Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 73 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1809

Thread: the DT movie thread

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

I am jumping on the Viggo train............He's not exactly the Roland in my head but close enough that I'd be happy!!

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Even though I have reservations about Viggo playing Roland, I would definitely prefer him over Javier Bardem.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no doubt whatsoever that Javier can act the part, he just doesn't look the part ... if that makes sense.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I have no doubt whatsoever that Javier can act the part, he just doesn't look the part ... if that makes sense.
    My thoughts exactly! Javier to me looks like a big coffin hunter.

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's it! No offense to Bardem, he's a fine actor, but he just doesn't fit Roland's description, and I'm afraid if he's given the part he will ruin it for me

Traveler JakeFatal is on a distinguished road

viggo all the way c'mon now

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I would suggest Viggo before Bardem. My only problem is, Viggo will always be Aragron in my mind, and I don't want to be watching TDT and see Aragron through the whole thing. Does that make sense to anyone else?
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by velcro_fly View Post
    I would suggest Viggo before Bardem. My only problem is, Viggo will always be Aragron in my mind, and I don't want to be watching TDT and see Aragron through the whole thing. Does that make sense to anyone else?
    Exactly! I'm totally with you on this one. I've been saying all along that having Viggo play Roland will only cause unnecessary comparisons and detract from TDT story value. It must be a separate story, not some weird twist on the LOTR - which, I'm afraid, might happen with Viggo starring.

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by velcro_fly View Post
    Exactly! I'm totally with you on this one. I've been saying all along that having Viggo play Roland will only cause unnecessary comparisons and detract from TDT story value. It must be a separate story, not some weird twist on the LOTR - which, I'm afraid, might happen with Viggo starring.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think comparisons will be made unless they make him look the same as he did in LOTR. I don't think most people would realize they were even the same actor.

Citizen of Gilead kluker is on a distinguished road kluker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't know who he was till I looked on IMDB

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by haunted.lunchbox View Post
    I don't think comparisons will be made unless they make him look the same as he did in LOTR. I don't think most people would realize they were even the same actor.
    I was thinking that too. I don't think the two characters look even remotely similar so that shouldn't be a worry.

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe. I've just noticed that wherever I discuss possible candidates for the role of Roland, people inevitably mention "that guy who played Aragorn". So I'd say that a lot of people will recognize him - precisely because in LOTR he had the same kind of look that they also associate with Roland. It's not like the role requires him to wear a full beard or mustache that will make him unrecognizable.

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post
    Maybe. I've just noticed that wherever I discuss possible candidates for the role of Roland, people inevitably mention "that guy who played Aragorn". So I'd say that a lot of people will recognize him - precisely because in LOTR he had the same kind of look that they also associate with Roland. It's not like the role requires him to wear a full beard or mustache that will make him unrecognizable.
    That may be true in this forum, because many people have invested interest in this movie. For the general public; however, not many people are going to have heard of TDT, or even know to compare it to LOTR. Most of the public would probably not even recognize Aragorn out of costume. Unfortunately, the public is not going to hold the same perception on who should get cast. Many of them may swoon if someone like Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp gets cast as Roland, when in reality, they don't fit the role from the book that well. I'm almost nervous because they are going to be torn between satisfying a very small number of people who love the dark tower, and a very large number of people who are the general public... the GP is probably going to win.

Country
    Country Flag

I see your point. I wasn't speaking specifically about this forum - even my DH thought of Viggo (and also Hugh Jackman) when we were discussing a possible movie.
    I guess what I'm concerned about is that LOTR has such a huge fan base that anyone associated with it will automatically bring LOTR along, wherever they work next. (Although I know that many LOTR fans were less than happy with the screen adaptation.)

I share your concern about someone totally off being chosen for the role solely because of star power. That would be a shame.
    As much as I like Johnny Depp - he will not pull it off.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I wonder about fan reaction if they cast will smith as roland...

Country
    Country Flag

I sure hope they understand there has to be a limit to gender/race/etc. blind casting!?!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, there was the hobbit guy that got in trouble for not casting biracial hobbits. I'm all for diversity but I can understand why they would want a specific type to play the hobbit role. I wouldn't expect to play martin luther king in a movie.

Country
    Country Flag

Yep, I was thinking about that same thing and that exact situation. Going overboard with diversity can be a disservice to the story and the author.

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

I think this cast is going to have to be totally representative of diversity just to fit the story as written. Roland is old and handicapped, Eddie is a junkie, Jake is a kid, Susannah is not only a woman and black but is handicapped as well, Rosalita is hispanic, and then there's Oy, the Taheen, and others who are not even of the same species.

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blavigne View Post
    I think this cast is going to have to be totally representative of diversity just to fit the story as written. Roland is old and handicapped, Eddie is a junkie, Jake is a kid, Susannah is not only a woman and black but is handicapped as well, Rosalita is hispanic, and then there's Oy, the Taheen, and others who are not even of the same species.
    and that's only a very small sampling of the characters involved!!

Country
    Country Flag

Oh yes! There is a really diverse crowd in the story, so I guess no one will have reason to complain that they've been overlooked.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I will be upset if they try to cast 'pretty' people in all the spots. I could just see Justin Beiber being cast as Jake.

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

I will be upset if they try to cast 'pretty' people in all the spots. I could just see Justin Beiber being cast as Jake.
    Oh gosh I hope not!! I personally think that Jake is one of the lead roles that would be good for an unknown, the next up and coming star.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blavigne View Post
    Oh gosh I hope not!! I personally think that Jake is one of the lead roles that would be good for an unknown, the next up and coming star.
    I could see David from Lost playing Jake.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 73 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast