Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: the DT movie thread

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Sympathy For The Devil View Post
    I love Bruce camobell but id keep expecting him to say, "Groovy!" or, "Gimme some suger baby!".
    Yeah, it'd take a few minutes to not see him as Ash, but I think he'd be an excellent choice. I'm also glad some others have suggested Hugh Laurie, as I think he would be a great Roland Deschain, particuarly the look of his face and eyes. He looks like he has been questing for the Tower his whole life. It'd also be an interesting turn to go from playing the mega-sarcastic House to playing Roland who doesn't understand sarcasm. The last time I re-read the series this spring, I pretty much envisioned Laurie as Roland and it worked perfectly.

A few other casting choices in my personal version, Eric Bana as Eddie. I used to think Tim Roth, but he's a bit too old now to play a 21 year old. I think Jamey Sheridan did a great job as Randall Flagg in the tv "The Stand" and would prob want to see him again as Flagg/Walter [perhaps with better hair than the mullet in the stand].

Truth be told, if I had my choice of how it would be presented as a series of films, I'd prefer an animated version, perhaps based on the artwork for the comic series.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Jimmy and I were talking about this last night, and he brought up a point that I agree with. I had chanced across the Narnia movie last weekend and was very impressed with the quality of the CGI - there was one scene that showed Aslan walking from behind, and they even put muscle jiggle in there each time he took a step. It was perfect. Jimmy observed that CGI is getting to be more and more seamless with reality each year, and that if we waited maybe another five years or so, the Dark Tower could be done in CGI and we could have a Roland that looks like a young Eastwood.

I kinda dig that idea.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

When it gets time for all the East Stoneham/Turtleback Lane stuff, I'd cast John Cullum as John Cullum. The actor John Cullum will be known to anyone who wacthed Northen Exposure as Holling Vincouer. He has also done several episodes of Law & Order and about a million other things. I think he'd be perfect as King's Cullum.

The Master sai blaine is on a distinguished road sai blaine's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland!

How about Dick Cheney as the Crimson King?

Aerion

Someone mentioned Eddie as being a hansome frat-boy or some such; why not Ryan Reynolds for Eddie. He has that fast-talking, sarcastic humor I imagine Eddie having.

As for Roland. Does anyone remeber the scene in Tombstone when Wyatt is confronting Billy bob Thornton? When Wyatt says, "Damn right you're scared, I can see that in your eyes." Holy smokes, Kurt looked awesome. I was afraid for Billy Bob's life!
    Last edited by Aerion; 12-17-2007 at 07:10 PM. Reason: no good reason.

Traveler Hixson Of The Eld is on a distinguished road Hixson Of The Eld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Why a Movie

I don't want the books tainted by a movie. If you must though the only man that could ever fill Rolands boots is Clint Eastwood, much younger of course, but him and only him.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

But...that's impossible
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    But...that's impossible
    No way dude, just grab the the Unfound Door and I'll bring Black 13 and we'll go back and grab a younger Clint.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    Jimmy and I were talking about this last night, and he brought up a point that I agree with. I had chanced across the Narnia movie last weekend and was very impressed with the quality of the CGI - there was one scene that showed Aslan walking from behind, and they even put muscle jiggle in there each time he took a step. It was perfect. Jimmy observed that CGI is getting to be more and more seamless with reality each year, and that if we waited maybe another five years or so, the Dark Tower could be done in CGI and we could have a Roland that looks like a young Eastwood.

I kinda dig that idea.
    Me too. That would be a different spin on who to cast as Roland. Whose voice is closest?

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Don't throw things at me, but I have never liked Clint Eastwood...

I would cast perhaps Hugh Jackman or Thomas Jane as Roland. (anyone see him in the Mist? He was amazing!)

I do like the idea of Ryan Reynolds as Eddie...

Christopher Walken as Walter...

But if we're going to bring back people from the dead, or reanimate them, I would love to see Jonathan Brandis as Jake.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

After watching Mean Creek last night, I think Rory Kulkin could do a passable Jake.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

This site has gone to great lengths to cast the movie and explain their reasoning.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    This site has gone to great lengths to cast the movie and explain their reasoning.
    A lot of VEREY interesting choices there, and some that I'm kind of surprised that I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I've gotta say that I don't get at least 90% of their choices. To each his own I suppose but Peter Berg as Eddie? It's thinking like that which makes me hope it never does become a movie.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That site is fairly outdated i think Jerome. Hayley Osment and Angela Basset are far too old to play Jake and Susannah, by about 10 years.

(I just noted at the bottom it looks like it was put together in 1998, which would make sense given the choices.)
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It certainly is outdated, but they did put a lot of time and effort into it.
    It also shows that current thoughts could be 10 years stale-and the movie yet to be made, a decade from now.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good point ;P
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Along the Path of the Beam timtempest6 is on a distinguished road timtempest6's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have all 7 books on cd and can't go to sleep without them playing, and i know a movie would in no way live up to the book but I still want to see it just to put a face in my mind of the people. all I can see of Roland is a cowboy hat and blue jeans, Eddie is a white shirt, Sue is a wealchair with arms, and Jake is a boy with dark hair even tho I know he has blond hair.

thats just the pictures i get. i know its weird.....

As far as actors I think Tom Cruise for Walter or Johnny Depp

John F. Kennedy ENDER1984 is on a distinguished road ENDER1984's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default If DT movie WAS made, who would be in it???

The only person i know for certain, would be Edward Norton as Eddie. I have about 15 different rolands in mind.....what do you guys think???

Quote Originally Posted by ENDER1984 View Post
    The only person i know for certain, would be Edward Norton as Eddie. I have about 15 different rolands in mind.....what do you guys think???
    I think if you had a time machine Edward Norton is a great choice. Unfortunately he is now too old to play Eddie. I'm not saying he looks "old" or anything, but he definitely could no longer play 25 convincingly.

Traveler Big Coughin' Hunter is on a distinguished road Big Coughin' Hunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is my 2 cents.

I think the perfect director for this movie would have to be a fan, first and foremost. While I like all the directors names in this thread so far, I might be going out on a limb here but, I think they might put their egos before the film. "I'm a director so I'll change this and this and this." But like I said I might just be going out on a limb about this.

The director of the Dark Tower film would have to ask him or herself this question, "Can I bring this project to life, while pleasing the hardcore fans of the series AND and at the same time draw in new fans of the film AND try to make the money back that it cost to film this monster?"

Next, it would be very, very hard to put all of this material, 7 books, into a film and make it work. You'd need very good writers to make this work. After that, storyboard the heck out of it. Perhaps the only person that could work on a script that would even be suitable would be Sai King himself. And even that might be a stretch.

And if it even made it this far, you'd have to find suitable actors and actresses for the job. This might even be harder than shoe-horning the books into script-form. Again, egos and countless other small problems that would arise during pre-production and auditions might drive a person nuts.

And on top of all that, you'd need a good producer to oversee this entire project. A good producer and EVERYBODY on this project would have to work with each other for at least 6 months (rough estimate) to finish the film. And that's just one film! What if it's decided they're going to make 3 or 4 or even 7 films!

Wow!

It would be very, very hard to make this film. This may or may not be the problems this DT project would face. These are only some of the things I've been thinking of while reading the series.

I don't have any Hollywood credentials at all but I consider myself a screenwriter. And I'm only an amateur. And a screenwriter in Hollywood might be at the bottom of a totem-pole.

Many, many hurdles on the road to a DT film!

Again these are only my personal opinions.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I like what you wrote there Big C JJ Abrams is a major King and DT fan, I think thats why King felt comfortable with him getting involved.
    Theres a good interview somewhere where he meets JJ, Damon and Carlton (all Lost producers/writers) I'll see if I can find it...

Traveler Big Coughin' Hunter is on a distinguished road Big Coughin' Hunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cool, I'd like to read that.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast