Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Shining novel Vs The Shining movie.

Hybrid View

Gunslinger Apprentice Jack Torrance is on a distinguished road Jack Torrance's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Shining novel Vs The Shining movie.

Hello I just wanted to get some opinions on what you liked better?

The Shining the movie or the Novel.

Also what do you think of the endings in each?
    "You've had your whole F***ing life to think things over, what good's a few minutes minutes more gonna do you now?"

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Torrance View Post
    Hello I just wanted to get some opinions on what you liked better?

The Shinning the movie or the Novel.

Also what do you think of the endings in each?
    There's only one "The Shinning," and that's the Halloween Simpsons episode.

Gunslinger Apprentice Jack Torrance is on a distinguished road Jack Torrance's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Haha I have never watched it. I will do so now though.
    "You've had your whole F***ing life to think things over, what good's a few minutes minutes more gonna do you now?"

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think he got the joke J and Y. But that's exactly what I was thinking.\

And to answer the question.....The novel....always.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

In a nutshell, I love both versions of The Shining to death, but in different ways, and I'm glad both exist. The ending to the novel is a little odd, but not so much in what happens as how it happens. The ending to the movie is odd but there that's the point--it leaves you thinking.

In sum, they're two very different animals, and I love both for different reasons.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    In a nutshell, I love both versions of The Shining to death, but in different ways, and I'm glad both exist. The ending to the novel is a little odd, but not so much in what happens as how it happens. The ending to the movie is odd but there that's the point--it leaves you thinking.

In sum, they're two very different animals, and I love both for different reasons.
    I would agree. I like the novel ending the best. I think if the movie would have had some more of what the novel had I.E. the moving hedges, and the basement scenes, it may have been better.

Jack Nicholson was the only person who could have played Jack Torrance in my mind.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post

I would agree. I like the novel ending the best. I think if the movie would have had some more of what the novel had I.E. the moving hedges, and the basement scenes, it may have been better.

Jack Nicholson was the only person who could have played Jack Torrance in my mind.
    Agree on both accounts.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I don't think he got the joke J and Y. But that's exactly what I was thinking.

You are right the joke went right over my head. I am sorry.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

The Simpson's episode was called The Shinning (pronounced like the lower part of your leg.) The movie and book are called (and spelled) The Shining (with the long "i" sound)

But we all know what you meant.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

The Simpson's episode was called The Shinning (pronounced like the lower part of your leg.) The movie and book are called (and spelled) The Shining (with the long "i" sound)

But we all know what you meant.

Wow Fail on my part! I am too blonde for my own good.
    Or too Polish

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I too, am blonde.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I too, am blonde.
    Yeah? Is that why you helped me there? Us blondes have to stick together!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

This thread should be moved to The gem Theatre I think if someone doesn't mind sending it along to us.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    This thread should be moved to The gem Theatre I think if someone doesn't mind sending it along to us.
    Your wish is my command. 1 day redirect.
    Heng Dai

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I didn't like the movie at all; especially not Jack Nicholson in it. If it was an original screenplay, I might have liked it to at least an extent, but not after I read the book. In the book Jack Torrance is a real live man who tries to fight both his inner demons and the ones who come get him from the outside, and succumbs to both, - and it's that story that was so dear to me in the book. Nicholson is brilliant, he definitely steals the show, he shows off, he is irresistible, he is a total genius in this, basically, one-man performance, he is funny and scary and positively hypnotizing - and given all that, he is anything but a real man you could sympathize with. For me he is as far from the Jack-in-the-book as possible. (And the rest of the movie is just plainly pathetic.)
    If you can separate it from the book mentally it's an enjoyable and entertaining movie I think. I think the problem is we know what it could have/should have been. If Mr. Nicholson could have supressed that over the top shit until the end and acted more sublimely and progressed to that point I think it would have been brilliant. I still have fond memories of the film though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thank you, sir!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I didn't like the movie at all; especially not Jack Nicholson in it. If it was an original screenplay, I might have liked it to at least an extent, but not after I read the book. In the book Jack Torrance is a real live man who tries to fight both his inner demons and the ones who come get him from the outside, and succumbs to both, - and it's that story that was so dear to me in the book. Nicholson is brilliant, he definitely steals the show, he shows off, he is irresistible, he is a total genius in this, basically, one-man performance, he is funny and scary and positively hypnotizing - and given all that, he is anything but a real man you could sympathize with. For me he is as far from the Jack-in-the-book as possible. (And the rest of the movie is just plainly pathetic.)
    If you can separate it from the book mentally it's an enjoyable and entertaining movie I think. I think the problem is we know what it could have/should have been. If Mr. Nicholson could have supressed that over the top shit until the end and acted more sublimely and progressed to that point I think it would have been brilliant. I still have fond memories of the film though.
    Right. That's why I described it as I did. I do love it, but it is not The Shining.

I should watch the miniseries again and see if I enjoy it as much as I did the one time I saw it with a group of friends (when it aired - I know I've mentioned it). *ponder*
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thank you, sir!

I agree brice you have to separate what you are reading from what you watch, and I enjoyed both.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Adore the book and just didn't like the (theatrical) movie. Nicholson was good (duh!) but just too over the top for me. They just left too much out. Liked the mini-series with Steven Weber much better though.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Adore the book and just didn't like the (theatrical) movie. Nicholson was good (duh!) but just too over the top for me. They just left too much out. Liked the mini-series with Steven Weber much better though.
    There's lots of other points to distinguish the two versions; it's valid for you to have that preference, but I'd just like to point out that Weber was at least as much "over-the-top" as Nicholson.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    ... I'd just like to point out that Weber was at least as much "over-the-top" as Nicholson.
    Possibly, but I never had the hots for Nicholson and Weber makes me

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    ... I'd just like to point out that Weber was at least as much "over-the-top" as Nicholson.
    Possibly, but I never had the hots for Nicholson and Weber makes me
    Agreed 100%.

PLUS.

Jack Nicholson's Jack Torrance looked batshit crazy from scene one.

In this order:

1) The novel.
    2) The mini-series for its more accurate adaptation.
    3) Kubrick's story by the same name with the same characters in the same hotel with the same ghosts, but really isn't The Shining at all.*

*I love it. It just is NOT Stephen King's The Shining.

{hijack}Incidentally, King just got called a big old perv over at snopes.com because of his short stories. {/hijack}
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Novel... without question
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I love the story, but I will say that I am partial to film. It's one of my all-time favorites.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

And yet despite all of this, I have watched the movie a 100 times.....and still enjoy watching it.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast