+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: That awesome deal

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a glorious beacon of light Rahfa is a glorious beacon of light Rahfa is a glorious beacon of light Rahfa is a glorious beacon of light Rahfa is a glorious beacon of light Rahfa is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    I have been collecting for 20 years, own over 400 books, almost 2/3rds signed by King, and I cannot come close to any of your amazing stories!

The closest I can come I think was that I had purchased the S/L Wizard & Glass on eBay (#296) for about $300 (back before any inkling that DT V-VII were in the works) and was looking through ABE.com and saw that a bookseller in NY (Marianna Fontana) had listed seperately DT S/L I, II, and III all #296 for sale. I bought all 3 for about $3000, and thus I was on my way to putting together my first complete same-numbered DT S/L set. And while the price was low compared to what the books are worth today, I thought it was unbelievable luck that I could put together a same-number set "the hard way." That set is among my favorite collectibles in my collection and has been subsequently augmented by:

#296 UK Wizard & Glass S/L
    #296 S/L Gunslinger audio tapes read by King
    #296 of all 4 DT prints by Michael Whelan
    I actually bought a DT I #71 for $1500 (a high price at the time, though not now)...then Mik at Grant Books had #71 of DT III and IV as well as Desperation for $1800...THEN I've since stumbled on Christine, Danse Macarbe, Night Visions, Dark Dreamers #71...and all the various editions I've been able to get at issue price, for a total of about 21 all with #71.

Other than the prices I mentioned, I have to say that I've been lucky to never have to pay significantly above market price for many of them...but, other than recent limiteds that I got at issue price, I haven't really gotten bargains either.

I am still missing DT 2 -DOTT #71, but I do have the $56 Author's Edition as a placeholder...

I even had two of three Plants with the same number, but I had to let them go...oh well...

Manni Folken Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Best deals:
    Nona German mini book 5.- Euro
    French Promo Birdcage for Dark Half 15.- EURO
    Heart Shaped Box Joe Hill 1st ed pb signed. 3.- Euro
    LETTERED Life in the Cinema 99.- $

My collection
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...on-Stockerlone

GERMANY-FIFA Worldchampion 2014

SALE
    Stephen King promo telefon card
    Desperation/Regulator Flip-over ARC Leseexemplar

Gunslinger Apprentice Resident Chris is on a distinguished road Resident Chris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My Best Deals: 3 Transgalaxis (Schwarz, Sie, Augen des Drachen) Leatherbound for 75 Euros
    My Wishlist: Gift Editions
    Green Mile
    Talisman
    One for the Road
    It Gift Ed.

Citizen of Gilead willie3 will become famous soon enough willie3 will become famous soon enough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nothing near as cool as the rest of you, but I ended up buying near mint unread copy of Rage for $100 from a member of SKEEMERS a year or so ago.

Karl
    It will all work if you let it...

@Librarything

@Goodreads

"If you ain't First, you're last."
    Ricky Bobby

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

If gifts count I got a 1st/1st Gunslinger personalized to me by King from my dear friends here.

It stands second only to Dora's love as the greatest gift ever given to me.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just posted this in the "Pride & Joy" thread, for some reason I don't remember stumbling across this thread before, thnaks to John for pointing the way...

Stopped at the used book store today while out running some errands and stumbled across this one.... Yes it's an ex-library and the covers a little beat up but it is a 1st edition and only cost me $1 so I couldn't pass it up. An interesting side note is that it is from the school library where I went to High School many years ago...

Sorry about the glare

Country
    Country Flag

Default Another great deal.....

Well not exactly.

I was hoping to post another great find, but no such luck. When ordering it I knew it seemed to good to be true but I had to take the chance, the picture and description were correct.

When it arrived in the mail today I knew the package was way to small for what I ordered. For only $100 this is what I received today...

It is a BCE copy with no DJ and a former Owner's name "whited" out inside.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What was it supposed to be?

Gunslinger jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks like a Regulators hardcover.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice LineofEld is on a distinguished road LineofEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I bought a nice hardcover Nightmares and Dreamscapes with a well cared for DJ at my local used bookstore this morning for $0.85. Nothing special, just a book. But I was proud!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a glorious beacon of light Rahfa is a glorious beacon of light Rahfa is a glorious beacon of light Rahfa is a glorious beacon of light Rahfa is a glorious beacon of light Rahfa is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyD023 View Post
    Well not exactly.

I was hoping to post another great find, but no such luck. When ordering it I knew it seemed to good to be true but I had to take the chance, the picture and description were correct.

When it arrived in the mail today I knew the package was way to small for what I ordered. For only $100 this is what I received today...

We're you expecting the s/l edition???

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Well not exactly.

We're you expecting the s/l edition???

It was supposed to be the Hodder & Stoughton Signed Limited Edition Desperation/Regulators.

I knew it was probabaly to good to be true but I had to take the chance in hopes of finding "That Awesome Deal." I will be getting my money back so I am not out anything but I sure would have loved to be able get those books for $100.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of Mr. Rabbit Trick has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

It was supposed to be the Hodder & Stoughton Signed Limited Edition Desperation/Regulators.
    FYI: Only Desperation was signed (on a bookplate) on this set.

One Mean Ass MOFO Sir_Boomme has a brilliant future Sir_Boomme has a brilliant future Sir_Boomme has a brilliant future Sir_Boomme has a brilliant future Sir_Boomme has a brilliant future Sir_Boomme has a brilliant future Sir_Boomme has a brilliant future Sir_Boomme has a brilliant future Sir_Boomme has a brilliant future Sir_Boomme has a brilliant future Sir_Boomme has a brilliant future Sir_Boomme's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

went to a little 2nd hand book store in waco texas a few years ago, scanned all the shelves and didn't find any thing... was on my way out the door and saw this copy of Rage sitting on a file cabinet behind the counter.

I asked the little old lady who owned the place how much she wanted for it.... she said she hadn't seen many of them around, so she wasn't really selling it.
    I said... if you were to decide to sell it.... how much would you sell it for.
    She says, well let me go do a little research on the computer, and went to the backroom. Of course I was like... so much for a good deal now... but she comes back in after a few minutes and says, I'll let you have it for 6 bucks.
    Me, being the cheap ass I am, while trying to keep from shaking," Does that include tax?"

she says yes and I get it for $6.00 . It's not in fine shape.... but hey, only 6 bucks..... though my soul is probably going to hell for taking the litte old lady ha ha.
    I'd feel bad, but she probably paid 25 cents for it in a trade, since most of the paperbacks she sold for 50 cents.
    Only thing I can figure out is that when she "researched it" she must have only found info. on the paperback copy of the bachman books.

anyway... this is probably my best deal... unlike wiz, I don't have friends here who send me signed/personalized-to-me King books...which has to be the best deal ever. If any of you decide you want to be my best friend though... I'll send you my address.

[SIGPI]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/477/19049912626_d4e646d6ff_t.jpg[/img [/SIGPIC]

Roont Brice is a splendid one to behold Brice is a splendid one to behold Brice is a splendid one to behold Brice is a splendid one to behold Brice is a splendid one to behold Brice is a splendid one to behold Brice is a splendid one to behold Brice is a splendid one to behold Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

So...ummm...you'd have walked out on it if she said you had to pay the tax on it, right?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    Iíll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A french (HC) creepshow, 2nd print.. for 15€ !

I recieved an alert by email, saw it.. I knew the details were wrong (was mentionning the american publication date), but i knew that in the worst case i'd open a dispute.
    the cheaper copy i had ever seen!
    I bought my 1st print (7 years ago? when ebay wasnt that common), for 25€! Nowadays...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING) : on : Facebook | Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE :

- French copies of RAGE,
    - Secretary of the Dreams, vol. 2 : uncorrected proof,
    - Just After Sunset, UK partial uncorrected proof

Gunslinger Apprentice nyy3723a is on a distinguished road nyy3723a's Avatar

The best I ever got was the signed (not slipcased) edition of PostScripts #10 for $55.

I picked up a S/L Six Stories for either $300 or $350 a couple of years ago. I breathed a little sigh of relief when it showed up well packaged as it was coming from the UK.
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

Gunslinger jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic has much to be proud of jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That was a great deal, Tomas! Congratulations!

John

Weedeater frik is a jewel in the rough frik is a jewel in the rough frik is a jewel in the rough frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some amazing deals here.
    The only thing I can think of is I got lucky with the The Eyes of the Dragon lottery (the Philtrum edition) and all I had to pay was $100.00 ......At the time quite a large sum of money, but still a good deal..yes??!!

sk

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the price of that one was actually a total of $120--it included the $20 for shipping. Still, a great deal. (I was lucky enough to get one also.)

John

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Back in 1998, I was lucky enough to find a copy of Six Stories for $250. Even then the book was selling for around $500. I had to sell it about 18 months after that and actually received an offer of $800 the day after I sold it for $500. Such is life though.

My most recent awesome deal was a non-King related item. I was able to get a Dark Horse comics Shiro (a comic character) statue that originally sold for around $175 for the princely sum of $37.00 total. That means with shipping and everything people. You can still find the statue on ebay and sellers want aroun $150 for it. The statue is in mint condition with zero defects.

Not King related, but certainly something I've been chasing for nearly 4 years.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

A long time ago, somebody was offering a Six Stories on some Usenet site...they said that it was beat up, and they would just take a high bid...I figured I'd take a chance at $110 on the chance that nobody would bid higher than $100.

I was right...then I had to trust her to send it...then had to hope it actually wasn't completely ruined.

It was beat-up, but not horribly...had a few tears on the cover, and one dime-sized chunk torn out...but def. readable and neat to have.

Best part...a few years later I sold it for $400, damage and all...

Breaker The Library Policeman has much to be proud of The Library Policeman has much to be proud of The Library Policeman has much to be proud of The Library Policeman has much to be proud of The Library Policeman has much to be proud of The Library Policeman has much to be proud of The Library Policeman has much to be proud of The Library Policeman has much to be proud of The Library Policeman has much to be proud of The Library Policeman has much to be proud of The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

I got my signed limited scribner Under The Dome on ebay for $192. That's $8 under published price if Im not mistaken.

8 dollars is 8 dollars

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just realized I hadn't contributed my awesome deal:

Back when the s/l Cujo came out, I'd been dealing a lot with a book dealer by mail. On a business trip to his home town, I went down to see him. He had a few s/l Cujo editions for sale, but he said they weren't moving. He offered me one for $60 (list price was $75) so I grabbed one. I wish now that I'd bought all he had. Who knew?

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast