+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25

Thread: That awesome deal

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a glorious beacon of light racerx45 is a glorious beacon of light racerx45 is a glorious beacon of light racerx45 is a glorious beacon of light racerx45 is a glorious beacon of light racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    I was able to get this same book 2 or 3 months ago from my favorite bookdealer. It cost me out of pocket $60 and I was extremely grateful!!! Not counting s/l posters and portfolios I am done to 2 missing pieces in my collection
    That's cool. What are the two you are missing?
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    Roland Deschain

Goldmember webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by racerx45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    I was able to get this same book 2 or 3 months ago from my favorite bookdealer. It cost me out of pocket $60 and I was extremely grateful!!! Not counting s/l posters and portfolios I am done to 2 missing pieces in my collection
    That's cool. What are the two you are missing?
    yeah... great question!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Just hit an estate sale, and for $36 out the door, I picked up the following:

UK 1st of Desperation
    US 1st of The Eyes of the Dragon
    US 1st of Danse Macabre
    US 1st of The Bachman Books

That's the good news.

The bad news, as that before I got there, they had Carrie, The Stand, Night Shift, The Waste Lands, and Salem's Lot........no idea f they were firsts or not, but I suspect they were as these books belonged to a collector...all that I saw were firsts in Brodart covers in beautiful shape.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE
    Wizard & Glass Grant 1st Edition $100
    Artist Edition of Dark Tower 7 $70
    S/L Secretary of Dreams V2 $300
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $225
    Lisey's Story ARC $25
    ABC
    XYZ

WANTED
    The Plant Part 1 Signed Limited Edition
    Battleground Lettered Edition

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post

UK 1st of Desperation
    US 1st of Danse Macabre

That's the good news.

The bad news, as that before I got there, they had Carrie, The Stand, Night Shift, The Waste Lands, and Salem's Lot........no idea f they were firsts or not, but I suspect they were as these books belonged to a collector...all that I saw were firsts in Brodart covers in beautiful shape.
    Excellent find!

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Ralph.

I bought most of them for the DJs.

I just upgraded my signed Danse Macabre from a DJ that was a "7" to one that is a "9".
    FOR SALE OR TRADE
    Lisey's Story ARC $25
    ABC
    XYZ

WANTED

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker has a reputation beyond repute Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Ralph.

I bought most of them for the DJs.

I just upgraded my signed Danse Macabre from a DJ that was a "7" to one that is a "9".
    Anytime you can upgrade from 7" to 9" is a good thing.

Oh boy, that didn't come out right.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Donate to HF Mateys! becca69 has much to be proud of becca69 has much to be proud of becca69 has much to be proud of becca69 has much to be proud of becca69 has much to be proud of becca69 has much to be proud of becca69 has much to be proud of becca69 has much to be proud of becca69 has much to be proud of becca69 has much to be proud of becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

UK 1st of Desperation
    US 1st of Danse Macabre

That's the good news.

Nice but that's too bad about the others
    WANTED:

DT II: The Drawing of the Three S/L #644 FOUND 7/9/15!

MM AGoT, MM ACoK, SP ASoS #320 - GRRM - can trade

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post

UK 1st of Desperation
    US 1st of Danse Macabre

That's the good news.

Nice but that's too bad about the others
    I've always figured that estate sales were a waste of time. Guess I was wrong. Congrats Rick!!

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

They usually are....but that one out of ten times keeps me looking......
    FOR SALE OR TRADE
    Lisey's Story ARC $25
    ABC
    XYZ

WANTED

Gunslinger Apprentice Drake69 will become famous soon enough Drake69's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

This happened several years ago, but it's something I still feel giddy about. I used to practically live in mall bookstores in the eighties and nineties when I had nothing else better to do, and back then there was B. Dalton Booksellers, Waldenbooks, Border Books, and Tower Records along with the big B&N. Anyway, I wandered into Tower Records to peruse their music and Anime movies, actually having nothing on my mind about books, when I walked past the art book section and stopped.

Now I love hardbacks and all, but I feel an incredible disdain for coffee-table-sized books as a b@stardization of gaudy reading due to their oversized height and overbearing weight, so on the whole I avoid these like the plague. BUT, I suddenly remembered I had found a previous art book called "Nightmares In The Sky" from this very store, which coincidentally, was the last time I had come in here, and decided to see if anything interesting like that showed up again (that book had completely caught me off-guard when it arrived in stores since I never followed any publications for new SK books back then...).

As I looked through the selection, this ugly bright red-and-white monster wrapped in clear plastic fell out of the bottom right corner of the shelf, hidden behind the stack of other books. It had "MY PRETTY PONY" in giant, horrendous letters across its cover, and all I could think of was the glitzy, girly, diabetic-coma-inducing cartoon show and toys that my sister played with, so naturally I was immediately repelled by it. BUT, since my sister's 11th birthday was around the corner, I figured "Cool, here is her gift... she can keep it locked in her room with all her Ponies, Care Bears, and Cabbage Patch dolls and have something to read while she looks at the pictures. I checked the price sticker on the plastic and was equally rewarded with a nice, low, coffee-table book pricing.

$2.50 plus tax - Closeout....... Sweet.

So, I hoisted up this thing and headed to the registers with a corny smile on my face (notice that I never even read the spine, not even ONCE...), and plopped it on the counter. The guy behind the register looked over at my intended purchase....

...and froze, I mean completely FROZE.... with a look on his face like I had just handed him a note saying...

"I HAVE A NUCLEAR DEVICE STRAPPED TO MY CHEST WRAPPED WITH BALL BEARINGS AND RAZOR BLADES AND WANT ALL YOUR GOLD BULLION YOU KEEP IN YOUR SAFE."

Fortunately, the assistant manager happened to be back there as well and told the guy to put the book down and he would handle the transaction. As he did this, I thought, for a moment, this guy might actually start CRYING...

Over some gaudy kids book...

...about glitter-junk...

Ohhhhh-kay.

As he was ringing me up, he then asked me how much I liked Stephen King, which I obviously thought was an odd question, and I told him that he was my all-time favorite writer, to which he responded, "Not surprising".

Curiouser and curiouser.

So, already long story now being shortened, I get this thing home, take it out of the plastic, and set it on the coffee-table for my sis to find when she got home from school later in the day, only to see the spine with "STEPHEN KING" written on it. I opened it up thinking it was probably some author who had the same name, only to find out it was really a King book I had never known about. I went back to TR and chased down the manager and got the backstory to all this.

Apparently the guy behind the counter was a big King collector like me and had ordered the book for himself, but without some sort of special approval he was supposed to have in order to get it (probably from the book dealer he had ordered it from...). THIS time it had pissed off his manager something fierce, so he tried to get the dealer to refund the money back but was refused. AND being that there was no bar code in the computer system for this item, the manager had no choice but to price out the book on the shelf, with the condition that if no one bought the book before the guy's shift ended at noon, he could claim it (and it would be the last order he would ever receive there). I looked at the time on my receipt which read "11:45 AM".

15 minutes later and I would've never even known about this book. Nice.

So... why was the price so low I asked? Since it wasn't bar coded it had to be earmarked as a special order, the only cost attachment he could find was the shipping on the item since the approval situation had been bypassed (something about the cost of the book going against the company rather than the store I guess...), so he marked it out to the only pricetag he had for it, which was $2.50 + 4.5% sales tax.

WOW.

And he wouldn't go into any details on why they didn't fire the guy, just that he was reprimanded. As if losing a limited-run SK book to a customer wasn't bad enough.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec is a splendid one to behold dnemec is a splendid one to behold dnemec is a splendid one to behold dnemec is a splendid one to behold dnemec is a splendid one to behold dnemec is a splendid one to behold dnemec is a splendid one to behold dnemec is a splendid one to behold dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Drake69 View Post
    This happened several years ago, but it's something I still feel giddy about. I used to practically live in mall bookstores in the eighties and nineties when I had nothing else better to do, and back then there was B. Dalton Booksellers, Waldenbooks, Border Books, and Tower Records along with the big B&N. Anyway, I wandered into Tower Records to peruse their music and Anime movies, actually having nothing on my mind about books, when I walked past the art book section and stopped.

Now I love hardbacks and all, but I feel an incredible disdain for coffee-table-sized books as a b@stardization of gaudy reading due to their oversized height and overbearing weight, so on the whole I avoid these like the plague. BUT, I suddenly remembered I had found a previous art book called "Nightmares In The Sky" from this very store, which coincidentally, was the last time I had come in here, and decided to see if anything interesting like that showed up again (that book had completely caught me off-guard when it arrived in stores since I never followed any publications for new SK books back then...).

As I looked through the selection, this ugly bright red-and-white monster wrapped in clear plastic fell out of the bottom right corner of the shelf, hidden behind the stack of other books. It had "MY PRETTY PONY" in giant, horrendous letters across its cover, and all I could think of was the glitzy, girly, diabetic-coma-inducing cartoon show and toys that my sister played with, so naturally I was immediately repelled by it. BUT, since my sister's 11th birthday was around the corner, I figured "Cool, here is her gift... she can keep it locked in her room with all her Ponies, Care Bears, and Cabbage Patch dolls and have something to read while she looks at the pictures. I checked the price sticker on the plastic and was equally rewarded with a nice, low, coffee-table book pricing.

So, I hoisted up this thing and headed to the registers with a corny smile on my face (notice that I never even read the spine, not even ONCE...), and plopped it on the counter. The guy behind the register looked over at my intended purchase....

...and froze, I mean completely FROZE.... with a look on his face like I had just handed him a note saying...

"I HAVE A NUCLEAR DEVICE STRAPPED TO MY CHEST WRAPPED WITH BALL BEARINGS AND RAZOR BLADES AND WANT ALL YOUR GOLD BULLION YOU KEEP IN YOUR SAFE."

Fortunately, the assistant manager happened to be back there as well and told the guy to put the book down and he would handle the transaction. As he did this, I thought, for a moment, this guy might actually start CRYING...

...about glitter-junk...

Ohhhhh-kay.

As he was ringing me up, he then asked me how much I liked Stephen King, which I obviously thought was an odd question, and I told him that he was my all-time favorite writer, to which he responded, "Not surprising".

Curiouser and curiouser.

So, already long story now being shortened, I get this thing home, take it out of the plastic, and set it on the coffee-table for my sis to find when she got home from school later in the day, only to see the spine with "STEPHEN KING" written on it. I opened it up thinking it was probably some author who had the same name, only to find out it was really a King book I had never known about. I went back to TR and chased down the manager and got the backstory to all this.

Apparently the guy behind the counter was a big King collector like me and had ordered the book for himself, but without some sort of special approval he was supposed to have in order to get it (probably from the book dealer he had ordered it from...). THIS time it had pissed off his manager something fierce, so he tried to get the dealer to refund the money back but was refused. AND being that there was no bar code in the computer system for this item, the manager had no choice but to price out the book on the shelf, with the condition that if no one bought the book before the guy's shift ended at noon, he could claim it (and it would be the last order he would ever receive there). I looked at the time on my receipt which read "11:45 AM".

So... why was the price so low I asked? Since it wasn't bar coded it had to be earmarked as a special order. The only cost attachment he could find was the shipping on the item since the approval situation had been bypassed (something about the cost of the book going against the company rather than the store I guess...), so he marked it out to the only pricetag he had for it, which was $2.50 + 4.5% sales tax.

WOW.
    I feel for the bad for the guy, but what an awesome story!

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

It literally is surreal. Goes to show that you can still find rarities among common bookstores if you just keep your eyes open!

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19 is a splendid one to behold bdwyer19's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Drake69 View Post

...about glitter-junk...

Ohhhhh-kay.

Curiouser and curiouser.

So... why was the price so low I asked? Since it wasn't bar coded it had to be earmarked as a special order, the only cost attachment he could find was the shipping on the item since the approval situation had been bypassed (something about the cost of the book going against the company rather than the store I guess...), so he marked it out to the only pricetag he had for it, which was $2.50 + 4.5% sales tax.

WOW.

And he wouldn't go into any details on why they didn't fire the guy, just that he was reprimanded. As if losing a limited-run SK book to a customer wasn't bad enough.
    All these years, and I've been trying to forget that story. Can't believe you were the guy!

Just kidding!! Great story though!!

Millionth Post Club needfulthings has a brilliant future needfulthings has a brilliant future needfulthings has a brilliant future needfulthings has a brilliant future needfulthings has a brilliant future needfulthings has a brilliant future needfulthings has a brilliant future needfulthings has a brilliant future needfulthings has a brilliant future needfulthings has a brilliant future needfulthings has a brilliant future needfulthings's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I know... hideous...

Along the Path of the Beam Hunchback Jack will become famous soon enough Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Nothing remotely as impressive as others in the thread, but ...

- UK edition of The Long Walk by Bachman for $3.75 or so. Not in great condition, but my hands were still shaking as I handed over a fiver and got back change.
    - BCA UK edition of Dolores Claiborne, new for $4.95. Am I right in thinking that's the world first edition of that book?

HBJ

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    BCA UK edition of Dolores Claiborne, new for $4.95. Am I right in thinking that's the world first edition of that book?
    HBJ
    Yes, if it is a first printing. They must be at the thirtieth impression by now.
    I have PS - Skeleton Crew Signed/Lettered for Sale, Trade or Swap. Layaway possible
    I soon will have PS - 'Salem's Lot Signed/Lettered for Sale. Trade or Swap. Layaway possible

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25