+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21

Thread: International purchasing and shipping help-Members assist each other

Rabid Billybumbler peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thought this belonged on this thread...

I just purchased a book from a UK seller (who I know well) and he sent me a "Transferwise" transaction request. Not sure if anyone's familiar with this (or apologies if it's been discussed on these boards before)? For international transactions, this seems to be far cheaper option than PayPal in two ways: The exchange rate it used between AUD and GBP was almost exactly the actual exchange rate (not reduced after PayPal, or a bank, takes a cut) and the fees are very low variable depending on your payment method (bank transfer versus credit card). on 500 pound transaction, I saved around $60AUD compared to what I would have paid. The seller was telling me that it's 6 - 8x cheaper for him to use Transferwise than PayPal. I haven't done the maths to see whether it's cheaper than a PayPal "Friends / Family" option for international purchases, but it may well be, given its generosity on the exchange rate.

Honky Mahfah Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Thought this belonged on this thread...

I just purchased a book from a UK seller (who I know well) and he sent me a "Transferwise" transaction request. Not sure if anyone's familiar with this (or apologies if it's been discussed on these boards before)? For international transactions, this seems to be far cheaper option than PayPal in two ways: The exchange rate it used between AUD and GBP was almost exactly the actual exchange rate (not reduced after PayPal, or a bank, takes a cut) and the fees are very low variable depending on your payment method (bank transfer versus credit card). on 500 pound transaction, I saved around $60AUD compared to what I would have paid. The seller was telling me that it's 6 - 8x cheaper for him to use Transferwise than PayPal. I haven't done the maths to see whether it's cheaper than a PayPal "Friends / Family" option for international purchases, but it may well be, given its generosity on the exchange rate.
    It usually cost me a $2.99 US fee with I use F&F to pay Simon. I say Simon because he's the UK person I primarily deal with as far as F&F. I pay Jeff Whiley in the same way but not near as often. When purchasing from UK vendors of companies via PayPal (not F&F), I'm not charged that fee. I wonder if they eat that cost on their end.
    "Any area of collecting only becomes really worth it when shared with like minded people"-Alec aka Anonymous

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    When purchasing from UK vendors of companies via PayPal (not F&F), I'm not charged that fee. I wonder if they eat that cost on their end.
    Yes, they do.
    It's the end of the world as we know it.
    And I feel fine.

Rabid Billybumbler peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The savings seem to be at the exchange rate: The "actual" exchange rate for the AUD / GBP at the time was 0.546. Transferwise charged me 0.54 (actual exchange). PayPal was going to charge me 0.48 on the same transaction (criminal - 6c lower, per pound). Still, not sure if this trumps PayPal 'friends / fam' option, I'll have to look into it further, but online reviews seem to be lauding it over PayPal...

Goldmember herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am VERY tempted to get 2 of the CLUES game with the IT licencing
    > https://amzn.to/2XSD7Sf

Could anyone please help me?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter

Honky Mahfah Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I am VERY tempted to get 2 of the CLUES game with the IT licencing
    > https://amzn.to/2XSD7Sf

Could anyone please help me?
    Still need help with this, Jeremy?
    "Any area of collecting only becomes really worth it when shared with like minded people"-Alec aka Anonymous

Goldmember herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes please. I'll send you a DM
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21