Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: International purchasing and shipping help-Members assist each other

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    This might be useful to post this here. Check out bookdepository.com. They ship FREE worldwide

http://www.bookdepository.com/

Disclaimer: I have not used them before but I plan to in the near future
    I have, I've bought 20 books from them in the last few weeks and no problems, I was a bit hesitant to use them at first due to unfavorable reviews online but I thought I would give them a go and it's worked out so far

Be aware that even if you order like ten books they will all ship separately, one of book depository's funny quirks lol.

Also if you shop from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/givemefive and follow the instructions you get 5% off, remember that takes you to the UK site so be sure to check the prices between the two sites first.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've bought the UK Horns from Book Depository. It was 11 dollars with free shipping. Book was packed well. I'd definitely buy from them again.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Book was packed well.
    That's great to know. It was my main concern when buying from an overseas bookstore.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Under the Dome UK Covers: WTF?

http://www.underthedome.co.uk/

Anyone else get the vibe that they just took photos of random people and said "What the hell, let's just throw it in"?

Not only do they really look nothing like the characters (look at Barbie) but the rest of the character selections are really random. I mean, Samantha Bushey? Janelle Everett? Really? You'd think they chose characters that actually had an impact on the plot. Off the top of my head, Scarecrow Joe, Big Jim Rennie, and Julia Shumway would have been much better choices if you're going to do photo covers of different characters.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I think the Tesco-only cover is Scarecrow Joe. Also, you can order a five-pack from Tesco.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I should've got the hardback! I've never liked photo covers. Just feels tacky and cheesy, to me. Unfortunatly, we in the UK have been guilty of them. I thought they were just for Martina Cole novels now, but Stephen King? Really? And no paperback with the hardback cover? Shoot!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I think the Tesco-only cover is Scarecrow Joe.
    No, that's Ollie Dinsmore apparently.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I think the Tesco-only cover is Scarecrow Joe. Also, you can order a five-pack from Tesco.
    I tried to get an account on Tesco, but they said I needed a post code. Does the US have a post code?

I wonder if Tesco delivers outside the UK to the US?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I don't think so, pixiedark76: it is primarily a supermarket after all. I think the different cover are less for collector's interests and just another way to get people to buy their food!

And, despite the fact that I'm against photo covers more than anyone (especially when those photo covers don't even accurately portray the characters they're supposed to be!), I bought a copy anyway. Bloody WHSmith's with it's half priced offers!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I really want to buy the 5 pack of Under the Dome books from Tesco, but I can't get an account.

I wonder if someone in the UK could buy it for me and then I could pay the person when the book gets shipped to me?

Gunslinger Apprentice boq is on a distinguished road boq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would do that for you pixiedark76.

My local large supermarket that I use all the time is a Tesco, and I've just checked and appear to have an account with them. Must have registered years ago and forgotten all about it.
    Anyway, checking online I can buy the shrinkwrapped set for £27.97 with £2.74 postage, although I can easily check if I can walk in and buy the set straight off the shelf tomorrow.
    I'm guessing this would be a hefty package though... shipping could be pretty expensive. Again, I can look into this for you if you're really keen on the set?

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes I would be interested. Thank you. We could keep in touch and work out the details of payment.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Here is a picture of the SIX UK paperbacks of UTD.

Country
    Country Flag

pixiedark76 - been checking out the details of the set. As DoctorDodge says above, the books can be picked up for a fraction of the cost from WH Smith in the UK... £3.20 a piece, making it only £16 for the set compared to Tesco's almost £31 (has to be ordered online). The difference being that only Tesco offers the 5 as a shrinkwrapped set. I'm assuming if I check out both my local WH Smith stores I'll be able to assemble a set of 5 different covers. I'm guessing it'll depend on how much you want the actual physical shrinkwrap itself?
    I also took the opportunity to weigh one of the books in Tesco... it appears to weigh somewhere between 580 and 600g, meaning the 5 are going to weigh around 3Kg. I'll check with Royal Mail how much that's going to cost to ship.
    I'll pm you once I've got all the details gathered...

Mr. Trick... thanks for the pic. Whereabouts in Scotland are you? I'm in sunny Bathgate, West Lothian. Bang in the middle between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by boq View Post
    Mr. Trick... thanks for the pic. Whereabouts in Scotland are you? I'm in sunny Bathgate, West Lothian. Bang in the middle between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
    The 5 book package weighs 3Kg.

The 5th book is only available from Tesco, and the limited edition 1/100 postcards only come with the set of 5.

I live south of Aberdeen, (for work), but I'm from Troon originally.

Country
    Country Flag

Great info... thanks.

Troon!? I lived in Irvine for three years back in the late 80's... my first real job and first (tiny) flat. Had a great time and absolutely loved it. Ayrshire folks are some of the best in Scotland. Sure miss the view of beautiful Arran on a sunny day.
    Come to think of it, that's where I first started reading The Dark Tower

Country
    Country Flag

Oof! Just worked out shipping for an (estimated) 4Kg package (with packing - I guessed an extra kilo, but it'll probably be lighter than that).
    Shipping would be around £24 with Royal Mail! What's that?... about $40. Almost as much as the books themselves. Scary.
    Let me know what you think pixiedark76.

Country
    Country Flag

Sure miss the view of beautiful Arran on a sunny day.
    Me too. There are no islands on the East coast. There is nothing to see but sea! And it's freezin'.

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I will have to take a day or so to think about it. That is a lot of money in shipping and handling.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    I will have to take a day or so to think about it. That is a lot of money in shipping and handling.
    It's not that much...

This set has just sold for $195 on eBay. The seller has 9 sets left.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=290457685509

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure if here's another carrier I can use? I've rarely shipped across the Atlantic and always just use what I used the last time... Royal Mail. I'll look into it.
    Any tips appreciated.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to merge this into the International purchasing and shipping help-Members assist each other thread in Calvin's Corner. Good luck.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would do that for you pixiedark76.

My local large supermarket that I use all the time is a Tesco, and I've just checked and appear to have an account with them. Must have registered years ago and forgotten all about it.
    Anyway, checking online I can buy the shrinkwrapped set for £27.97 with £2.74 postage, although I can easily check if I can walk in and buy the set straight off the shelf tomorrow.
    I'm guessing this would be a hefty package though... shipping could be pretty expensive. Again, I can look into this for you if you're really keen on the set?
    I ordered a set (arrived Sat), if you do order one make sure to use the code FREEDELIVERY2010 in the checkout process, saves the £2.74 postage then.

Tesco have a cheek charging for postage when all there competitors (play, Amazon, Book Depos) have free del with no min spend.

Oh and the box the set arrives in is complete pooh, it came busted through in one corner but the books are fine.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great info... thanks.

Troon!? I lived in Irvine for three years back in the late 80's... my first real job and first (tiny) flat. Had a great time and absolutely loved it. Ayrshire folks are some of the best in Scotland. Sure miss the view of beautiful Arran on a sunny day.
    Come to think of it, that's where I first started reading The Dark Tower
    Culzean castle is really nice :-)
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Country
    Country Flag

Aye it is! Only ever visited once, but it was a bonnie day and I was with my pals

Regarding shipping from the UK to the US, is there an easy answer to there being someone who'll handle things cheaper than the Royal Mail? I've had a quick browse and every other option I find is pure extortion compared to what they offer
    All advice appreciated, as ever

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast