Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 315 of 1297 FirstFirst ... 215 265 305 313 314 315 316 317 325 365 415 815 ... LastLast
Results 7,851 to 7,875 of 32414

Thread: Your New Pride and Joy!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Just catching up on pages of posts in this thread. It always makes me happy to see how my friends are expanding their collections!

Over the past weekend while out of town, I picked up a little book signed by King some time ago. From what I could tell, the store had only had it in their inventory for nine days, so maybe I got lucky. Then again, maybe not. Honestly I hadn't heard of the book before buying it.

I really need to get a camera so I can post photos. (No camera, not even on my cellphone, until I make it to the store.)
    I finally got a new camera. These are just about the first photos I've taken with it. Anything that looks like a scratch is just a trick of the camera flash on the protective cover.

I'm interested in what others think: unique, humdrum, real or fake sig, estimated worth, whatever.

SHADOWS, edited by Charles L. Grant

Doubleday & Company, Inc., 1978
    First edition. Unclipped dust jacket.
    Publisher's "Review Copy" sheet (dated 9/15/1978 ) laid in.

Inscribed, signed and dated (9/8/1979 ) by Stephen King on the Contents page next to the listing for his story, "Nona"

I have no idea who Randy is or was, but he seemed to have had an interesting collection based on the inscribed, signed books he sold to Powell's Rare Book Room.

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

Just catching up on pages of posts in this thread. It always makes me happy to see how my friends are expanding their collections!

Over the past weekend while out of town, I picked up a little book signed by King some time ago. From what I could tell, the store had only had it in their inventory for nine days, so maybe I got lucky. Then again, maybe not. Honestly I hadn't heard of the book before buying it.

I really need to get a camera so I can post photos. (No camera, not even on my cellphone, until I make it to the store.)
    I finally got a new camera. These are just about the first photos I've taken with it. Anything that looks like a scratch is just a trick of the camera flash on the protective cover.

I'm interested in what others think: unique, humdrum, real or fake sig, estimated worth, whatever.

Inscribed, signed and dated (9/8/1979 ) by Stephen King on the Contents page next to the listing for his story, "Nona"

I have no idea who Randy is or was, but he seemed to have had an interesting collection based on the inscribed, signed books he sold to Powell's Rare Book Room.
    That actually makes me feel very sad. When I went to see SK on the Bag of Bones tour, this book was one of three I asked him to sign. BofB was one, my Wiz & Glass promo booklet was the second (now proudly residing on Brice's bookshelves) and the above was the third...and King refused to sign it. No reason given (no time for conversation), just a "Sorry, I won't sign that one".
    Calla Wolf

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

That sig looks legit to me.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick

The sig is real. A very nice book to have by the way. Sorry Randy (whoever he is) had to let it go but glad to see where it ended up. Hang onto it.

Brice

That record is awesome. Congrats.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love it Patrick! Congratulations!

And thanks everyone. I'm very very happy with my new items.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't understand why he'd refuse to sign it
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course, congratulations Brice and Patrick!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats to all. Some great new stuff there people!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Because he had already signed 2 things for him.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

A guy just contacted me looking to authenticate a signature. He purchased a 1978 hardcover version of The Stand signed by King at a yard sale in Biddeford Maine for $1!

Signature is completely authentic...short inscription and dated 2/1/80. Not a first edition (T45 in gutter). Book is VG and DJ is Fair only, but for a $1 and a real King sig...that's an AWESOME deal.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed! WOW!

John

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, guys.

I bought the book at Powell's while in Portland on a beer drinking trip.
    While Powell's always has something I want, their prices are generally always way too high for me. This book though seemed reasonably priced and had only been in their inventory for nine days. The sig looked good, but knowing nothing about the book itself, I had a text message exchange with our own Jerome (while in the library-quiet Rare Book Room a phone call wouldn't do). Based on my written description (no cellphone camera), he confirmed my opinion that it was likely a worthwhile purchase. Thanks again for the assistance by sharing your expert opinion, Jerome.

A question for the group:

I would think the publisher's Review Copy card, and the dates on that card and on the sig by King, implies that this would qualify as some version of an ARC signed prior to the book's general release. Does that sound correct or am I way off?

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I would think the publisher's Review Copy card, and the dates on that card and on the sig by King, implies that this would qualify as some version of an ARC signed prior to the book's general release. Does that sound correct or am I way off?
    Spot on.

Country
    Country Flag

Lucky Bar Steward!

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just received these in the mail today.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you, Mr. R.T.

Congrats, Skippy. Gotta love Hill-signed comics!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't signed prior to the book's general release. The review slip laid in states the publication date to be 9/15/78. The signature is dated nearly one year later at 9/8/79.

Those review slips can be problematic to anal collectors (and aren't we all?). One can never be sure if they are laid in to the original book. I know that they sometimes get moved from worn copies of books into nicer ones.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Bob. I need to get more sleep.

Good point about the cards. When I bought the book I was thinking that they seemed easily portable between copies of the book. However I would have made the purchase regardless, so ultimately the card was a desirable attribute but not a deciding factor.

This isn't new but it is definitely a pride and joy. One of those "long" proofs that Doubleday (and other publishers) did back in the 1970's. Since we are talking about advance states of the anthology SHADOWS:

It's the only one I have ever seen for sale (and believe me, I have looked!).

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I remember seeing that photo before... good stuff!!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

John

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice, Bob!

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Because he had already signed 2 things for him.
    Actually, it was the first thing I handed to him <shrug>
    Calla Wolf

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Calla_Wolf View Post

That actually makes me feel very sad. When I went to see SK on the Bag of Bones tour, this book was one of three I asked him to sign. BofB was one, my Wiz & Glass promo booklet was the second (now proudly residing on Brice's bookshelves) and the above was the third...and King refused to sign it. No reason given (no time for conversation), just a "Sorry, I won't sign that one".
    How funny...I have a signed 1st/1st of The Dead Zone signed the exact same day...9/8/79...must have been from the "mail in" pile.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That's interesting, Rahfa. Merlin1958 also has a King book inscribed to "Randy" dated 1983 (photos in his collection thread). When I was at Powell's in Portland, they had a few other books inscribed to Randy, but none really grabbed my attention. I'd like to know who this Randy is (or was) because he seems to have built a decent collection.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 315 of 1297 FirstFirst ... 215 265 305 313 314 315 316 317 325 365 415 815 ... LastLast