

When I think of Roland I used to think of a 6'4" Roy Keane

For those who don't know who Keane is

Susannah I sometimes think of this actress I used have a crush on as a kid named Victoria Rowell (pics below)

I never really had a clear mental picture of Eddie, Jake or Oy.

Traveler strut95 is on a distinguished road

Default Another Iidea for Roland

Ok, bear with me on this, but I'm kinda of shocked that no one has mentioned Kurt Russell as a good choice for Roland. He has the eyes and the intensity. In my opinion, he is a great actor. He has done a little bit of everythng and has a broad range. And, although it isn't my absolute favorite western, he did well in Tombstone. I understand why people would like to see the Clint Eastwood from 40 years ago, but that is pointless. He is too old to do it now. And now there are rumors of a film adaption of the Dark Tower series. I truly hope that they don't make it into one of those crappy tv mini-series jobs. I hope they do feature film(s) with A-list actors and a healthy budget. Roland deserves no less. That leads me back to Kurt Russell! I don't really have any solid ideas for Eddie or Suzanna, but there are plenty of talented people to choose from these days.
    Personally, I've actually been dreading a film version of the Dark Tower series. Dreading because, in my opinion, all previous film and TV versions of King's books have truly sucked. Thats especially hard to swallow since many of them had the potential to be great.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

ReallY? You didn't like Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, or Stand By Me even?

As for Kurt Russell. He's a good actor, but I just can't see it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Or lets add Misery to that list--Kathy Bates won an Oscar didn't she?

But I think Kurt is a little too blond and also too old

Guys gotta be 60. I understand my guy Hugh is also up there a bit but he could at least pull off a little younger for the flash back imo.

I've decided Mac (from the PC/Mac commercials and recently Die Hard 4) should be Eddie.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I've decided Mac (from the PC/Mac commercials and recently Die Hard 4) should be Eddie.

I haven't seen the 4th Die Hard yet but maybe he could do it.
    Even though I know Eddie was relatively young, I have a picture in my head of somebody that looks older than early twenties.

Traveler strut95 is on a distinguished road

Default Whoops..I was hasty :doh:

Sorry, I wasn't thinking of those specific movies when I said that. That was too general of a comment on my part. Not all of King's movies are terrible. When I said that, I was thinking of movies like Pet Cemetary, Night Shift, Needful Things, Salem's Lot (both versions, but especially the newest), Ride the Bullet, Room 1308, Sleepwalkers, Dreamcatcher, Secret Window, ect. The movies Brice mentioned didn't really focus on the supernatural elements (except for The Green Mile) so I tend to forget about them when I think of King. Btw, I do think the movies on Brice's list are all excellent. I also love Kubrick's "The Shining." I guess I wish there were more hits like those than misses like the movies I listed.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Clint Eastwood - Roland
    John Cusack - Eddie Dean
    Wanda Sykes - Odetta/Susanah
    I'm actually not sure about Jake
    Not sure about Callahan either

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd cast the guy who played "Mouse" in The Matrix, as Dinky Earnshaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    Clint Eastwood - Roland
    John Cusack - Eddie Dean
    Wanda Sykes - Odetta/Susanah
    I'm actually not sure about Jake
    Not sure about Callahan either
    The first 2 really work if we had a time machine. But Wanda Sykes is no where near young or pretty enough to play Susannah.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

All this talk of people being too old, yet Roland is over 1000 years old and has debilitating arthritis by book 5.

Oh, and though the rest of the remake mostly sucked, I really liked how James Cromwell played Callahan in the newer miniseries version of Salem's Lot.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    All this talk of people being too old, yet Roland is over 1000 years old and has debilitating arthritis by book 5.
    That might be true for his chronological age but I always got the sense that Roland was in late 40's early 50's by the series. (The same age as King at the time). And Eddie is about 24/25 when we first met him in "The Drawing of the Three"

John F. Kennedy flair is on a distinguished road

I always thought of eddie as a younger Steve Buscemi

Quote Originally Posted by flair View Post
    I always thought of eddie as a younger Steve Buscemi

Eddie's described as being a handsome "Frat boy type", not sure if a young Steve Buscemi fits that description.

John F. Kennedy flair is on a distinguished road

It works in my head, always has pretty much. He doesn't look nearly as bad in that picture, almost perfect for the role to me considering how well he fits every other description ((in my own head, obviously). I guess I think of frat boy type in a bad light too. Ahhhh, too many years in a college town I guess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast